Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Utterly greedy f**kers??

Originally Posted by JRG67
I go back now to my existential perch and await your rather predictable reply! LOL
If it's so predictable why not make it for me?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:59 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm sophomoric, you guys are freshmen. I'm glad I'm in bed and asleep so I don't have to watch you bicker.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speedwell
If I'm sophomoric, you guys are freshmen. I'm glad I'm in bed and asleep so I don't have to watch you bicker.
Don't you mean soporific?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markwm
No, I come across as someone who examines both sides of an argument and tends to try to be fair and unemotional about the conclusions I might reach. Your assumptions about me are, frankly, ridiculous and you clearly did not read/understand my last post.

Well would love to share but...
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You're not starting that old rant again??? I did read your last post and fully comprehended it too. Unfortunately you do not appear to have the ability of self-analysis.
You definitely seem to have some kind of paranoia and are attacking everyone whilst claiming others have not read your post.
I go back now to my existential perch and await your rather predictable reply! LOL
Perhaps you could take your personal arguments to PM or put each other on ignore. Your choice...but I am getting a little fed up with complaints about a handful of relatively new members who are taking serious threads off topic due to bickering and inane comments.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:03 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Hey, I'm just a drunken visiting professor looking for some action out of town
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Perhaps you could take your personal arguments to PM or put each other on ignore. Your choice...but I am getting a little fed up with complaints about a handful of relatively new members who are taking serious threads off topic due to bickering and inane comments.
What? We're enjoying ourselves and doing no harm and we're not off topic. No one is forcing you to read this and neither of us is unhappy about it. It's just banter and healthy argument.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:07 pm
Banned

What? We're enjoying ourselves and doing no harm and we're not off topic. No one is forcing you to read this and neither of us is unhappy about it. It's just banter and healthy argument.
Agreed!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Sounded that way to me.

You post on a public forum, expect to get a reaction. You're not special, far from it. If you don't like the reaction, stop posting. I have an opinion which appears to be slightly different from yours and I will respond, in any way I choose, to make my point. Hopefully I'll do it it in a measured, polite manner and you are free to ignore it if you so choose.

It cuts both ways you know.

You do not KNOW what I intended in my postings. All you, I or anybody can do, is interpret, based on our values, beliefs, prejudices, experiences etc.

Whose responsibility is it to ensure that the recipient understands the intention of the communication? In my opinion it is the person sending message. Clearly I wasn't successful in this with you (and possibly others). 'My bad'. But as I said before, don't presume to TELL me what I meant, but by all means seek clarification. As you said, you don't have to agree with my position. I'm quite OK with reactions and responses - I encourage them, it's one of the reasons I post. Nobody has to agree even slightly with my views, including you. But nobody gets to tell me what to think,or what I meant, without being rebuffed. Even if they are God (who apparently IS special).
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Grasses.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Do you believe in the death penalty?
Ah ha - good question.

No, I don't.

My understanding is that it doesn't deter.

And any system made by Man is open to abuse and be flawed. I am suspicious that so many non-white/poor people are on death row. I know there are plenty of complex reasons why AND we are talking about the USA which is a LONG way from being free of institutionalised racism for example. We only have to look to the voter access/fraud legislation some 18 states tried to implement in this past election for some evidence...

We know that the criminal justice system in practically every country that has one has convicted innocent people... Imagine putting to death an innocent person... How many states in the US can honestly say this has never happened, and be 100% sure about it?

And pointing to the Bible and using that as justification is just dogma of the lowest kind - and belittles many of the tenets of organised religion that so many point to as being a force for 'good' - a vengeful God is a terrible prospect in deed... Before we know it there will be dictators and fascists using this as pretext for ethnic cleansing. Oh, hang on a minute... We've already had that. More than once.

Besides, sticking somebody on death row for 20 years and then executing them strikes me as cruel and unusual, only I guess technically not so unusual given that it has been the norm for decades...

