Uuugghh!

Old Sep 6th 2002, 3:17 am
James Donovan

Default Re: Uuugghh!

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Oh, please.. Different climate?? Is he that sickly that a little summer will kill
    > him? Will he perish without "cold winters"?

I find it so ironic that so many Canadians fly south to Florida to escape the cold
yet one Jamaican illegal immigrant can't live without the cold.

> What do you think the food will do to him? Have you ever been to a standard
    > shopping are in Jamaica? I assure you there is more food I like in Jamaica than I
    > dislike.

And believe me, there are alot of KFC's and McDonald's in Jamaica too!

Old Sep 6th 2002, 1:38 pm
James Donovan

LeightonJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > ANYONE could probably get accustomed to any country.....but thats just it....NO
    > ONE should get accustomed if they have known one country their whole life, (Or
    > large majority of their life.)

Then you have just given a very valid reason why all people who have immigrated here
in the last 5 years should go home. Immigrants come here and assimilate, why can't
Jerome go back home and assimilate? He would assimilate quicker there than he would
have in the USA if he had immigrated to the USA at age 18.

> Jerome DOESNT want to go back,

It's not about what he wants. He could not want to go back all he wants. The
question is if he has to go, he has to go.

> and, his 2 cousins were just shot down last month, I do not need to discuss what
    > part of Jamaica because of privacy concerns, but I assure you....they are dead.
    > That is about all the family he was "close to" (A once a month phone convo
    > perhaps.)

So he has closer family here? Please.

> Also, if I were Chinese, I could eat rats like they do in China...but why would
    > I want to go eat Rats if I was accustomed to hot dogs and hamburgers while being
    > raised in America?

There is almost no part of the world where you can't get American food. Jamaica is
no exception. Your husband does not have to live in the "killing field". There are
many places in Jamaica that are not full of crime and violence.There are other
countries he can try immigrating to, Canada is one of them. And there are some which
he would have free movement to, especially in the Caribbean under the CARICOM
agreement. I don't see why he absolutely must live in the USA.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by LeightonJ:

There IS most certainly something wrong with going back to Jamaica when you have only known America. You have to realiize....not everywhere in Jamaica is like the resorts you see on Tv. In fact, where most of Jerome's "family" resides, it is basically like a killing ground. There is a lot of violence and my husband wouldnt know how to survive there. Imagine for a moment that YOU were born in Jamaica......different food, thick accents, different climate....and then you moved to the US when you were 2, and were used to "american" food, and cold winters, and diverse culture....it just isnt fair if he would have to be sent back...
-Emily
Leigh....:

It isn't fair at all. It isn't fair to send anyone back as long as they're consistently working and paying income tax as well as not committing any serious crime (traffic violations acceptable).

United States of America needs workers. Even though population and economics is not my subject, I have studied it in-depth over the last 12 years or so. United States is so underpopulated that if we don't have immigrant workers, some areas of our economy may come to a grinding halt.

For eg. if we were to deport each and every illegal worker from California, Texas and Arizona, the agriculture and labor-intensive aspects of the economies in these states will fail, i.e. there would be chaos.

If we were to deport each and every H-1 engineer and programmer who came over from India, our Technology sector would just fail, i.e. completely come to a grinding halt.
Without our H-1 workforce, United States wouldn't be the #1 technology country in the world. Look at Germany, look at Japan, look at Sweden and Denmark, they're all trying to copy United States to attract highly skilled workers from India. I was recently living at five star hotel in India and I saw a huge convention of Germany's deparment of labor giving away German Green Cards to any Indian and his family who had a bachelor's degree in technology.

Canada is a live example of this. Canada didn't let in or attarct immirants for a long long time. Look at it today, it is the second largest country in the world with a population of just 30 million. AND NOW, they don't have enough workers to work and contribute income taxea ans social securtiy taxes. They've now implemented a policy of accelarated immigration,but they appear to be fighting a loosing battle.

Well, enough said not. The point I'm making is it is UNFAIR to send anyone back unless they're criminal or they're unwilling to work.--United States has a lot of space for a lot of people, just because they came here illegally shouldn't be a reason to send them back. Their improper conduct after coming to the US should be used as a criteria to adjudicate this.

