Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The verdict is in

The verdict is in

Old Dec 17th 2003, 3:16 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default The verdict is in

No surprise really. Huntley guilty and two life sentences. Maxine Carr three & half years for perverting the course of justice.

Some information has now emerged about failings by the police and the vetting system for Huntley's employment, he had allegations and a charge against him for sex with underage girls.
(I'm currently watching a news conference online with a police chief who is getting ripped apart by the press for the above failings.)

Patrick - you were living in Soham at the time this happened ?
Would like to read your thoughts.

Full in depth profile of the whole thing from the Beeb -->
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...al/default.stm
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:23 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Cambridgeshire police pulled together an incredible investigative operation and built a strong case...it's a terrible tragedy that the preventative forces weren't in place to prevent this. Instead system failures and human error prevailed.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

So with Carr already having spent I would imagine over a year in jail, how much of that 3.5 years do you think she will serve?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 5:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The verdict is in

Sooner the UK put the Pierrepoint family back to work the better..
Old Dec 17th 2003, 6:36 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
So with Carr already having spent I would imagine over a year in jail, how much of that 3.5 years do you think she will serve?
Apparently if she agrees to be tagged (monitored) she will be released after Christmas, otherwise next spring. Personally I have only negative views on her so I will stop typing now.

Patrick
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Typically the woman gets away with the murders she played a part in. And before you all start spouting, Hindley was the exception not the rule in these matters.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
"Maxine Carr, 26, was given three-and-a-half years for conspiring to pervert the course of justice, but cleared of two counts of assisting an offender.

She could be free and electronically tagged within 30 days, because she has already spent 16 months in jail."

(Taken from the BBC news story)

Ash
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:59 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Typically the woman gets away with the murders she played a part in. And before you all start spouting, Hindley was the exception not the rule in these matters.
Some may agree, but when you look at the treatment of women by the Law from another perspective, and you take into account Huntley's past, he got away with a lot by claiming that allegations of rape against him were not only unfounded, but that the victims consented.

Too often a rape victim's word is insufficient or doubted due to lack of evidence.

I'm not saying this is unanimously true... but I think the courage that a victim shows in confiding in the authorities deserves more respect and investigation; and that "consent" word needs better definition rather than a simple "yes/no".

Huntley may just have been stopped in his tracks many years ago!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:16 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way that bastard hadn't done it. I can't believe he expected us to buy that 2 perfectly healthy 10-year-old girls would just drop dead for nothing. I'm also incredibly annoyed that his previous 9....that's NINE rape/attempted rape and molestation charges were not revealed to the jury! Is this not an appropriate and relevant character reference? He is an obviously disturbed and twisted character. Maxine Carr, I believe, is a weak and misguided woman, who has poor judgement and poor taste in men. How could she lie for him knowing what he had done? Awful story, and I'm glad it's been resolved.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:19 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
There's no way that bastard hadn't done it. I can't believe he expected us to buy that 2 perfectly healthy 10-year-old girls would just drop dead for nothing. I'm also incredibly annoyed that his previous 9....that's NINE rape/attempted rape and molestation charges were not revealed to the jury!
I wonder how the one jury member who held out for a not guilty verdict feels now knowing Huntley's past form?

A.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:55 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by g1ant
I wonder how the one jury member who held out for a not guilty verdict feels now knowing Huntley's past form?

A.
I am still trying to figure out how one jury member didn't (without reasonable doubt) think he murdered them (to cover up having sex with them) with the evidence presented. His defence was ludicrous to say the least - one drowned in the bath while I was accidentally smothering the other to death?

My heart has ached every day since those girls disappeared, lets hope now that those girls may they rest in peace

Patrick