Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK pension for my US wife

UK pension for my US wife

Old May 26th 2014, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Whitesands is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK pension for my US wife

My US wife will be 62 this year and I believe I can claim some pension for her, I'm really not sure how I go about this, I'm sure when I claimed my pension 4 years ago that I informed them that I was married.
Is there anything I need to like a form to file.

Would appreciate any help.

Ivan.
Old May 26th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension for my US wife

you may be out of luck in 2016 when the new pension laws kick in, but you might as well apply now and get as much as you can until then.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22423878

From 2016, entitlement to a state pension will depend on an individual's own contributions, rather than the employment record of their spouse.
Old May 26th 2014, 2:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
you may be out of luck in 2016 when the new pension laws kick in, but you might as well apply now and get as much as you can until then.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22423878
But here's another quote from that BBC article;

The measure to be announced in the Queen's Speech on Wednesday will not affect existing claimants

Doesn't that mean the new restriction will only apply to new retirees under the new, 2016 and forward, system? If so, Whitesands and wife should be good for life if she's entitled to a pension?
Old May 26th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitesands
My US wife will be 62 this year and I believe I can claim some pension for her, I'm really not sure how I go about this, I'm sure when I claimed my pension 4 years ago that I informed them that I was married.
Is there anything I need to like a form to file.

Would appreciate any help.

Ivan.
Looks like she qualifies under current pension rules, not the new ones.

See this:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

under:
Married or in a civil partnership

Not sure what your wife's birth date is but if, for example, she was born on 1st August 1952, she would be eligible for the UK State Pension on 6th November 2014 and could get her pension pack in July.

Go into this to check:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension
Old May 26th 2014, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Whitesands is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.
Do I need to fill out a new BR1? or will the pension kick in automatically?
Old May 26th 2014, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitesands
Thanks for the replies.
Do I need to fill out a new BR1? or will the pension kick in automatically?
At the bottom of the Married or in a civil partnership piece that I provided it refers to YOU which is your spouse and says

"You do this through claiming your State Pension."

click on the 'claiming your State Pension' button and you'll see the instructions.

I note that even if you hadn't claimed your pension (i.e. you had deferred) she can still go ahead and claim hers.
Old May 26th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But here's another quote from that BBC article;

Doesn't that mean the new restriction will only apply to new retirees under the new, 2016 and forward, system? If so, Whitesands and wife should be good for life if she's entitled to a pension?
That's how it reads to me which is why I suggested above that he go ahead and apply right away. Even if they revoke existing spouse pensions his spouse will get some benefits, but it is likely they will grandfather in existing spouses receiving pensions.
Old May 26th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
That's how it reads to me which is why I suggested above that he go ahead and apply right away. Even if they revoke existing spouse pensions his spouse will get some benefits, but it is likely they will grandfather in existing spouses receiving pensions.
per same BBC article:

"British pensioners and their families who currently live overseas and make such claims would not be affected." suggests that if you are in you are in.