Reload this Page >

Visas/Applications

Visas/Applications

Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:04 pm
lbs
Just Joined

lbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas/Applications

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, so I apologise. But I am new to this and would like some info if possible.

My boyfriend and I would like to make the move from London to LA. We are not looking to move permanently, just for a year or two. I work in IT and my boyfriend works in an office management job. So, how easy/hard is it going to be get visas to move? What should we be applying for? Do we need to have job offers before we go? Do we need a lawyer?

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. We have read a few books and looked on the internet, but we are over whelmed by the information and just need some guidance from those in the know!

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas/Applications

I suggest reading this thread for starters. It's in this very forum.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lbs
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, so I apologise. But I am new to this and would like some info if possible.

My boyfriend and I would like to make the move from London to LA. We are not looking to move permanently, just for a year or two. I work in IT and my boyfriend works in an office management job. So, how easy/hard is it going to be get visas to move? What should we be applying for? Do we need to have job offers before we go? Do we need a lawyer?

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. We have read a few books and looked on the internet, but we are over whelmed by the information and just need some guidance from those in the know!
short reply:

essentially there are no visa's and you can't move

you can come here for 90 days at a time as a tourist but that is pretty much the extent of it
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
short reply:

essentially there are no visa's and you can't move

you can come here for 90 days at a time as a tourist but that is pretty much the extent of it
Telling the OP WHY there are no visa's would be a bit more polite.....

I don't know the answer, but others might.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje

To be fair, the link was posted to the 'list' and from what has been said the chances appear to be slim to nil, but who knows?

Questions having reviewed the list are always welcome.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To be fair, the link was posted to the 'list' and from what has been said the chances appear to be slim to nil, but who knows?

Questions having reviewed the list are always welcome.
You're right about the link, sorry.....

Would a new poster know that underscored words might mean there's a link hidden underneath?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje

Oh good! Toon's volunteered to field all these questions. Stay on line Toon -- we'll give you a call when you're needed!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lbs

Thanks.
If you are under 40 - have a look here...

http://www.internshipusa.org/trainee...ant/index.html

http://www.internshipusa.org/trainee...m/trainee.html

www.bunac.co.uk
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

You would be maybe wise to see an immigration lawyer. They know all the regulations and loop holes to see if you can fit into one of the visa descriptions.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laska
You would be maybe wise to see an immigration lawyer. They know all the regulations and loop holes to see if you can fit into one of the visa descriptions.
IT field...dime a dozen, costs a lot too, so waste of time unless has special skills, and to piggy back on that, would have to be married...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For the regulars ..the Pulaski list is now a completed permanent article at
http://britishexpats.com/articles/000089.html