Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virginia Dreams??

Wikiposts

Virginia Dreams??

Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:42 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virginia Dreams??

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Tip: if you don't have AMEX cards go get them, as AMEX in the US can be leant on to issue a US card based on your British a/c history. I believe/ have heard the same is true of Capital One, though I've seen reports from others who say it doesn't work for Capital One. (I did check recently they are under common ownership).
Ah, I didn't know that. I didn't get my own AMEX card until they sent me a letter offering me one. I only ever had one credit card in the UK, for the sole purpose of having one to use here on my first visit to meet my wife-to-be.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ah, I didn't know that. I didn't get my own AMEX card until they sent me a letter offering me one. I only ever had one credit card in the UK, for the sole purpose of having one to use here on my first visit to meet my wife-to-be.
Yeah, but there's nowhere on the US application to reference your British a/c. As far as I can tell, you just have to apply, get rejected, then phone customer service and they can then initiate whatever process they have to get access to your British a/c history. .... That's what I did.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but there's nowhere on the US application to reference your British a/c. As far as I can tell, you just have to apply, get rejected, then phone customer service and they can then initiate whatever process they have to get access to your British a/c history. .... That's what I did.
It's a good top tip for the new arrivals, definitely. Having said that, even doing it the long way (as I had no viable method of transferring my UK credit, the one credit card was a bank-issued MC and I barely used it) didn't take that much time. Within a few years I'd built up what was (in 2009) a reasonably good credit score, within a point or two of my wife's
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... within a point or two of my wife's
I'm going to presume, because you're bragging, that she had a half decent credit score.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:36 am
I have a comma problem

I'm going to presume, because you're bragging, that she had a half decent credit score.
It was more that I was able to get close to her well-established credit score in such a short time.

Even at the time, ours were on the low end of half decent
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Sanders8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only read two pages of posts but...I lived in Virginia Beach for 9 years, American hubby was stationed there...ok, am just going to tell you what I think, only my opinion,

I HATED Virginia!! God awful place, humidity, bugs...mosquitoes eating your head, backwoods mentality...I did try hard to fit in, years actually but we are brought up differently (of course) in the UK, sometime it's okay to be different but not in VA. There's a lot of BS with the people, so false.

I couldn't wait to get out of there, others might love it, who knows. We are now out West and love it!

Of all the places to go Virginia would be at the bottom of the list, also it's a Commonwealth State (it matters) have a car accident or any kind of accident on Govt grounds or they own it, ex parks...you'd better have good health insurance as VA is protected and you'll get nowhere with a law suit, a friend of mine was severely injured in a car accident at a local park, not her fault, and being in VA she had no recourse at all.

Sorry, this is just how I feel about it.

Last edited by Sanders8; Apr 9th 2013 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sanders8
..... We are now out West and love it! ......
Yeah, well the people I know in Virginia, which is a good number because my wife is from Virginia, don't think much of those "out west" either!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Sanders8 is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL....yeah well....ooohhhh.don't take offense, I said it was only my opinion, actually you sound just like the people we knew in VA! thanks for making my point true haha
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:43 am

LOL....yeah well....ooohhhh. don't take offense, I said it was only my opinion, actually you sound just like the people we knew in VA! thanks for making my point true haha
I just wanted to be sure you don't come back. Now run along and go find the custard powder you apparently need so desperately.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

SMSH will become famous soon enough

Only read two pages of posts but...I lived in Virginia Beach for 9 years, American hubby was stationed there...ok, am just going to tell you what I think, only my opinion,

I HATED Virginia!! God awful place, humidity, bugs...mosquitoes eating your head, backwoods mentality...I did try hard to fit in, years actually but we are brought up differently (of course) in the UK, sometime it's okay to be different but not in VA. There's a lot of BS with the people, so false.

I couldn't wait to get out of there, others might love it, who knows. We are now out West and love it!

Of all the places to go Virginia would be at the bottom of the list, also it's a Commonwealth State (it matters) have a car accident or any kind of accident on Govt grounds or they own it, ex parks...you'd better have good health insurance as VA is protected and you'll get nowhere with a law suit, a friend of mine was severely injured in a car accident at a local park, not her fault, and being in VA she had no recourse at all.

Sorry, this is just how I feel about it.
Sorry that you did not enjoy the Hampton Roads area. My experience has been totally different. Our family has lived here almost 9 years now and love it (previously lived in Texas and Minnesota -- plenty of mozzies there too!). Granted, we live in Norfolk, one of the cities adjoining VA Beach, but I haven't found too many people with a backwoods mentality -- quite the contrary.