Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VISAs and future changes

VISAs and future changes

Old Feb 5th 2017, 5:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISAs and future changes

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
..you may be able to get a mortgage but at rates so bad that it's not worth it.
On the other hand I am willing to bet that the extra interest that someone might have to pay would be a good bit less than the rent they would be paying. Plus they are not tied to a bad rate as a remortgage for a better rate when the credit history improves is an option.

I trust your Polish friend is not a financial consultant.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 5th 2017 at 5:35 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Coincidently I've just heard back from VISA attourney from employer, I will be eligible for e-2 via multinational manager status.

This had come sooner than expected (was told 6-8 weeks), this is 2 weeks in.

My question now is, anyone suggest how long until I can legally fly?

I think steps are: interview at US embassy, no date yet, suppose 1-2 weeks?
Then send off passports, another 1-2 weeks?

Is that it?
Old Feb 5th 2017, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Coincidently I've just heard back from VISA attourney from employer, I will be eligible for e-2 via multinational manager status.

My question now is, anyone suggest how long until I can legally fly? .....
When you get your visa. An RFE, or random administrative delay could easily push things back a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

MrGlasgow is an unknown quantity at this point

My question now is, anyone suggest how long until I can legally fly?

I think steps are: interview at US embassy, no date yet, suppose 1-2 weeks?
Then send off passports, another 1-2 weeks?

Is that it?
Expect at least 4-6 weeks from now to get an appointment at London embassy for e2. Then 1 week after an interview if visa is approved.(that's my recent experience)
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrGlasgow
Expect at least 4-6 weeks from now to get an appointment at London embassy for e2. Then 1 week after an interview if visa is approved.(that's my recent experience)
Great, thank you.

Since posting I got a date, 22nd Feb so pretty soon already.

Since you recently went through it, was it scary or formality? Anything tricky or notable? Any pitfalls?

Seems from what I read a large component of the time at the embassy is waiting in queues, both inside and outside!
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you.

Since posting I got a date, 22nd Feb so pretty soon already.

Since you recently went through it, was it scary or formality? Anything tricky or notable? Any pitfalls?

Seems from what I read a large component of the time at the embassy is waiting in queues, both inside and outside!
That's Great.

It all depends upon your paperwork and your job profile. I was asked many questions related to my past travels/my current and future job (in US). Key bit is "confidence".

Regarding waiting, I guess we were very lucky, our appt was @8 am, hardly any queue, security and other embassy folks were friendly .

All completed in less than 2 hours.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

We had a lot of queueing...even with an early Visa appointment!

You queue outside to get into the screening hut. The e2 visa people are on a different list to everyone else and when I got there, they didn't have the list yet. Tell the girl you're e2 as they tried to search for me 3 or 4 times before realising that it was a different list.

When you get inside the process is fairly straight forward - sit and wait for your number to be called, then go to the window they tell you to go to. At this window they do a few bits but it's not the 'interview'.

Back to the waiting area for your number to be called again.

This time it was for the actual interview.

To be honest, the interview was pretty straight forward - about 6 or 8 simple questions such as what you doing, where, why, how are you funding etc. He asked me one question that was wrong (You're funding all this through mortgaging your property, right?) which was incorrect. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to trick me or had me confused with another e2 applicant.

He dispatched me to another window to pay the reciprocal visa fee (per person) - have US Dollars if possible - so much easier.

Back to the interview window and he told me I was getting 5 years e2 and kept my documents.

You then have to go back outside, walk around the embassy to another entrance and pay for your passports to be returned with the visa included. Paid in £ on a card. I don't think they took cash, but can't quite remember.

Our passports were with us 3 days after the issuance date (which was the day after the interview).

Then we were on our way.

Top tip - get to London early and head to The Dorchester for 7am. Have breakfast there. Nice walk from there to the embassy. Have the Dorchester Bacon Buttie - absolutely awesome and filling
Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrGlasgow
That's Great.

