Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vacations in the US

Vacations in the US

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Vacations in the US

Going to England this year is out of the question for us...too expensive! We are looking last minute for somewhere good (and cheap) to go. Where are some good vacation spots?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacations in the US

What do you want to do and how long do you plan to be there?. City hop? lay on a beach etc etc.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the choice is pretty much unlimited in the US, what is it you want to do?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of holiday are you looking for? Beach based, city based, culture based?

Do you prefer a location where you don't have to rent a car? What about the maximum no. of hours travel? Are you not bothered?

NC Penguin
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steff
Going to England this year is out of the question for us...too expensive! We are looking last minute for somewhere good (and cheap) to go. Where are some good vacation spots?
Vegas

Hawaii

Nashville

NYC

Yellowstone

Orlando

San Francisco

Moab

Alaska

The Nantahala

Boston

Chicago
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 5:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Outside of the US, Dominican Republic (helps if you speak Spanish) and Cancun. Dollar does well there. Plus they have charter flights from some US cities to there.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
What do you want to do and how long do you plan to be there?. City hop? lay on a beach etc etc.

My husband has only been on vacation once in the US- we went to NY and he didn't really like it. A beach would probably be good.
How about beaches on the east coast?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has only been on vacation once in the US- we went to NY and he didn't really like it. A beach would probably be good.
If you can handle crowds, then you'll be fine taking a beach holiday on the East Coast between now and end of September. Since school is out, the beaches up and down NC, for example, are swarming with families.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:40 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have had 2 good holidays on the Outer Banks North Carolina.Miles and miles of beaches .Lots of good seafood.Check it out lots of places to stay.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

How about a trip down the Outer Banks? Visit the Wright Brothers Museum, go see the "Lost Colony" at Manteo (recommended!), lighthouses, seafood, the Graveyeard of the Atlantic Museum at Hatteras, then hop a (free) ferry to Ocracoke. And of course there are all those beaches.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:52 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
How about a trip down the Outer Banks? Visit the Wright Brothers Museum, go see the "Lost Colony" at Manteo (recommended!), lighthouses, seafood, the Graveyeard of the Atlantic Museum at Hatteras, then hop a (free) ferry to Ocracoke. And of course there are all those beaches.
Most of my family vacations were spent in the Outer Banks, and I love the place. I'm partial to the areas north of Milepost 1 (Duck, Sanderling, etc.) but then the area is much more developed now than it was when we started going there in 1984.

I highly recommend the Outer Banks, but honestly by this point it's probably too late in the summer season to make any cottage reservations. That said, my brother takes his family there almost every year now, but they wait until September. It's still warm enough to go but the cottage rates drop drastically. Sadly I haven't been to OBX in about 5 years, and Mark's never been. I can't wait to take him!

And yes -- "The Lost Colony" play is a MUST-SEE -- I've seen it four times already, and I'd see it again!

~ Jenney
Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:15 pm
ImHere

Come down here to South East FLA....great beaches and hot seas. Loads of nightlife and cultural experiences as well.

Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Come down here to South East FLA....great beaches and hot seas. Loads of nightlife and cultural experiences as well.
are you working for the tourist board?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Most of my family vacations were spent in the Outer Banks, and I love the place. I'm partial to the areas north of Milepost 1 (Duck, Sanderling, etc.) but then the area is much more developed now than it was when we started going there in 1984.

I highly recommend the Outer Banks, but honestly by this point it's probably too late in the summer season to make any cottage reservations. That said, my brother takes his family there almost every year now, but they wait until September. It's still warm enough to go but the cottage rates drop drastically. Sadly I haven't been to OBX in about 5 years, and Mark's never been. I can't wait to take him!

And yes -- "The Lost Colony" play is a MUST-SEE -- I've seen it four times already, and I'd see it again!

~ Jenney

Good point, prices at the beach go down dramatically after Labor Day if you can wait that long. I like the Redneck Riviera for beaches in Florida, however so do the sharks. St Augustine is neat though and on the opposite side.
What about mountains-Smokies? New England?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 3:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by emmals
are you working for the tourist board?
Um I dont know what I was thinking of actually, encouraging tourists....no, no please go to Orlando, its great there and not at all tacky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.