Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Utilities & Banking set up before moving?

Utilities & Banking set up before moving?

Old May 9th 2014, 1:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities & Banking set up before moving?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Must be a local thing.
We pay all of our bills through one credit card, with automatic drafting and no fees charged. The only one we don't do that way is our MUD district who want to charge $3.95 per billing cycle for autopay enrollment. Given that, especially in Winter, our MUD bill can be as low as $20, that is an outrageous amount which pisses me off so much I do them by online billpay from the bank. Does anyone remember the days when you used to get a discount for enrolling in autopay, presumably because companies realized it simplified their receipts section, and reduced the need for a collections department....?
You still get that in England (discount for Direct Debit) as it goes.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You still get that in England (discount for Direct Debit) as it goes.
Do you? Haven't had regular bills to pay in England for a couple of decades, so wasn't sure. The discount always seemed to make sense to me, rather than penalizing people for wanting to automate it.....
Old May 10th 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thinbrit
The only problem I see in using a UK credit/debit card may be with the utility company being able to enter your billing 'zip' code in to their payment processing system.
I recall I had problems buying gas with my UK card when I first moved here as the pump wanted me to enter my 5 digit, numerical, 'zip'. That was 8 years ago, so it may be different now.
I've had this a couple of times in the US too, when it's happened to me on various visits I've had to go inside to authorise a set amount filling up. A bit of a pain but being used to going in to pay in the UK, it's never really bothered me.

Although I'm used to it now, the whole idea of paying in advance seems odd to me. I know it obviously prevents people driving off without paying, but I still think it's weird.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:11 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I second the Lloyds International bank card, we haven't moved over yet either, but that's what my husband has done and he's got an AMEX cc too now.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
I've had this a couple of times in the US too, when it's happened to me on various visits I've had to go inside to authorise a set amount filling up. A bit of a pain but being used to going in to pay in the UK, it's never really bothered me.

Although I'm used to it now, the whole idea of paying in advance seems odd to me. I know it obviously prevents people driving off without paying, but I still think it's weird.
It's not odd if you're from Liverpool. Fuel stations enforce the same policy throughout the city last time I had the misfortune to visit the area.

When I encountered this silly policy in the States I would just go in and ensure the pump was enabled without payment to allow me to fill up then come and pay. Another ridiculous policy is having to fill up at the pump the same side as your fuel cap.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:29 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
....the whole idea of paying in advance seems odd to me....
When we lived in CA I had to go inside to prepay if I wanted a full tank of gas. The cost of gas was so high that the $75 limit most gas station impose if you pay at the pump was not enough for a full tank
Old May 11th 2014, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... Another ridiculous policy is having to fill up at the pump the same side as your fuel cap.
Yeah, that used to drive me nuts too, but it's been so long that I've got over it now.
.... That said, I think that few people in the UK realise that the filler hose is long enough to reach across the car. Mrs P was amazed, verging on shocked the first time I did that after she arrived in the UK.
Old May 11th 2014, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, that used to drive me nuts too, but it's been so long that I've got over it now.
.... That said, I think that few people in the UK realise that the filler hose is long enough to reach across the car. Mrs P was amazed, verging on shocked the first time I did that after she arrived in the UK.
It's just a ridiculous policy. I've had the guy at Hess come out and attempt to explain to me exactly why I can't fill up my car this way. All I get told is 'it's policy'. I ignore their protestations now and just fill my car up whichever way I see as fit. I really tired of idiot American laws which make no sense.

That said, given how empty gas stations are here compared to England it never really becomes an issue.
Old May 11th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Another ridiculous policy is having to fill up at the pump the same side as your fuel cap.
Is that a state policy, a local policy, a gas station policy or a policy that someone made up just to be annoying?

I have never encountered anything like that in California and I do, from time to time (when it is convenient to do so) fill up my vehicle from a pump on the opposite side to the fuel cap.

Anyway, it isn't nearly as ridiculous as the "you can't pump your own gas" policy in Oregon and New Jersey ...
Old May 11th 2014, 9:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
...., from time to time (when it is convenient to do so) fill up my vehicle from a pump on the opposite side to the fuel cap. ....
You have pump hoses that are long enough?

From New England to Orlando, and as far west as Knoxville, TN, and almost to Birmingham, AL, I have never noticed a hose long enough, or even a pull-out retractable one like some in the UK.
Old May 11th 2014, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by md95065
Is that a state policy, a local policy, a gas station policy or a policy that someone made up just to be annoying?
It seems specific to Hess from what I can make out.

Anyway, it isn't nearly as ridiculous as the "you can't pump your own gas" policy in Oregon and New Jersey ...
Are you expected to tip the people who fill your tank for you? Or do I already know the answer to that question?
Old May 11th 2014, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have pump hoses that are long enough?
It probably helps that I drive a Honda S2000 ...
Old May 11th 2014, 10:39 pm

.... Are you expected to tip the people who fill your tank for you? Or do I already know the answer to that question?
I don't know, it's a long time since I bought gas in NJ. In fact I think it only happened once. Ever since then I would always plan ahead and buy enough gas before I get there.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... Another ridiculous policy is having to fill up at the pump the same side as your fuel cap.
Depends on the petrol station....some of them have the hoses that extend out like Irvings or BJ's.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the petrol station....some of them have the hoses that extend out like Irvings or BJ's.
I was at one the other day that had a big sign saying "use both sides - extra long hoses". It was long enough to stretch over the truck, although it was quite awkward getting it there! In the wife's heap, its easy to use either side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.