Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Proof of previous divorce- child passport UK

Proof of previous divorce- child passport UK

Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Global vagrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of previous divorce- child passport UK

Can someone shed a little light please...?

When we apply for a UK passport for a child born abroad there are some notes that say the docs to be provided are... Birth certificate, marriage certificate, parents passports and (if applicable) proof of previous divorce. Does this proof of previous divorce apply even if the current marriage related to the child took place in UK and is evidenced by a UK issued marriage certificate? If so can anyone explain why? Surely we proved our eligibility to marry at the time (one of the many hoops to jump through)- why does it need to be proved again to British authorities? The question arises because I don't know where my decree absolute is, and at a guess it will be a pain to replace.

Also even if we were not married (hypothetical because we are... but for argument's sake) and my name appears on the birth certificate as father would this not qualify the child anyway? -- Any experience of this or advice would be welcome.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of previous divorce- child passport UK

Probably yes, to rule out any prospect of an invalid/polygamous marriage. You should have a copy of your divorce papers, these are too critical to lose.

Although should not be needed if child was born on or after 1 July 2006.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Global vagrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proof of previous divorce- child passport UK

Thanks-
I do have exactly that, a COPY- but this may well have them drooling with excitement as they throw another one onto the reject pile to be returned to spend another inordinate amount of time sorting out their indecipherable requirements. (Or maybe I am being too harsh on the bureaucratic money grabbing outfit that we have no option but to accept as a consular service).

What I didn't understand is that married or not the child would be entitled to a passport anyway. However if as you say the requirement for babies born after 2006 has changed that may explain it.