Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vaccinations

Vaccinations

Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vaccinations

There's quite a long list of vaccination requirements for green card applicants.

I think I know the answer to this question but I'll pitch it anyway - Should I attempt to get all the vaccinations done in the UK before I leave for the US, or wait till the Medical Examination part of the green card process when I am in the US itself.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccinations

The medical exam is prior to your visa interview i.e. outside the US. And yes, I would just get any shots you require at the medical.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 13th 2013 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks pulaski.

My 'situation' is slightly different in that I will probably be in the US at the time of applying for the green card.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read all the information on vaccinations? If not, in a nutshell it states that if you are of a certain age and from first world countries, it is assumed that you have had the required vaccinations other than needing the chicken pox jab (which is not available in the UK), updated tetenus and one or two others.

If you can get your records from your doctor, fabulous, if not, then not a worry.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete - So really if I am up to date in the UK I would just get the c/pox in the US somehow?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Titre test, shows what you are covered for, might be able to get that as part of annual physical exam on your medical insurance and then any top up as needed, would be cheaper at least than at the immigration medical.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I repeat this frequently, there are the vaccinations required for immigration and there are the vaccinations required for your good health.

You should consider adult boosters for pertussis (whooping cough) and MMR.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:20 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

... and either way, the exam doc may decide you require fewer or (rarely) more than the number of shots you can't provide documentation for.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freerskier
My 'situation' is slightly different in that I will probably be in the US at the time of applying for the green card.
Hopefully in a status other than VWP visitor.

I looked at your past posts, but you never said what visa you'll be using to enter the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the US at the time of applying for the green card and didn't have any vaccination documentation. It was no problem, I just had to have all the shots at the medical. About 5 if I remember. Nice day that was!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:28 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

My husband just had his doctor in the UK set him up with the set of vax he needed and he just showed the doctor's printout to the Knightsbridge doctors at the medical. MUCH cheaper that way.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Technically you don't need your medical records either. Given that you will need to do a blood serum for TB they can include blood serum for the required vaccinations, if your blood serum shows up positive for the vaccinations you don't need them either. Of course if they show up negative you have to have the vaccinations and pay for both the serum work and vaccinations.

Also depending on your health cover it may just be cheaper to get the vaccinations which is why most people do it that way.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
Technically you don't need your medical records either. Given that you will need to do a blood serum for TB they can include blood serum for the required vaccinations, if your blood serum shows up positive for the vaccinations you don't need them either. Of course if they show up negative you have to have the vaccinations and pay for both the serum work and vaccinations.

Also depending on your health cover it may just be cheaper to get the vaccinations which is why most people do it that way.
The titre test... Which can cost $260 if not done as part of an annual physical.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
The titre test... Which can cost $260 if not done as part of an annual physical.
The immigration medical is $200 - $250 in the US which includes a TB/Hep B/HIV titer. I understand each additional titer is only $50 (each antibody is an additional titer). The vaccinations are about $50 each depending on provider and medical coverage. The issue as I understand is that most people don't want the hassle of going back for the vaccination if the titer is negative. The titer is useful if you never have had the vaccinations but have suffered the usual childhood diseases and carry the antibodies.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bootle
The immigration medical is $200 - $250 in the US which includes a TB/Hep B/HIV titer. I understand each additional titer is only $50 (each antibody is an additional titer). The vaccinations are about $50 each depending on provider and medical coverage. The issue as I understand is that most people don't want the hassle of going back for the vaccination if the titer is negative. The titer is useful if you never have had the vaccinations but have suffered the usual childhood diseases and carry the antibodies.
The doctor can charge what they want, for the exam and the tests, which is why it's good to shop around if your area has more than one approved doctor.

They tend to do a titre for everything unless you already have your record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.