Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USCIS e-filing: WARNING

USCIS e-filing: WARNING

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default USCIS e-filing: WARNING

Just want to warn anyone considering e-filing any immigration documents: DO NOT! I e-filed an I-131 (AP) 3 days ago, they took my money immediately but didn't provide me with a confirmation notice. After talking to the customer un-help line who told me essentially tough...it was my fault for not having a computer good enough to use their site, and someone will write to me within 30 days to tell me what is going on....WTF????

Needless to say, I have to take the day off tomorrow and go to my local BCIS/USCIS/whatever-they-call-themselves-today office to try and sort this mess out.

You have been warned. Also, they told me this happens "all the time"....and this shite for a mere $165. Makes me sick..... :scared:
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 11:39 pm
Franklin

Default Re: USCIS e-filing: WARNING

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Just want to warn anyone considering e-filing any immigration documents: DO NOT! I e-filed an I-131 (AP) 3 days ago, they took my money immediately but didn't provide me with a confirmation notice. After talking to the customer un-help line who told me essentially tough...it was my fault for not having a computer good enough to use their site, and someone will write to me within 30 days to tell me what is going on....WTF????

Needless to say, I have to take the day off tomorrow and go to my local BCIS/USCIS/whatever-they-call-themselves-today office to try and sort this mess out.

You have been warned. Also, they told me this happens "all the time"....and this shite for a mere $165. Makes me sick..... :scared:
Hmmmmm, not a pleasant experience.

I only filed hard-copies, might sound old fashioned but at least it worked out fine and I got a Green Card, US citizenship and a Green Card for an immediate relative. I used Express Mail (not FedeX), but that "was me"; someone else might do it differently and maybe I did it wrong but got Clint Eastwood lucky.

But I always made sure I was sending the right amount (writing the right amount on the check or the right amount of money order) or the nice guys will just send your package, documents and all straight back. But at least you get your check/money order back. I preferred money orders to avoid dead time while the authorities wait for the check to clear. But like I said, fees change. So check the current fees online, and check them regularly. First thing in the morning, after your first cuppa of the day, before your evening meal and finally before you go to bed ... well not quite! But you get my drift.

When things go wrong they can go badly wrong. I rather avoid what I call "silly mistakes" and I count electronic filing in that category - systems overload, computers foul up, your pointer can freeze, networks go down etc.

I can file patent applications electronically but choose not to, I file hard copies and get a stamped copy of everything I file, I even file them by hand at the Customer Window, I dont' even trust the postal system, not even Federal Express Mail. There are special reasons for this, but frankly I rather use a delivery system that I know is as close to 100% safe as water is to ice.

Have a good 'un. Stay safe, wrap up for winter. We are in for a long one.

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Hmmmmm, not a pleasant experience.

I only filed hard-copies, might sound old fashioned but at least it worked out fine and I got a Green Card, US citizenship and a Green Card for an immediate relative. I used Express Mail (not FedeX), but that "was me"; someone else might do it differently and maybe I did it wrong but got Clint Eastwood lucky.

But I always made sure I was sending the right amount (writing the right amount on the check or the right amount of money order) or the nice guys will just send your package, documents and all straight back. But at least you get your check/money order back. I preferred money orders to avoid dead time while the authorities wait for the check to clear. But like I said, fees change. So check the current fees online, and check them regularly. First thing in the morning, after your first cuppa of the day, before your evening meal and finally before you go to bed ... well not quite! But you get my drift.

When things go wrong they can go badly wrong. I rather avoid what I call "silly mistakes" and I count electronic filing in that category - systems overload, computers foul up, your pointer can freeze, networks go down etc.

I can file patent applications electronically but choose not to, I file hard copies and get a stamped copy of everything I file, I even file them by hand at the Customer Window, I dont' even trust the postal system, not even Federal Express Mail. There are special reasons for this, but frankly I rather use a delivery system that I know is as close to 100% safe as water is to ice.

Have a good 'un. Stay safe, wrap up for winter. We are in for a long one.
Not here, it was almost 75 today!
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:40 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Not here, it was almost 75 today!
Metaphorically speaking … red republican winter.