Uuugghh!

Old Sep 13th 2002, 2:00 am
Liwen Liang

Default Re: Uuugghh!

MD,

Thanks, I am not worried about my husband, since he said he did register with the
Selective Service (knowing his memory, or how forgetful he could get sometimes, I was
pleasently surprised.)

I was just curious after reading all the discussion of this Selective Service, and
wondering if any bad thing would happen in a case that a person didn't really apply
naturalization by himself like my husband... I was actually jokingly say to him that
he may not pass the test, because when my mother was preparing for the test years
ago, he couldn't answer a lot of questions from that 100 sample questions...

But, thanks anyway.

LiWen

mdmd101 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Liwen Liang:
    > > I guess my question was in such a case, can the government revoke his
    > > citizenship?
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > > Now I think he may not be the only one if he did forget to do that. So my
    > > > > question is what would happen to his USC status if he did forget (or anyone
    > > > > in a similar situation did forget)?
    > > > Selective Service has calculated that it currently has from 80-90% compliance
    > > > in the registration process. So, sure, there are lots of people who do forget
    > > > to register. What happens? Several things: http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htmhttp:-
    > > > //www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm
     CP
    > >
    > Liwen:
    > Don't worry, the government can't revoke his citizenship even if he didn't register
    > for SSvcs. Once you're a citizen, you're always a citizen. The govt. will revoke
    > your citizenship only if you committed atrociities (Nazi camps or Russion Goulags
    > or during civil wars) and the government discovers this.
    > Also, all kids in junior college are automatically registered with Ssvcs when they
    > apply for admission. -- This covers most of the population--immigrant and
    > non-immigrant.
    > The problem arises when an immigrant kid never goes to junior college or any
    > college and forgets to register with SSvcs. than at the time of Naturalization
    > (there is a question related to this on the form), there can be problems.
    > THis is not a legal advice or statement of fact.
    > MD

Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:54 pm
Omo

[email protected] (James Donovan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > LeightonJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Originally posted by ralph:
    > > > I suppose your ancestors were native Americans.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > I totally agree with you! why are people SOOOO naive? Iif we didn't let
    > > "illegals" in America, there would BE no "America".
    > I really hate it when illegals use this as a justification as to why they should be
    > in America. The first people coming here were colonists, not immigrants. They
    > brought America to this land, and built it, not the other way around. Without them
    > America would be just a big empty continent.
    > > America prides itself in a diverse culture.
    > We have enough diversity already. Have you seen how many illegal Jamaicans live in
    > New York? Do you have any idea what goes on in Jamaican neighborhoods? Crime,
    > violence, rape etc. Diversity is nice but there is a point where we need to draw
    > the line.
    > > We call America the "melting pot" So, without illegals, there wouldn't be as
    > > much culture, and therefore no America...land of the free, where people
    > > flock to start new lives. We should be proud to live in such a place.

How revolting to apply such narrow-minded logic. Gee, why not put down them all? Do
you have any idea what goes on in Italian neighborhoods? Sicily mobsters in 3-piece
striped suits packing heat and Uzis gunning down their pasta-eating brothers? Do you
have any idea what goes on in Chinese neigborhoods? There seems to be a violent and
fierce competition to open "Bejing" restaurants and dry cleaners using their "ancient
Chinese secrets." OMG, and do you have any idea what goes on in those anti-Castro
Cuban neighborhoods? We shudder to think!

> We DO NOT need illegals to have diversity. We already have the DV visa lottery
    > for that.

How long did it take you to come up with that asinine remark? You're forgetting that
those whom you descended from didn't need visas pre or post-Ellis island or the
Mayflower for that matter.

The U.S. would be an extremely BORING place without diversity. Good luck Leighton on
your situation and I'll be praying for you and Jerome.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mrtravel:
mdmd101 wrote:
    > Don't worry, the government can't revoke his citizenship even if he didn't register
    > for SSvcs. Once you're a citizen, you're always a citizen. The govt. will revoke
    > your citizenship only if you committed atrociities (Nazi camps or Russion Goulags
    > or during civil wars) and the government discovers this.

Not true. The government can revoke your citizenship for any reason that would have
prevented you getting it in the first place, such as committing fraud in the process.

> Also, all kids in junior college are automatically registered with Ssvcs when they
    > apply for admission. -- This covers most of the population--immigrant and
    > non-immigrant.

all kids in "all" junior colleges? Is there some sort of Federal law that decides
whether or not a Juco must registered someone for SSS?

Mrtravel:

Don't know about any specific law, but when one enters the Junior College (City college of San Francisco) where I'm from, the college automatically registers the students, i.e. send the bio-data to the Selective Service. I don't remember if there was any form required to be signed by the student. --Based on this, I'm guessing that colleges/Junior colleges in all states must be sending the information about the students to selective services. It makes sense as the kid is around the age of 18 or 19 when they enter college.

As to citizenship, you're correct--they can revoke it for lying on the N-400, but in the past 15 years since I've been following all this, I haven't hear anyone being denaturalized for stating the incorrect age, or hiding petty crimes that were expunged, etc. etc. The only de-naturalization cases I've heard are lying about being a Nazi or an atrocity commitor.

MD
Old Sep 13th 2002, 7:45 pm
Chris Parker

> Not true. The government can revoke your citizenship for any reason that would have
    > prevented you getting it in the first place, such as committing fraud in the
    > process.

Fraud in the naturalization application process is really the only way this can
happen, true.

If this is to be done administratively, the naturalization case needs to be reopened
by the INS within 2 years of the date of naturalization oath. They can also do so
judicially through the federal courts.

INA Sec. 340 and 8 CFR Part 340.1 (for administrative revocation under INA 340(h) )
are the laws which control this subject.

CP