Reload this Page >

Virginia driving licence

Virginia driving licence

Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:37 am
Just Joined

markc will become famous soon enoughmarkc will become famous soon enough
Default Virginia driving licence

Hello all..

Has anybody recently tried to obtain a Virginia driving licence because I seem to have hit a brick wall with this. The problem is that you are required to produce two sets of identification documents from the list at www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf. I have my Passport (complete with L1A Visa and I-94) which counts as one acceptable form of ID but nothing else. All the other identification documents I have (UK driving licence, International driving licence and birth certificate) are explicitly listed as unacceptable documents.

The vast majority of the acceptable documents seem specific to US citizens so I can't see that I will ever have any of these - and it seems that you can only drive on an international licence for a maximum of 12 months.

The Virginia DMV are particularly unhelpful - even though I have pointed out that I will have to give up my new job and return to the UK if I cannot drive out here. Has anybody else had this problem ??

Regards

Mark
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Virginia driving licence

Originally Posted by markc
Hello all..

Has anybody recently tried to obtain a Virginia driving licence because I seem to have hit a brick wall with this. The problem is that you are required to produce two sets of identification documents from the list at www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf. I have my Passport (complete with L1A Visa and I-94) which counts as one acceptable form of ID but nothing else. All the other identification documents I have (UK driving licence, International driving licence and birth certificate) are explicitly listed as unacceptable documents.

The vast majority of the acceptable documents seem specific to US citizens so I can't see that I will ever have any of these - and it seems that you can only drive on an international licence for a maximum of 12 months.

The Virginia DMV are particularly unhelpful - even though I have pointed out that I will have to give up my new job and return to the UK if I cannot drive out here. Has anybody else had this problem ??

Regards

Mark

Are you a permanent resident? if so slap your GC on the counter
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:20 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Hello all..

Regards

Mark
Hi, Mark, sorry you're having problems with VA DMV. I got my VA license several years ago, but had been warned in advance that they were particularly strict about ID, especially since 9/11. I had a Minnesota driver's license and my resident alien card, so didn't have a problem, but an Australian friend of mine (who retired from the US military!!) had terrible problems getting her license recently, so you're not alone. My husband and I just looked over the requirements again and it seems absolutely crazy. The only thing we could come up with was to keep your international driver's license for now, but in the meantime sign up with a university and try and get a student ID. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions; hopefully, others might have some ideas.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

'fraid not. I only recently moved over and although I filed my I-485 immediately (early December), it will be a long time before I get it.

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Are you a permanent resident? if so slap your GC on the counter
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Hi, Mark, sorry you're having problems with VA DMV. I got my VA license several years ago, but had been warned in advance that they were particularly strict about ID, especially since 9/11. I had a Minnesota driver's license and my resident alien card, so didn't have a problem, but an Australian friend of mine (who retired from the US military!!) had terrible problems getting her license recently, so you're not alone. My husband and I just looked over the requirements again and it seems absolutely crazy. The only thing we could come up with was to keep your international driver's license for now, but in the meantime sign up with a university and try and get a student ID. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions; hopefully, others might have some ideas.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. Did your friend from Australia ever manage to resolve her problems? When I moaned to the DMV that most temporary residents would have the same difficulties, I was told that each application would be considered on a case by case basis so I sent in the documents I do have over a month ago but have still heard nothing. The irony is that I have been told I would have no problems getting a fake licence but of course this is a line I am unwilling to cross. There's little wonder that they have so many problems with illegal immigrants in the USA when it is so difficult to do things legally.

Regards

Mark
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

'fraid not. I only recently moved over and although I filed my I-485 immediately (early December), it will be a long time before I get it.
Got any I-797s sitting around? Those are the receipts and notices of action that USCIS sends you when you apply / petition for stuff.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

It was post 9/11 and the new regs and I had terrible trouble getting mine. I'm desperately trying to remember how I did it. I think I had to get a work authorisation card first..... Have you actually been into the DMV in person? I went in so many times. In the end I went in with the the HR director from hubby's company. Going in helped to get a dialogue going with them. It took a long time though. Anyway, it sounds like you can drive on your international licence for a while longer if you have only just got here. Good luck & take a big book to read for the DMV visits!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Got any I-797s sitting around? Those are the receipts and notices of action that USCIS sends you when you apply / petition for stuff.
I have a copy of something called a I-797 but it doesn't have much on it and they won't accept copies. All my dealings with the USCIS are through an external law firm that my company uses though - do you think they might have original copies of these ??

Regards

Mark
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Virginia driving licence

You could go and get a pilot license That's crazy. I had some problems getting an SC Driver License when I moved here from NC. My conditional PR card had expired the year before and I had an NOA (I-797) extension letter but had an old Social Security card. Once renewed, it was then ok.

I wonder if you could apply for an EAD? I don't know if those are available if on an L1a visa?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Your attorney will have the original, since he is handling the case, but if I am not mistaken (and I could be) you should have also received an original of it. See if they can give you a notarized copy or two.

Call up the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, at the state capitol, and speak to someone there about it. That is what I did when I needed renewing before my GC came through a while back and the local offices had gotten it all wrong.

If no go, I would suggest speaking to the attorneys handling your case and asking them for help with it. I'm sure your company wants you to be able to drive.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Virginia driving licence

I'm sure there is something that can be done since you are here legally. SC DMV were about as useful as an ashtray on a motobike!

Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I'm sure there is something that can be done since you are here legally. SC DMV were about as useful as an ashtray on a motobike!

Good luck
Sounds familiar - the Virginia DMV makes the DVLA in the UK seem almost efficient. Thanks to all for their suggestions - I particulalry like the one about the Pilot's Licence. The scary thing is that in all probability it is easier to obtain a licence for a plane than for a car.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:33 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply. Did your friend from Australia ever manage to resolve her problems? When I moaned to the DMV that most temporary residents would have the same difficulties, I was told that each application would be considered on a case by case basis so I sent in the documents I do have over a month ago but have still heard nothing. The irony is that I have been told I would have no problems getting a fake licence but of course this is a line I am unwilling to cross. There's little wonder that they have so many problems with illegal immigrants in the USA when it is so difficult to do things legally.

Regards

Mark
Hi, Mark, yes, she did get her license in the end, but apparently they put it on hold until they could do a background check!

Hope you can get something resolved.

Sara
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by izibear
Your attorney will have the original, since he is handling the case, but if I am not mistaken (and I could be) you should have also received an original of it. See if they can give you a notarized copy or two.

Call up the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, at the state capitol, and speak to someone there about it. That is what I did when I needed renewing before my GC came through a while back and the local offices had gotten it all wrong.

If no go, I would suggest speaking to the attorneys handling your case and asking them for help with it. I'm sure your company wants you to be able to drive.
I've just dug out my copy of the I-797 but it doesn't have my name on it at all. The petitioner is given as my company and the name and address on there is the attorney. The beneficiary field says "Blanket Petition" whatever that is.

Looks like the EAD may be my only option :-(

Thanks anyway to all who replied

Regards

Mark
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the EAD may be my only option :-(
If you already have permission to work, the EAD is not going to be an option IMHO. Your best bet is to locate the biggest DMV, or the one with the best office views if there is no 'big' DMV, and work your way up the chain of bureaucrats until you reach one who knows what they're talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.