Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VAT for the USA

Wikiposts

VAT for the USA

Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT for the USA

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, that's the trouble....

In the South those cameras are apt to become shotgun and BB targets.
Just when I thought there was no place for the Second Amendment in a modern, twenty-first century society, along comes this…
Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's the trouble....

In the South those cameras are apt to become shotgun and BB targets.
I don't think that's true 'cos:

1) many of those cameras probably don't record anything anyway

2) lots of critters that one can shoot instead of cameras

NC Penguin
Old Mar 6th 2005, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Unhappy Re: VAT for the USA

Okay, we'll solve two problems at once. 100% VAT on SUVs, with the proceeds to go for those who really need armoured vehicles.

SUVs are four times more likely to kill the occupants of a car they hit; but only 1.5 times better at protecting their own passengers.

Oh, and meter the truckers like they do in the UK so that they can't drive 19 hours straight doped up on speed and caffeine.
They used to use log books in Europe to meter truck drivers (as they still do here) but that didn't work. Drivers just "fiddled' the log books (as they still do here). Then they introduced the tachograph system (The spy in the cab), that has never worked and has always been easily fiddled .
Now, an EU directive has introduced a new form of metering truck drivers with electronic smart cards issued to each driver. These are inserted in the dashboard and then produced to cops when stopped, the cops read them from their think pads. The new system will be in force sometime within the next 3 to 5 years. I will wager that there will already be something available on the black market that can hack into the system as soon as the new technology hits the streets.
By the way, that new EU (working time directive) is limiting truck drivers to working a 45 hour week. Thats working not driving. I can't see transport firms still paying their drivers the same money once that driver is forced to only work 45 hours a week.
Another rediculous clearly unworkable idea from the "suits" in Brussels.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 2:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I don't think that's true 'cos:

1) many of those cameras probably don't record anything anyway

2) lots of critters that one can shoot instead of cameras
The idea would be to get rid of them faster than they could be replaced and it would be costly to continue doing so. I'm not advocating this approach but I would predict it.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:26 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, we'll solve two problems at once. 100% VAT on SUVs, with the proceeds to go for those who really need armoured vehicles.

SUVs are four times more likely to kill the occupants of a car they hit; but only 1.5 times better at protecting their own passengers.

Oh, and meter the truckers like they do in the UK so that they can't drive 19 hours straight doped up on speed and caffeine.
Raising the age at which kids can start driving wouldn't do any harm to the stats either.....
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Raising the age at which kids can start driving wouldn't do any harm to the stats either.....
Absolutely. I think 16 (in Texas) is too young for most kids. Then again, I favour a standardised majority age -- 18 or 19 -- at which point kids get the full rights AND responsibilities of adulthood.

The trouble is that with both parents working, a 16-year-old might well find it very hard to get to work, extracurricular activities, and perhaps a job of their own.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. I think 16 (in Texas) is too young for most kids. Then again, I favour a standardised majority age -- 18 or 19 -- at which point kids get the full rights AND responsibilities of adulthood.

The trouble is that with both parents working, a 16-year-old might well find it very hard to get to work, extracurricular activities, and perhaps a job of their own.
Yeah, the car dependence is pretty bad - and there would be a lot of resistance to any change....did you see this article last week?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...esshowapattern

Apologies - just realised drifted way off topic - I'm finished with this line!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 4:05 pm
Lapine Member

Yeah, the car dependence is pretty bad - and there would be a lot of resistance to any change....did you see this article last week?
No I didn't but I thank you greatly for calling my attention to it. It did not surprise me to read:

"The South proved to be the deadliest region" (for teenaged driver car crashes).

Not sure what to do about wandering off subject .... create a new thread? I guess this is tangentially related in that we seem to lag other countries in implementing safety reforms due to pure stubborn resistance to change. Same would apply to a VAT without some sort of Karl Rove spin campaign.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:48 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

New thread - good idea.

16 is too young. 15 in Georga for permit and then 16 to drive. First 6 months, can only drive with family, then curfew (midnight) till aged 18.

My son, just turning 17 has only just been allowed to drive on his own and only point to point, not allowed freeways and has to call in, there and back. He's been driving since 15 and been on every advanced course I could find (cost over $1500)....

Freeways should be over 18 only. My son isn't the problem (I think) but the other friggin idiots are.. Heck, I find it hard to drive here on freeways and I have 25+ years of international experience!!!

Bring in the "L" plate is what I say - "LOSER" is what they would say
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Bring in the "L" plate is what I say - "LOSER" is what they would say
Aye, would be good, then you at least know to give them a break...there's a curfew on driving in maine, I think if you have less than 3 years experience under 21, then not allowed to drive after I think it's 11pm or without parent/guardian type deal, didn't really get the fine details, but then doesn't affect me, not that I see the police enforce any of it...
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is hardly a week goes by without a teenager ploughing his/ her car into a tree or utility pole, into oncoming traffic, or rolling it off the road into a ditch, typically with one or more passengers - and there are rarely survivors; and that's just in the counties surronding my home town.

Last summer on the way home we passed a Honda Accord on it's roof. It was a single car accident, and there were no signs that there had been a collison with a tree or utility pole, of that it had been off the road and into the ditch. In fact the car looked to be pristine, except that it was on its roof, and blocking the travel lane! Whilst the road where the accidnet happend is not straight is not difficult to drive on at 60mph - I do it regularly myself in a truck and don't feel even close to exceeding a safe speed. Every time I go that way I wonder how on earth the driver managed to roll that car?