In this one area of justice I believe the USA shares the stage with some of the worst regimes on the planet... That is hard to 'square' when lecturing the rest of the World on justice and human rights...

And yes, what of the victims of capital crimes, including friends & family? Yes, there must be justice, closure etc. it's not always possible, but one reason for not allowing the victims to be judge, jury or executioner is to avoid vengeance running amok... just ask the people who have lived with decades, if not centuries, of tit for tat crimes involving death and mutilation...

The USA is still a young country. Sometimes, in my view, it shows. It (the USA) is a huge experiment, in my view very much a work in progress - but possibly the most important in the development of Mankind for the past 250 years and perhaps the next 250 years. It's evolving - evolution happens in small steps, rarely in single large steps...
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Grasses.
Jealousy?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
It cuts both ways you know.
Indeed.

You do not KNOW what I intended in my postings. All you, I or anybody can do, is interpret, based on our values, beliefs, prejudices, experiences etc.
Indeed.

Whose responsibility is it to ensure that the recipient understands the intention of the communication? In my opinion it is the person sending message. Clearly I wasn't successful in this with you (and possibly others). 'My bad'.
Fair enough.

But as I said before, don't presume to TELL me what I meant
I didn't: I told you what it came across to me as.

but by all means seek clarification.
I like that: good point well made.

As you said, you don't have to agree with my position. I'm quite OK with reactions and responses - I encourage them, it's one of the reasons I post. Nobody has to agree even slightly with my views, including you. But nobody gets to tell me what to think,or what I meant, without being rebuffed.
Absolutely: where would be the fun if you simply acquiesced?

Even if they are God (who apparently IS special).
Now that's a whole different kettle of fish - want to start a new thread?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:02 pm
Banned

Ah ha - good question.

No, I don't.

My understanding is that it doesn't deter.

And any system made by Man is open to abuse and be flawed. I am suspicious that so many non-white/poor people are on death row. I know there are plenty of complex reasons why AND we are talking about the USA which is a LONG way from being free of institutionalised racism for example. We only have to look to the voter access/fraud legislation some 18 states tried to implement in this past election for some evidence...

We know that the criminal justice system in practically every country that has one has convicted innocent people... Imagine putting to death an innocent person... How many states in the US can honestly say this has never happened, and be 100% sure about it?

And pointing to the Bible and using that as justification is just dogma of the lowest kind - and belittles many of the tenets of organised religion that so many point to as being a force for 'good' - a vengeful God is a terrible prospect in deed... Before we know it there will be dictators and fascists using this as pretext for ethnic cleansing. Oh, hang on a minute... We've already had that. More than once.

Besides, sticking somebody on death row for 20 years and then executing them strikes me as cruel and unusual, only I guess technically not so unusual given that it has been the norm for decades...

In this one area of justice I believe the USA shares the stage with some of the worst regimes on the planet... That is hard to 'square' when lecturing the rest of the World on justice and human rights...

And yes, what of the victims of capital crimes, including friends & family? Yes, there must be justice, closure etc. it's not always possible, but one reason for not allowing the victims to be judge, jury or executioner is to avoid vengeance running amok... just ask the people who have lived with decades, if not centuries, of tit for tat crimes involving death and mutilation...

The USA is still a young country. Sometimes, in my view, it shows. It (the USA) is a huge experiment, in my view very much a work in progress - but possibly the most important in the development of Mankind for the past 250 years and perhaps the next 250 years. It's evolving - evolution happens in small steps, rarely in single large steps...
Interesting. I saw a film about the death penalty with Sarah Sarandon and Sean Penn, but I can't remember the title. It was very thought-provoking.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:04 pm
Banned

Indeed.

Indeed.

Fair enough.

I didn't: I told you what it came across to me as.

I like that: good point well made.

Absolutely: where would be the fun if you simply acquiesced?

Now that's a whole different kettle of fish - want to start a new thread?
Watch out! The Dark Forces may still be lurking (I'm getting paranoid (too?)) LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.