Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hate when they try and rush you and get all pissy when you refuse, or at least try to read the papers they shove at you while heading towards your child with a needle in hand. I think they should give the info on the visit before the shots are due, so you can read them yourself and do some research.
Originally Posted by Gezza
This I find will not do any good. They will put it right on the line for you at the same time doing any research will only do your head in. After reading Russell Blaylock or David Icke articles on school injections I became really worried. And just thinking if any adverse effects do come up a few years from now what would a school do to help me?!

Then you either need to stand your ground or change your doctor.

Any good pediatrician will give you time. The one I worked for would explain from the first well baby check up what the vaccination schedule would be, which vaccinations would be given and we would hand out the relevant information. At the time of the well baby check up the shots were never given until the parent was comfortable with what was being given.

I worked for a very busy one pediatrician practice, but however busy he was he always made time for explanations about shots, the possible side effects and any other questions the parents would have.

It's your child, you have good reason to worry so be your child's voice and know what is going on.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
We took our new baby for her 2 month vaccinations and was told that on top of the usual shots she would also be getting 'Rota Virus' drops. I felt like I was on the spot to just accept it but I had never heard of it before and certainly hadn't been told about it prior to the appointment to decide whether I wanted it for my baby or not. The poor baby gagged it down (apparently it tastes foul). I've since learnt for myself that it is to prevent an intestinal infection that can cause diarrhea but what I was unhappy to learn is that the vaccine that had previously been used and has since been pulled off the market as it had nasty side effects.
The rotavirus had been withdrawn because of fears it was causing intussusception but further research showed it to be safe so it has been reintroduced.

I do think it's worth doing your research before you attend appointments so you know what jabs you will be offered, and whether to say yes or no. Children in the US are scheduled to have a lot more jabs than children in other developed countries.

There's a timetable here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...n_schedule.png. You can find information about what the jabs vax against and the pros and cons all over the place - very little of it unbiased ;-)

Mine have had some but not all of the vaccinations mainly because they lived in the UK till a year and a half ago but also because I don't feel all the vaccinations are necessary.

They had chickenpox in the UK so I got a letter from the paediatrician to confirm that for the school.

I refuse the flu jab for them each year (and for myself) but DH has it because he is asthmatic.

One of my daughters had a bad reaction to her DTP pre-school booster requiring antibiotics to recover (she developed cellulitis) so I am slightly wary of accepting all vaccinations without considering the pros and cons first.

They also had TB jabs in the UK which I subsequently realised they did not need and which I regret.

I will give my children Gardasil having had treatment for CIN III pre-cancerous cells myself - I would rather they didn't go through that.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

They also had TB jabs in the UK which I subsequently realised they did not need and which I regret.
Do you mean a BCG or are you just talking about a TB tine test (PPD)?
I thought BCG's were fazed out years ago

Here in Texas a PPD is required for all day cares, school districts and for lots of employment as well. TB is on the rise in the US, the local health department I work for has a TB clinic every week.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do you mean a BCG or are you just talking about a TB tine test (PPD)?
I thought BCG's were fazed out years ago

Here in Texas a PPD is required for all day cares, school districts and for lots of employment as well. TB is on the rise in the US, the local health department I work for has a TB clinic every week.
TB jab - BCG is still given in parts of the UK.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
TB jab - BCG is still given in parts of the UK.
Yes in some areas it's given to all newborns, while in others (with lower immigrant populations) it's only given to those who are immigrants or children of immigrants and classed as high risk.

My kids reacted pretty badly to it, and some of the information about it (eg don't swim for four months) was only given to us after they'd had the vaccination.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Then you either need to stand your ground or change your doctor.

Any good pediatrician will give you time. .
I agree there. Our pediatrician takes a lot of time with us. I always have lots of questions.

On the vaccination side.....our daughter started school with only the vaccinations that I wanted her to have and it didn't include the Hep B one either, nor varicella. In Washington you can opt out for personal reasons.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
On the vaccination side.....our daughter started school with only the vaccinations that I wanted her to have and it didn't include the Hep B one either, nor varicella. In Washington you can opt out for personal reasons.
What happens if they have a case of chickenpox in school though? They just changed the law in Maine so that as soon as a case is diagnosed, students who have not either had the varicella vaccination or provided a doctor's letter confirming they've had chickenpox are excluded from school for 10 days.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kins
What happens if they have a case of chickenpox in school though? They just changed the law in Maine so that as soon as a case is diagnosed, students who have not either had the varicella vaccination or provided a doctor's letter confirming they've had chickenpox are excluded from school for 10 days.
Varicella is one shot I would not hesitate about. It wasn't available when my kids were younger. They both had chicken pox when they were in their late teens and were both very very sick (son was hospitalized overnight). Chicken pox may be fairly mild for a young child, although that is not always the case, but for an adult it can be a dangerous and sometimes fatal disease to be exposed to.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Varicella is one shot I would not hesitate about. It wasn't available when my kids were younger. They both had chicken pox when they were in their late teens and were both very very sick (son was hospitalized overnight). Chicken pox may be fairly mild for a young child, although that is not always the case, but for an adult it can be a dangerous and sometimes fatal disease to be exposed to.
My older children all had chicken pox with no complications.....however my youngest (7 now) has not had chicken pox. The chances of her contracting chicken pox is pretty high with all the vaccinations. But, its actually getting scarier because I believe all the vaccinations could cause a more virulent form of the disease. In that instance I really should join the bandwagon and get her vaccinated. However, does the vaccine absolutely prevent chicken pox? Or is it just a milder case of the disease?

