Utility Costs

Wikiposts

Utility Costs

Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utility Costs

Hi guys,

I'm currently mulling over a possible move to the US, more specifically Reno, and I'm adding up various costs to see if it is feasible. However, I'm really struggling to find any information about the cost of utilities. The apartments I've looked at all state that the tenant pays for gas, heat, electricity, water and trash removal.

Long story short, could anyone give me an approximation of how much these things would cost on a monthly basis (I'm aware nobody can give an exact number, but I need to know roughly and google has failed me).

Cheers,
SJJ
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utility Costs

You'll get a very specific answer if you post on the Reno relocation message board here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/reno-sparks-area/

That will help you not only with those specific costs but also on neighborhood recommendations, schools, entertainment, etc all specific to folks relocating to Reno.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the complex you are renting in. My daughter lived for several years in Las Vegas and she was not charged for trash removal separately.

Utilities are usually always separate and depending on your appliances and level of a/c comfort you like and whether or not your stove is gas or electric, those charges will vary from month to month. If I'm recalling correctly, her utilities for electric (she didn't have a gas stove) was about $75.00 a month in the winter months and around $110 in full summer. Her water bill has usually $30-35 every three months.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you have the visa thing sorted?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E3only
I assume you have the visa thing sorted?
It's in "the process"... The guy has basically told me to weigh up all the financial implications before I accept - it would be heart-breaking to get through all the visa stuff to realise that I can't afford the move.

Visa isn't a worry for me anyways, it will be a L-1 visa for a level-III software engineer (ie. technical lead), classed as a unique-experience level - I've been assured that getting a visa, and a subsequent green card, will not be an issue. I've even looked into all the green card process waiting times are for the level I'm looking at (E3) there's just the time to process the application (at the moment).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn
It's in "the process"... The guy has basically told me to weigh up all the financial implications before I accept - it would be heart-breaking to get through all the visa stuff to realise that I can't afford the move.

Visa isn't a worry for me anyways, it will be a L-1 visa for a level-III software engineer (ie. technical lead), classed as a unique-experience level - I've been assured that getting a visa, and a subsequent green card, will not be an issue. I've even looked into all the green card process waiting times are for the level I'm looking at (E3) there's just the time to process the application (at the moment).
Good.

EB3 GC processing is the slowest.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What you can do is call the utility companies up or email them and say you were interesting in this apartment or house at whatever address and wanted to know what the low/high and 12 month average was for that particular address and get it for a few addressed for some places you might be interested in via craigslist etc and you'll get an idea on cost.