Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Years ago I remember reading an article that explained the best way to address your mail to ensure the fastest and most accurate delivery by USPS. This is how you would do it:

John Smith
1234 Main St
CHICAGO IL 45678

Use abbreviations, avoid unnecessary punctuation, put the city name in all caps, and put the ZIP code right after the city and state.

You can read more about it here: UPSP - Addressing Tips & Tools

When Mark and I were still carrying on a long-distance relationship, neither one of us was aware of the "proper" way to address mail to each other. Mark finally explained to me that addressing British mail is different from the American style. So now when I send things to his family in England, I write it like so:

John Smith
1234 Main Street
BISHOP'S STORTFORD
HERTS
AB12 3CD
UNITED KINGDOM

All the USPS needs to be concerned with is the "United Kingdom" part -- once it's over there, Royal Mail will figure out what to do.

I always write out "United Kingdom" and never "UK" or "England" (although I could probably write "England" and it would get there ok).

~ Jenney
I always print in capitals the name and address and always write England and not United Kingdom.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:09 pm
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are sending mail to Europe you need to put the country you are sending to (UK, Spain, Whatever) and then EUROPE. I've always done that and never had any problems with any of my packages.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:12 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
You don't say if you were posting it to northern Ireland or Ireland. http://www.ibiblio.org/gaelic/Eire/7.2.html to answer your question. (I think!)
Eire is the Republic not Northern Ireland
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:14 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marjeta
If you are sending mail to Europe you need to put the country you are sending to (UK, Spain, Whatever) and then EUROPE. I've always done that and never had any problems with any of my packages.
I got asked was England in europe?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:14 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Eire is the Republic not Northern Ireland
I know that's why I posted the link!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:15 pm
Not dead yet

I know that's why I posted the link!
Sorry I didn't know anyone was confused
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marjeta
I have never put Europe in the address and have never had any problems.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:20 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't know anyone was confused
sorry, must have misread your original post. You were obviously making 2 different statements I thought it was one question!
"I posted a letter to Eire which they crossed out and put Ireland Other than that they have been excellent.

Isn't it the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?"
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:23 pm
Not dead yet

sorry, must have misread your original post. You were obviously making 2 different statements I thought it was one question!
"I posted a letter to Eire which they crossed out and put Ireland Other than that they have been excellent.

Isn't it the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?"
Don't worry a state of confusion is normal for me and those I know, welcome to my inner circle
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:25 pm

Don't worry a state of confusion is normal for me and those I know, welcome to my inner circle
I am always confused so I'll glady join your inner ciricle
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:55 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

"I posted a letter to Eire which they crossed out and put Ireland Other than that they have been excellent. "
It's amazing the difference one of those little dots can make, isn't it?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:27 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we first came to live here the the only ID we had were our passports. We had already opened a bank account so if we wanted to pay by cheque we showed our passports as ID. In one store the suppervisor said to the assistant 'UK? I think is a passport from Okllahoma'.
I was buying beer in Alabama once back in 2002. Showed my passport as ID and the guy behind the counter called his entire staff over to have a look as none of them had seen a passport before and they wanted to know what one looked like
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing I ever got delieved in England was a postcard from a friend who forgot my address. He sent it to

Duncan Roberts
X Road
The house at the bottom of the road with the rockery in front
Cheltenham
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:28 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Now thats funny. You had better stick to "England" or whichever next time.
Reg. Frank R.

I always put Great Britain but stuff still fails to arrive sometimes, either that or it takes months (or never arrives at all! )! I questioned my Mum about this and she said that there had been a big scam going on within the Royal mail and that employees had been caught stealing mail, they found tons of it stashed in a few homes they raided apparently! I'm sure some stuff that I sent was in those houses you know!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:29 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
You are lucky it didn't end up in UKraine

The last thing I sent went via Mexico! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.