And the State of Washington says that should an outbreak occur, the child may be excluded from school.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My older children all had chicken pox with no complications.....however my youngest (7 now) has not had chicken pox. The chances of her contracting chicken pox is pretty high with all the vaccinations. But, its actually getting scarier because I believe all the vaccinations could cause a more virulent form of the disease. In that instance I really should join the bandwagon and get her vaccinated. However, does the vaccine absolutely prevent chicken pox? Or is it just a milder case of the disease?

And the State of Washington says that should an outbreak occur, the child may be excluded from school.
As far as I know it prevents Chicken Pox. A lot of times parents diagnose their kids themselves and claim them to have Chicken Pox when it really isn't. It is always best to have pedi give final diagnosis. Allergic reactions and sometimes even Poison Ivy can be mistaken for CP!

Having seen first hand how bad CP can be if I had young kids now I would have them vaccinated.

In all the years I administered shots the Varicella seemed to have the least side effects compared to all the others.

If your child did get Chicken Pox it can be treated with one of the antiviral meds like acyclovir, but for it to work and lessen the length of child being sick it needs to be started within 48 hours of onset. As I said when kids turn into teens or adults having chicken pox can be very serious.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

Because of the GC process both kids have had all vaccinations. To be honest, I didn't agree with the Hep B one but the school district demanded it. both girls have been vaccinated with Gardisil and if it prevents ovarian cancer in later life, good. As a family we have lost too many to this disease.
The Hep B one annoys me in that the virus is only spread through bodily tissue such as blood and whilst worthwhile for medics etc, why Hep B when menningitis is more of a danger to teenagers?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I've seen here with the CP vaccine is that some of the kids seem to get a mild dose of chicken pox not once but multiple times. Ds's best buddy i Kindergarten got it every year most of the way through elementary school, meaning he ended up with a week of every time it happened. He wasn't the only one either, there were quite a few kids this happened to.
Ds didn't get the vax, he was exposed at 5 weeks old when older brother caught it, and I had it before I was born, second trimester, the doc thinks he's already immune as he's been exposed numerous times over the years. I know I am I had Shingles last fall then got the shingles vax hoping never to get that again.
Oldest Ds had the meningitis vax when he entered Uni here. It seems each winter they report some dorm somewhere with a nasty outbreak of Meningitis, that was our only reason, so many teens, living in close quarters and the risk for meningitis.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Nov 15th 2008 at 7:48 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:04 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Texas goes too far with their policy of forcing children to take all those drugs that might or might not protect kids from getting future illnesses.They are only one of a few states to mandate this over drugging policy.I don't trust texas' knowledge on this subject and there are zero surveys to prove this policy has benefited the kids of texas in comparison to children of other American states.Autism and other conditions are being caused by some of these vaccinations and to me that makes the risk too high to chance.Some of these government policies enacted by George W.Bush's governorship in texas.Need I say more?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Texas goes too far with their policy of forcing children to take all those drugs that might or might not protect kids from getting future illnesses.They are only one of a few states to mandate this over drugging policy.I don't trust texas' knowledge on this subject and there are zero surveys to prove this policy has benefited the kids of texas in comparison to children of other American states.Autism and other conditions are being caused by some of these vaccinations and to me that makes the risk too high to chance.Some of these government policies enacted by George W.Bush's governorship in texas.Need I say more?

No you don't need to say any more as you are talking complete nonsense
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:41 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Maybe I should not be but I am, very alarmed at the number of injections that my children are forced to receive at the hands of the Prince of Peace Primary school in Dallas. Today my 3 daughters are getting their 3rd injection in 5 months! This is clearly going way over the top! In the UK they each received their 1st MMR at 18 month. The 1st stage MMR, according to the Texas Health Department published data, has been proven to be 98% effective. The Hepatitis B inoculation is not practiced in schools in England at all, as far as I know.

My wife and I have difficulty understanding why a Roman Catholic School, in contrast to any state schools in the area, would consider their children to be more (!) at risk of contracting Hepatitis B? According to the wikipedia this disease is very uncommon in the US and known only to affect intravenous drug users or be transmitted sexually (!)

Has anyone heard of any rise in these diseases across the US or otherwise justifying extra caution in this matter?

According to information published at www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize it appears that we are acting within the Texas state law which allows exemptions from “any or all required vaccinations”. To satisfy the necessary requirements we got the notarized affidavits from the Texas Department of State Health Services. But alas, this school has taken the line of removing the parent’s freedom of choice on this issue.

The highest authority there appears to be not the vicar but a nun whose consent "must be sought in all affairs". The only response to my pleas I have received from her office was "When do you intend to take your children from our school,then?" To me this is quite disturbing for any office to be so insensitive.

Has anyone had similar experiences in US? Is this “industrial scale inoculation” common in US?

Gezza
My ex went to Cath school, I worked for a priest (he thought publice school was better)......no way our kids were going to Cath elementary school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.