Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VISA advise please....

VISA advise please....

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Andy_Colorado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VISA advise please....

Help me I've reached critical confusion mass...

My question is given the choice of:
A: A fiance visa via Texas;
B: A L1 visa (don't think its a blanket type) through Vermont; or
C: A H1 visa through Vermont.

Which do you think would be the quickest way to get to my fiance? The times look crazy for the Texas service center, is this other people current opinion or is just people with problems who are logging their times?

Any adivse would be great.
Thanks
Andy (hopefully moving to Colorado)
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:51 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

If no one can help you here... try looking in the Visa and Immigration forums Andy!

And good luck! (Are you moving to VT?)
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA advise please....

Originally posted by Andy_Colorado
..... Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Andy (hopefully moving to Colorado)
The best visa is the one that you are qualified for. Most people don't even qualify under one category, so I am not sure why you think that you can arbitrage between three.

If you are going to get married go for a fiancé visa, if you aren't entirely sure and have suitable skills to qualify you for then go for the H1. The fiancé visa is likely to be easier though as it is given, subject to the provision of appropriate evidence, as a matter of right and without an annual quota, unlike the H1.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

My fiance is from Dallas (an American resident) and we want to get married ASAP.

I have two job offers, an intercompany transfer and an external company.

We want to move to the Denver area and fast, as fast as possible. The visa site didn't offer much help :-(

Thanks
Andy
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:25 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

My fiance is from Dallas (an American resident) and we want to get married ASAP.

We want to move to the Denver area and fast, as fast as possible. The visa site didn't offer much help :-(

Thanks
Andy

Tha's the way it sometimes is Andy... don't slow down... keep plugging away at it!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

An American resident or and American Citizen.

makes a BIG difference timewise
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by manc1976
An American resident or and American Citizen.

American Citizen I guess (she was born there to American parents).

makes a BIG difference timewise
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

American Citizen I guess, she was born there to American Parents.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, because if she was just a permanent resident here, the wait would take forever.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Andy
In certain circumstances, if your comapny wants you to work in its US business they can get you a visa in a matter of weeks, but they have to pay extra fees over and above the standard visa fees.

If there is nothing to choose (from your perspective) between a company transfer (regular application - i.e. not accelerated) or a fiancé visa, and I believe that both would be processed in a similar time frame, then why not go with the company transfer - and let your employer pick up the tab for the visa?

Somewhere down the road you can later get a visa on the basis of your marriage to a US citizen.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pulaski
In certain circumstances, if your comapny wants you to work in its US business they can get you a visa in a matter of weeks, but they have to pay extra fees over and above the standard visa fees.

If there is nothing to choose (from your perspective) between a company transfer (regular application - i.e. not accelerated) or a fiancé visa, and I believe that both would be processed in a similar time frame, then why not go with the company transfer - and let your employer pick up the tab for the visa?

Somewhere down the road you can later get a visa on the basis of your marriage to a US citizen.
OK... thanks for the help but I guess my confusion, or at least questioning contiunes.

Lets say I go for the H1-B visa and assume it takes less than 90days to process.

Can I put an American address as my current address and go and live over there on the VWP while the application goes through or will I have to hand my passport over at some point?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:22 am

OK... thanks for the help but I guess my confusion, or at least questioning contiunes.

Lets say I go for the H1-B visa and assume it takes less than 90days to process.

Can I put an American address as my current address and go and live over there on the VWP while the application goes through or will I have to hand my passport over at some point?
You might be better off asking these quetions on the US Immigration thread, but I think that you are prohibited from converting to any class of immigration visa from an entry under the visa waiver program, i.e. from within the United States

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 7th 2003 at 1:27 am.