Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:20 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default V for Vendetta

I just watched this yesterday. It was such a great movie I stayed until the final credit went off the screen. If you liked 1984 and Animal Farm you'll love this. If you don't understand/care what's going on in the world today this probably isn't the movie for you. Great range of British actors in it, with the title role of V being played by Hugo Weaving of Matrix - Agent Smith fame (though you never get to see his face).

Strangely I never noticed Alan Moore's name anywhere (the guy who wrote the comic the movie was based on).

Cameo role from Natalie Portman's underwear in the scene where she's dressed up to look, shall we say, teenybopperish.

Jolly good show, eh what?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:57 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: V for Vendetta

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I just watched this yesterday. It was such a great movie I stayed until the final credit went off the screen. If you liked 1984 and Animal Farm you'll love this. If you don't understand/care what's going on in the world today this probably isn't the movie for you. Great range of British actors in it, with the title role of V being played by Hugo Weaving of Matrix - Agent Smith fame (though you never get to see his face).

Strangely I never noticed Alan Moore's name anywhere (the guy who wrote the comic the movie was based on).

Cameo role from Natalie Portman's underwear in the scene where she's dressed up to look, shall we say, teenybopperish.

Can't wait to see it. I read somewhere that Moore is distancing himself from this film. I think he had a problem with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen being made into a film too.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:26 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Natalie Portman as you have never seen her before

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/83635/...talie_portman/
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:27 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Natalie Portman's pantys have a cameo? Will have to rent it....
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:37 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Great range of British actors in it, with the title role of V being played by Hugo Weaving of Matrix - Agent Smith fame (though you never get to see his face).
Hugo Weaving's Australian.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

he has an australian ?

I thought the film was great and portman didn't detract (unusual for her recently)... V was fantasitcally protrayed and even with the story "amendments" the film worked.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree 100% - an excellent film for today's world. Messages galore for those who wish to see them. I loved it.

Although it's set in London, it could apply to any country....nudge nudge ...look around you.

What we need is a "V" here!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Moore's name isn't on the movie because he hates the film, as apparently it's nothing like his graphic novel.

Must admit I really enjoy the whole movie although its hard to imagine that the UK would be taken over by the religious right and not have taken to the streets before this. Given that this novel was written in protest against Thatcher, we all remember the riots that occurred then, so I doubt if we would sit there meekly as a dictator took over.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:46 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I can see how you might misconstrue that I was calling Hugo British - I'll put in a full stop or semicolon next time .
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:04 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Loved the movie, have to admit made me miss london more so, and was a little bit painful to watch the end lol. Wonderful effects and beautifully done though. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who is an Orwell fan!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No gherkin in the sky line up, so perhaps that got blown up earlier
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:10 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saw it - so was this a British-made movie? I noticed a lot of people saying "bollocks" which the yanks seem to be fascinated with, and someone pronounced "lever" the american way...
Anyway, if was better than I thought. I expected it to be a rip-off of 1984 and The Crow, and it ws better than that. The message was well meaning, but I'd have liked to see the proles be a little more revolutionary at the end (if it was meant as a message, and not just entertainment). Pretty good movie, though