Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What car would you buy?

What car would you buy?

Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:43 pm
Frequent Flyer

Carolina Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What car would you buy?

I'm after a safe, fuel efficient SUV to replace my aging (2000) Honda CRV.

If you had to replace that vehicle what would you buy, and why?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:05 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car would you buy?

They're 4 words you don't often see together in a sentence...!

Have you looked at the Toyota Highalnder hybrid...I quite liked it a few years ago but we needed something with higher towing capacity....which pretty much eliminated the fuel efficiency part of the question!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:06 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They're 4 words you don't often see together in a sentence...!

Have you looked at the Toyota Highalnder hybrid...I quite liked it a few years ago but we needed something with higher towing capacity....which pretty much eliminated the fuel efficiency part of the question!
I was after something a bit smaller than a Highlander but I do like the look of it. What is it's MPG on that thing?

Plus, how much more expensive are they for the hybrid version?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:07 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with a Sportage.

I just got a Forte and have been extremely happy with KIA.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:08 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Manc
I would go with a Sportage.

I just got a Forte and have been extremely happy with KIA.

I have driven Kia's as rental vehicles and hated them, but I haven't test driven the Sportage.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:12 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking to upgrade our old Ford Taurus for an SUV early next year, and we want one with the option of a third row of seats. We've seen the Hyundai VerraCruz models, which were very nice (18-26 MPG), and the smaller versions, the Santa Fe models (but they don't have a third row).

Cost about $26,000 - $41,000 new, but really very good value. New Hyundai cars also come with a 100,000 mile warranty and free road side assistance.

I like the Nissan Muranos too. Bigger version of my little Versa.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
I have driven Kia's as rental vehicles and hated them, but I haven't test driven the Sportage.
understood.

it's all relative too.

I drive 2 miles to work and back a day....... it's not like I live in it.

My Misses has a 08 Honda CRV which is superb.
won't honda give you a deal if you're already a Honda owner?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:14 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by gingerert
We're looking to upgrade our old Ford Taurus for an SUV early next year, and we want one with the option of a third row of seats. We've seen the Hyundai VerraCruz models, which were very nice (18-26 MPG), and the smaller versions, the Santa Fe models (but they don't have a third row).

Cost about $26,000 - $41,000 new, but really very good value. New Hyundai cars also come with a 100,000 mile warranty and free road side assistance.

I like the Nissan Muranos too. Bigger version of my little Versa.
I like the Murano as well, but like the Kias I've driven Hyundais as hire cars and hated them.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Manc
understood.

it's all relative too.

I drive 2 miles to work and back a day....... it's not like I live in it.

My Misses has a 08 Honda CRV which is superb.
won't honda give you a deal if you're already a Honda owner?

Yeah, Honda do good deals for pre-existing owners as do VW but I can't stand the new body style for CRVs. I know that's a lame reason but they just leaves me cold.

I really like the look of the VW Tiguan but if the interior is anything like the VW Passat then I won't touch it with a barge pole. My wife has one and the trim is the worst piece of crap out there. Plastic bits breaking off within months of buying new.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Murano as well, but like the Kias I've driven Hyundais as hire cars and hated them.

Really?? Why?

I've been a Hyundai owner since 2001. Have owned an Elantra and a Sonata and my daughter owns the Santa Fe and I have to say that all three cars are great. I can find absolutely nothing about any of the three models to dislike. Love the feel of the drive, turning radius, gas mileage, interior and exterior, powerful pickup, great brakes and great sound system.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm after a safe, fuel efficient SUV to replace my aging (2000) Honda CRV.

If you had to replace that vehicle what would you buy, and why?
Subaru Forester.

Good value, ain't a truck, well made, can do roads or dirt tracks, can fling it round corners.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:23 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Rete
Really?? Why?

I've been a Hyundai owner since 2001. Have owned an Elantra and a Sonata and my daughter owns the Santa Fe and I have to say that all three cars are great. I can find absolutely nothing about any of the three models to dislike. Love the feel of the drive, turning radius, gas mileage, interior and exterior, powerful pickup, great brakes and great sound system.

I'm an average sized bloke but the seats were uncomfortable, I could never get them adjusted comfortably to drive. I was doing a lot of miles and when you can't get comfy it starts to tell.

Engine wise they seemed okay and they had enough power to keep me happy but if you don't like getting in the vehicle because it's like sitting in an Iron Maiden it's not going to leave you with a good impression.

Just my opinion though.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:25 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an average sized bloke but the seats were uncomfortable, I could never get them adjusted comfortably to drive. I was doing a lot of miles and when you can't get comfy it starts to tell.

Engine wise they seemed okay and they had enough power to keep me happy but if you don't like getting in the vehicle because it's like sitting in an Iron Maiden it's not going to leave you with a good impression.

Just my opinion though.
Yes, I should have said that we haven't actually test-ridden the Hyundais yet - just poked about in them a bit and played with the electrics.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:25 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Subaru Forester.

Good value, ain't a truck, well made, can do roads or dirt tracks, can fling it round corners.

Appologies to any lesbians out there but Subarus are the number one vehicle for American lesbians. Or, so I am told.

I actually kind of like them but my wife refuses to have one for when she has to drive my vehicle. She doesn't want to be looked at funny.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:27 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by gingerert
Yes, I should have said that we haven't actually test-ridden the Hyundais yet - just poked about in them a bit and played with the electrics.

That's the thing though its every Kia or Hyundai that I have driven and I've driven four different models two of each and they were all uncomfortable. My CRV was in the shop and I was switching vehicles at the car rental shop because it was killing me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.