Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virtual number for SMS

Virtual number for SMS

Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:27 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virtual number for SMS

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Dual-SIM phones are very limited in the US. You can buy them but if you don't already have one, forking out several hundred bucks for a dual-sim version of (eg) Samsung S8 or S9 is hardly a solution to the OP's problem. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...al-sim-phones/

Simore.com looks to be a physical adapter solution, requiring a special case and an outlay of ~$100 or so.

I'm thinking it would be easier for the OP to change banks if their current bank is so rigid in their policies.

I agree. Definitely my plan. Santander are super unhelpful when you contact them as well. And they took away my overdraft feature without communication. Didn't affect me, but it's frustrating how bad they are at customer service and communication.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
D

I'm thinking it would be easier for the OP to change banks if their current bank is so rigid in their policies.
It will be impossible for the OP to open a new UK bank account if resident in the USA.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:49 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
It will be impossible for the OP to open a new UK bank account if resident in the USA.
Actually has several options depending on situation. There are various UK online only banks. If OP has a parent in the UK where they can still receive mail (my situation) then they can open one. It’ll be more difficult without that and/or visiting home though.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most banks will allow you to open an account online here. Either digital sign or return a form.

Would need mailing address, or as mentioned plenty of online providersp
Old Jul 19th 2018, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Actually has several options depending on situation. There are various UK online only banks. If OP has a parent in the UK where they can still receive mail (my situation) then they can open one. It’ll be more difficult without that and/or visiting home though.
Originally Posted by Phathamster
Most banks will allow you to open an account online here. Either digital sign or return a form.
Would need mailing address, or as mentioned plenty of online providersp
Every bank is required to have proof of identity, proof of address and be UK resident to open an account. Makes no difference whether you apply on-line or in branch. So tell us all how you do it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/mo...ritish-expats/
Old Jul 19th 2018, 6:57 pm
KCMO

Every bank is required to have proof of identity, proof of address and be UK resident to open an account. Makes no difference whether you apply on-line or in branch. So tell us all how you do it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/mo...ritish-expats/
Wow, I love the passive aggressiveness on this site. It is so welcoming.

As I said in my post, if the OP has a parent who lives in the UK, or even a relative that they can have mail sent to it will work. Neither of us said it would work without a mailing address being available.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 4:39 pm
KCMO

Hey, so Santander fixed their issues I guess. I got an OTP through my US number the other day!!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

MissyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arathe
So, one of the UK bank accounts we have (Santander) has to send us a code whenever we want to logon to online banking or the app. This code can only be delivered by sms and they can only send to a UK number.

To save us swapping SIM cards every time I have tried to find some sort of service that will give us a virtual UK mobile number that will forward sms messages sent to it or let us read them online. I’ve looked at about a dozen now (e.g. Vonage, Skype) and I haven’t found one that’s suitable - they either done operate in the UK or don’t have a text feature (only calls)

we cant be the only people who have this problem, has anyone on here found a service that can do this?

Hi! This is the first time I've posted but I've encountered this problem numerous times with Santander, and their help over the phone is typically useless. I never get OTP codes through my American number (or any other way I've tried).

I've researched so many ways to try to get these messages through but they never do. I even tried through "Cloud Sim' where you can get a virtual UK number (which I use to text my elderly Dad who doesn't know how to use smart phones), I changed the phone number on my Santander account and still nothing.

The last message on here dated a week ago suggested they had got their issue sorted out... I immediately tried to set up a new payment to my sister and the OTP never was delivered to my US cell number.... so still no way of receiving the codes.

This is very frustrating and I'm not going to hold my breath but being an international bank you would think this would be an issue they would sort out sooner rather than later.

I'll be interested to find out if anyone else has luck any other way.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:44 pm
KCMO

Originally Posted by MissyK
Hi! This is the first time I've posted but I've encountered this problem numerous times with Santander, and their help over the phone is typically useless. I never get OTP codes through my American number (or any other way I've tried).

I've researched so many ways to try to get these messages through but they never do. I even tried through "Cloud Sim' where you can get a virtual UK number (which I use to text my elderly Dad who doesn't know how to use smart phones), I changed the phone number on my Santander account and still nothing.

The last message on here dated a week ago suggested they had got their issue sorted out... I immediately tried to set up a new payment to my sister and the OTP never was delivered to my US cell number.... so still no way of receiving the codes.

This is very frustrating and I'm not going to hold my breath but being an international bank you would think this would be an issue they would sort out sooner rather than later.

I'll be interested to find out if anyone else has luck any other way.
I ended up having to get new online banking details set up. They updated their website and apps so that may be something to try. I got to create my own login info. I genuinely had no expectation it would work so I was on hold to them for telephone banking when I just took a shot. Get those new details and give it a go.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:18 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Virtual number for SMS

Originally Posted by g1ant
Santander won't accept a number that isn't from an established mobile provider. I have a number from Telos that takes calls and SMS but Santander's system will not recognise the number.
As g1ant just stated, some services do check to see if the number is a 'real' cell number.
We text enabled our business number (www.zipwhip.com , www.businesstextbox.com , etc can all do this), but we couldn't use it to verify our business FB account and a few other services we tried. I suspect you'll have problems with many virtual cell numbers.
Just buy an old phone and leave the UK SIM in it.

On a side note, I'm amazed we still use SMS messages as second factor authentication. It is completely insecure. Signalling System No 7 (SS7) was invented in the 1970's! It can be exploited by hackers to read text messages, listen to phone calls and track mobile phone users’ locations. There is no authentication in the protocol. It is how Instagram and Reddit accounts (including admin accounts) were recently accessed when supposedly protected by second factor. Ignoring the SS7 weakness, its also possible to convince a cell provider to port the number to someone else. When will the idea of SMS as security die...

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ation-no-phone
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/nefarious-actors-may-have-abused-routing-protocol-to-spy-on-us-phone-users/
hackers port cell number