MD
Old Sep 6th 2002, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rete:
The acts of September 11 had nothing to do with your husband's situation. As his/your previous posts started he arrived in the US was illegal as his mother paid someone while in Canada to smuggle him into the US at the age of two. She then supposedly got a phony visa of some sort and came here later.

Section 245(i) was in affect and expired long before September 11th and its extension has been in debate in Congress since its expiration. Before September 11th there were many people who were against the reactivation of the bill as they feel that rewarding illegals for illegal activity is wrong.

Speaking only for myself and no one else on the board, your husband and his mother and all the other illegals piss me off when they circumvent the INS rules and regulations for their benefit. We, US Citizens and foreign fiancees and spouses, have followed those rules, jumped through hoops, had our petitions delayed because of the influx of petitions due to Section 245(i) when it was in affect and are not given preferential treatment even though we are US Citizens. It burns me to see illegals be able to get status ahead of or at the same time as a family member of a USC who is doing things legally. Why play by the rules if the government is only going to reward you down the line for ignoring them.

The above statement has nothing to do with the hardship of the illegals, their escape from less than human living conditions in their own country, or their contribution to ours. It is a statement regarding the government's need to ensure their political future by buying the votes of illegals because they can't count on the votes of US citizens and their total disregard for the constituents who have placed them in office by treating them like the illegals while the illegals are treated like citizens.

Rete:

You blaming the illegals for the problems to your husband. My wife is stuck in Bombay as well, not becasue of the illegals, but because I was married twice in the past before I married my current wife for whom this is her first marriage. This is a red flag and hence my wife is in admin. processing. Not, because of the "illegals."

I guess you have a red flag as well in your relationship with your husband. They're not keeping your husband in Bombay because of the illegals.

I despise your views on illegals. This shows your total lack of sensitivity and feelings for the plight of the illegals. They are here becuse they want to work, not becasue they want to commit crimes or get a free ride from the welfare system. Crossing the boudries of anothe country just to WORK is not ILLEGAL.

Look at all the lawsuites on CNN--the culprits are all born and raised US citizens, who would you pick to be on your side or in your neighborhood--someone who is a child molester and a killer or a mexican illegal who just wants to work here.

You sound worst than the xenophobic bastards posting on some boards.

MD
Old Sep 6th 2002, 9:30 pm
Chris Parker

> Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica? He
    > will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.

Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:

What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?

- Will they allow him to go home for vacations during breaks in his duty to
see his wife?
- Upon return from military duty, was he lawfully inspected and admitted to the U.S.,
and therefore eligible to apply for adjustment?
- Will the 3-year and 10-year bars to admission still apply to him for a departure
while serving under the miltary?

CP

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The military requires that you produce evidence of US citizenship and/or a ten year green card as has been shown by others on the NG who wished to join the military before obtaining their full unconditional PR status.

Speaking from experience my husband was able to join the Guard. However, he only had a CPR status and when September 11 occurred his unit was activitated. NYC INS would not give him an extension on the I-551 even though he had not received his green card and the I-551 was due to expire. If he had been sent out of the country he would not have been allowed back into the US as he did not have "proof of status". It was only with our congresswoman's liaison's assistance that he was able to obtain an extended I-551 without fear of serving and not being allowed back into the US.

In Jerome's case, he found out the truth of his status when he attempted to get a social security card. At least this is the way I recall it and I apologize if this is incorrect. Without a social security and a US birth certificate, he is SOL in joining up.

Rete
Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:56 pm
Mrtravel

mdmd101 wrote:

> It isn't fair at all. It isn't fair to send anyone back as long as they're
    > consistently working and paying income tax as well as not committing any serious
    > crime (traffic violations acceptable).
    > United States of America needs workers.

Sure, and we need them to be legal immigrants. How that process happens is the
problem. That said, present laws need to be followed or you suffer the consequences.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 11:09 pm
Mrtravel

Chris Parker wrote:
    > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica?
    > > He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.
    > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?

As an illegal alien can he enlist?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
Chris Parker wrote:
    > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica?
    > > He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.
    > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?