It all depends upon your paperwork and your job profile. I was asked many questions related to my past travels/my current and future job (in US). Key bit is "confidence".

Regarding waiting, I guess we were very lucky, our appt was @8 am, hardly any queue, security and other embassy folks were friendly .

All completed in less than 2 hours.
Thanks. Our interview is at 8am also (an early start!) and I hope it goes similarly

What are the total fees, looks like each it is $105 plus some other fee in £
Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Moose
We had a lot of queueing...even with an early Visa appointment!

You queue outside to get into the screening hut. The e2 visa people are on a different list to everyone else and when I got there, they didn't have the list yet. Tell the girl you're e2 as they tried to search for me 3 or 4 times before realising that it was a different list.

When you get inside the process is fairly straight forward - sit and wait for your number to be called, then go to the window they tell you to go to. At this window they do a few bits but it's not the 'interview'.

Back to the waiting area for your number to be called again.

This time it was for the actual interview.

To be honest, the interview was pretty straight forward - about 6 or 8 simple questions such as what you doing, where, why, how are you funding etc. He asked me one question that was wrong (You're funding all this through mortgaging your property, right?) which was incorrect. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to trick me or had me confused with another e2 applicant.

He dispatched me to another window to pay the reciprocal visa fee (per person) - have US Dollars if possible - so much easier.

Back to the interview window and he told me I was getting 5 years e2 and kept my documents.

You then have to go back outside, walk around the embassy to another entrance and pay for your passports to be returned with the visa included. Paid in £ on a card. I don't think they took cash, but can't quite remember.

Our passports were with us 3 days after the issuance date (which was the day after the interview).

Then we were on our way.

Top tip - get to London early and head to The Dorchester for 7am. Have breakfast there. Nice walk from there to the embassy. Have the Dorchester Bacon Buttie - absolutely awesome and filling
Great advice, that really helps us know what to expect.

Doesn't sound too bad, in theory. Hope it goes as smoothly as you describe.

Dorchester Bacon Buttie sounds immense, I like that idea.

What time do you recommend arriving at the embassy if our appointment is 8am also, about 7:40am?
Old Feb 9th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Our interview is at 8am also (an early start!) and I hope it goes similarly

I believe ALL appointments are for 8am.

Last time we went (albeit several years ago), we asked for a later appointment and was told there was none.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Great advice, that really helps us know what to expect.

Doesn't sound too bad, in theory. Hope it goes as smoothly as you describe.

Dorchester Bacon Buttie sounds immense, I like that idea.

What time do you recommend arriving at the embassy if our appointment is 8am also, about 7:40am?
We got there at 7:59am and there was a bit of a queue but it didn't take that long in reality - we were out in plenty of time to do a bit of shopping and get some lunch etc.

I must say, it was something that we went to worried about how intense it'd be, to find it was so much easier and more simple.

I got the impression that by the time you get to go to the interview, they've already made the decision and if you don't get it you've really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

Good luck and take magazine/news paper. Oh, and there's basically no food or drink once you get in there.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I believe ALL appointments are for 8am.

Last time we went (albeit several years ago), we asked for a later appointment and was told there was none.
It may depend on what you're there for - I got a variety of options for my appointments (L-1). Although it's not really an "appointment", it's a tool to stagger people so they arrive throughout the morning instead of all at once. If you're travelling from out of London like I did, just get to the embassy as soon as you can and get in the queue, regardless of your appointment time. Some people are early, some are late - it all evens out in the end!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I got the impression that by the time you get to go to the interview, they've already made the decision and if you don't get it you've really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! ......
All the empirical evidence I have ever seen and heard would suggest that it is almost always true.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I got the impression that by the time you get to go to the interview, they've already made the decision and if you don't get it you've really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

Good luck and take magazine/news paper. Oh, and there's basically no food or drink once you get in there.
Here's hoping we don't manage to snatch defeat then! Thanks for the luck.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

$105 + (card foreign usage charges. Well, When you are in embassy, in theory you are in America.).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.