Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virginia Drivers Licence

Wikiposts

Virginia Drivers Licence

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default Virginia Drivers Licence

Hi all

background is I am in USA (VA) on K1 Visa and my OH is in the US Navy. We're due to get married on June 1 and I'm currently sorting my way through the mass of AOS paperwork.

I've been trying to get information about obtaining a VA Drivers Licence and how long my UK one is valid but I'm getting really confused as driving laws vary state to state and even by visa categories.

I would be grateful if anyone can help me out with the following:-

How long can I legally drive on my UK licence as it seems the VA DMV are very strict and will only allow me to apply for a licence with my EAD and that won't be for a while.

After searching and emailing I'm still unclear if I will be able to apply for a licence with just my UK passport with the unexpired visa and I-94 (expires June 5) and my official SSN letter to prove my address as my fiance already has the mortgage and utilities set up in his name only.

I saw in one post that military foreign born spouses are exempt from having to take the tests if they have held a foreign licence - has anyone heard of this and can point me in the right direction to find this information.

Can I buy and register a car with my UK licence or will it all have to be in my fiance's name? I was thinking a cosigning on a car loan would be good proof as a life together for the AOS paperwork?

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I'm getting a litle confused with all the past threads with it being state specific.

Thanks for any help
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virginia Drivers Licence

Did you read the official VA DMV website? http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/applying.asp

Here is the document guide, to see if you have all the appropriate items: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/do...der/intro.aspx

Be aware that your drivers license will only be valid until the expiration date of your legal presence document (I-94 in your case). After that, you will need to go back in with another valid immigration document to get a new drivers license with a new expiration date (EAD, probably, in your case). When that expires (1 year), you can get a new drivers license based on your green card expiration date (2 years). Etc.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicciT
Hi all

background is I am in USA (VA) on K1 Visa and my OH is in the US Navy. We're due to get married on June 1 and I'm currently sorting my way through the mass of AOS paperwork.

I've been trying to get information about obtaining a VA Drivers Licence and how long my UK one is valid but I'm getting really confused as driving laws vary state to state and even by visa categories.

I would be grateful if anyone can help me out with the following:-

How long can I legally drive on my UK licence as it seems the VA DMV are very strict and will only allow me to apply for a licence with my EAD and that won't be for a while.

After searching and emailing I'm still unclear if I will be able to apply for a licence with just my UK passport with the unexpired visa and I-94 (expires June 5) and my official SSN letter to prove my address as my fiance already has the mortgage and utilities set up in his name only.

I saw in one post that military foreign born spouses are exempt from having to take the tests if they have held a foreign licence - has anyone heard of this and can point me in the right direction to find this information.

Can I buy and register a car with my UK licence or will it all have to be in my fiance's name? I was thinking a cosigning on a car loan would be good proof as a life together for the AOS paperwork?

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I'm getting a litle confused with all the past threads with it being state specific.

Thanks for any help
Hi there,

When I first moved to Virginia I was on a student visa (J-1) and I was able to get a VA drivers licence. They literally just let me switch my UK licence over to the VA one...the only thing was the expiry date on the VA licence was the same as the expiry date on my US visa. They did mention that I could absolutley drive on my UK licence but the only problem was absolutley NO ONE would give me insurance as I did not have a US licence. I think that as long as you have your UK passport with the unexpired visa and I-94 you will be fine. As soon as you get married just go back to the DMV with your new documents. This link is really helpful https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/do...der/intro.aspx

I went to the Norfolk DMV and before I went I printed out all the relevant pages from the Virginia DMV website that talk about how to give a non US citizen a licence. As it turned out the clerk that I got thought I was mad and was ready to tell me I couldn't get a licence but as soon as I pulled out my printouts she got her supervisor over and he was able to process my application.

I found as soon as I had a VA licence registering a car and getting insurance was super easy. I was able to buy a car and insure and register it in my own name and it wasn't too expensive I found GEICO to be the best). As soon as you get a VA licence you'll find the whole system is easier to navigate.

Good luck and don't forget to bring print outs!! http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ligibility.asp
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

Thanks so much for the help both of you, I used the links and they worked out great so its now fingers crossed if they will let me off taking the test(s) lol! The only problem I have is the residence proof, I'm hoping my Social Security letter will be sufficient as my name is not on any utilities or the mortgage and as yet I don't have a bank account.

Thanks again x
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

My American husband had State Farm and they added me with an English PROVISIONAL licence at no extra cost.