As an illegal alien can he enlist?
If anone who is "not" in temporary status in the US and under the age of 26 is required to register with selective services. --this is mandatory even if someone is illegaly here.

Can he enlist? I don't know. Very easy to find out, just go to the local recuruting station and try to enlist.
Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:23 am
Michael Voight

Did he register with selective service as required by law, even for illegal aliens?
If not, then this is something else that can be held against him.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 2:46 pm
Chris Parker

> Did he register with selective service as required by law, even for illegal aliens?
    > If not, then this is something else that can be held against him.

Men can register with the selective service up until age 26. He's only 19 so he has
time, although he is "required" top register if they were to go about enforcing this
law one day. In general, they just deny Federal student aid benefits and the
possibility of federal employmnent if you aren't registered.
Registering requires a social security number also, and that might be a way he could
get a SSN from SSA for nonwork purposes.
The DOD's regulations only allow permanent residents to enlist. The regulations,
BTW, also require completion of high school for anyone to enlist. So he can't
voluntarily join the U.S. military either. Now, if there was a draft (such as to
attack Iraq, although DOD doesn't presently contemplate a draft for that) and he was
involuntarily put into the military, then it would be interesting. The last time we
had a draft was the Vietnam War in the 1970's, and although the draft process has
been revised since then, drafts have remained very unpopular since that time and the
"Reserve" has been established as the alternative. That was also before all the
immigration reform we've seen in the last 15 years, and the concept of
inadmissibility based on unlawful presence.

CP

Old Sep 7th 2002, 3:06 pm
Harvey Leems

You have it wrong. Men MUST register with selective service on their 18th birthday
and remain on the active roles UNTIL age 26. It sure doesn't mean one can wait until
26 to register. I hope you registered at age 18 as mandated by law, or you will be
in some deep trouble. Don't give this advice again, it is WRONG!!!

--
Harvey Leems "Chris Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cebf7f45.0209070646.4e96b2ee@po-
sting.google.com
    > > Did he register with selective service as required by law, even for illegal
    > > aliens? If not, then this is something else that can be held against him.
    > Men can register with the selective service up until age 26. He's only 19 so he
    > has time, although he is "required" top register if they were to go about enforcing
    > this law one day. In general, they just deny Federal student aid benefits and the
    > possibility of federal employmnent if you aren't registered.
    > ***
    > Registering requires a social security number also, and that might be a way he
    > could get a SSN from SSA for nonwork purposes.
    > ***
    > The DOD's regulations only allow permanent residents to enlist. The regulations,
    > BTW, also require completion of high school for anyone to enlist. So he can't
    > voluntarily join the U.S. military either. Now, if there was a draft (such as to
    > attack Iraq, although DOD doesn't presently contemplate a draft for that) and he
    > was involuntarily put into the military, then it would be interesting. The last
    > time we had a draft was the Vietnam War in the 1970's, and although the draft
    > process has been revised since then, drafts have remained very unpopular since that
    > time and the "Reserve" has been established as the alternative. That was also
    > before all the immigration reform we've seen in the last 15 years, and the concept
    > of inadmissibility based on unlawful presence.
    > CP

Old Sep 7th 2002, 5:43 pm
LeightonJ

Originally posted by Harvey Leems:
You have it wrong. Men MUST register with selective service on their 18th birthday
and remain on the active roles UNTIL age 26. It sure doesn't mean one can wait until
26 to register. I hope you registered at age 18 as mandated by law, or you will be
in some deep trouble. Don't give this advice again, it is WRONG!!!

--
Harvey Leems "Chris Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cebf7f45.0209070646.4e96b2ee@po-
sting.google.com
    > > Did he register with selective service as required by law, even for illegal
    > > aliens? If not, then this is something else that can be held against him.
    > Men can register with the selective service up until age 26. He's only 19 so he
    > has time, although he is "required" top register if they were to go about enforcing
    > this law one day. In general, they just deny Federal student aid benefits and the
    > possibility of federal employmnent if you aren't registered.
    > ***
    > Registering requires a social security number also, and that might be a way he
    > could get a SSN from SSA for nonwork purposes.
    > ***
    > The DOD's regulations only allow permanent residents to enlist. The regulations,
    > BTW, also require completion of high school for anyone to enlist. So he can't
    > voluntarily join the U.S. military either. Now, if there was a draft (such as to
    > attack Iraq, although DOD doesn't presently contemplate a draft for that) and he
    > was involuntarily put into the military, then it would be interesting. The last
    > time we had a draft was the Vietnam War in the 1970's, and although the draft
    > process has been revised since then, drafts have remained very unpopular since that
    > time and the "Reserve" has been established as the alternative. That was also
    > before all the immigration reform we've seen in the last 15 years, and the concept
    > of inadmissibility based on unlawful presence.
    > CP
ok, Im not going to respond to each and every posting because I am very late for work as it is, but I will respond to everyone in this posting. #1.) Rete, you are wrong about HOW he found out (Even though it isn't of much importance.) Jerome found out when he asked his mother to give him his social and she broke down and told him...finally. Also, Jerome wants to be in the army very badly. So, Im a little confused....WOULD that be an option for him? If so, that would make his day....And as for all the othter (In my opinion STUPID comments about why Jerome doesn't want to leave, and how he would be "better off going back to jamaica" PLEASE spare me. I'm only 21, and I realize that if you were raised some place for 17 out of 19 years of your life, why would you all of a sudden want to leave it? DUH ...I mean come on, people. Its not all about the food. Im sure my husband would survive on Pig Tail and Curry Chicken (since he eats it all the time) but as far as not KNOWING any one. His mother, brothers, sisters, friends, teachers and wife are here...please use common sense. (WHY do they call it "common" sense if it isn't all that COMMON?) Would YOU (speaking to those who constantly tell him it would be better to just go back) want to just drop your life in the only country you knew to move to a foreign one because some stupid bill says so? No, I realllllly don't think so....even if there were a million KFC's . I am a law abiding, contributing US citizen, and I can tell ya if I was in his place, I wouldn't want to leave either. Moving on...........thanks to all of you who have been giving me new ideas to research...trust me, its been keeping us busy!! Oh yea and I wanted to make one more comment while Im thinkinig about it. I dated a 27 year old man for 21/2 years who hasn't worked a day in his life. He was diagnosed with Cerebal Palsey when he was 5yrs old, and has recieved SSI every month. He can do everything perfectly well. In fact, while dating him, I didn't find out of his situation till 9 months into the relationship, because there is no obvious apparent physical difference between him and a perfectly healthy 27 year old. His cerebral palsey barely limits him at all, yet he refuses to work because he is "afraid that he will lose his benefits" or, he is worried that they will at least decrease. Oh, and......he is a US citizen. Yet, Jerome wants to go to college and work, yet can't.....so, you can't judge the country based on their status...because if you did that, I know many more immigrants who have more drive and ambition than many US citizens ever will! Also, watch out, because if you are waiting for a new law to pass regarding people in situations similar to Jeromes, I am the person to do it. I have this little "problem". ...see, I don't give up, and I am always ready to learn and fight for what I believe in....and trust me, I will fight it to the end. The internet is an amazing tool with a lot of great information regarding almost any issue you can think of....so, as long as I have my resources, I will keep fighting, and keep searching for an alternative for Jerome, as long as I can bear it. ... Thanks again, everyone!

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:02 pm
James Donovan

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message

> As an illegal alien can he enlist?

Not voluntarily. But he can be drafted.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:06 pm
James Donovan

mdmd101 <[email protected]> wrote in message

> If anone who is "not" in temporary status in the US and under the age of 26 is
    > required to register with selective services. --this is mandatory even if someone
    > is illegaly here.
    > Can he enlist? I don't know. Very easy to find out, just go to the local recuruting
    > station and try to enlist.

The answer is definitely no. Illegals cannot enlist voluntarily. I have confirmed
this with my local recruitment office. But they do have to register with selective
service. The catch, of course, is that the Government now knows where you are if
you're illegal, so you can't hide anymore.

Furthermore, the draft is very different from what it used to be. A draft has not
happened for a long time, and it may be a long time before it happens again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.