Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC travelling to Europe - visa question

USC travelling to Europe - visa question

Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:08 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC travelling to Europe - visa question

Hi Everyone, I have a USC friend who wants to go and live in France for 6 months. She's leaving in less than a month.
On questioning her on her visa, she says she doesn't have one, but realizes that she can only stay in France for 3 months, then needs to be elsewhere outside of the European union for a month before she can go back to France for another 3 months...

She seems to think she could go to the UK for that time........

I'm not sure what the rules are - do any of you know?

If she needs to get out of the EU, I think she could also go to the Canary Islands too.

Any info you could give would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC travelling to Europe - visa question

Maybe best asking on UKYankee forum.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she needs to leave the EU after 3 months, only the Schengen area (of which France is a part). The UK is not part of Schengen, so her plan may just work.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:33 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Schengen has a 90-out-of-180-days rule. Given that, a trip to the UK or anywhere else isn't going to reset the clock back to zero.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html

In practice, overstaying may not be a big deal. If she behaves herself and avoids working illegally, then it may not matter.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:45 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, very helpful!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:26 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Schengen has a 90-out-of-180-days rule. Given that, a trip to the UK or anywhere else isn't going to reset the clock back to zero.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html

In practice, overstaying may not be a big deal. If she behaves herself and avoids working illegally, then it may not matter.
Why would a trip to the UK for 90 days or so (as per the OP's original plan), not reset the 90 day clock within the Schengen Area?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Why would a trip to the UK for 90 days or so (as per the OP's original plan), not reset the 90 day clock within the Schengen Area?
The original plan says to go to the UK for a month, not 90 days..
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The original plan says to go to the UK for a month, not 90 days..
I'm curious to know where this idea came from. There's nothing in the rules that suggests that being away for a month is going to help.

I do hope that the OP's friend is flying into the UK, and not into Schengen. If she lands in France, then someone may notice that her return date makes her a candidate for an overstay.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:39 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I'm curious to know where this idea came from. There's nothing in the rules that suggests that being away for a month is going to help.

I do hope that the OP's friend is flying into the UK, and not into Schengen. If she lands in France, then someone may notice that her return date makes her a candidate for an overstay.
I did speak to her about visa's and if she had it pinned down month ago, and the subject came up again at the weekend.

The only thing I know is that she does have a return ticket, because it was cheaper than a one way, and I have no idea when that return is scheduled for - a month / a week ????

Personally, I think it's a case of "it's only little ole me, I'm sure that they're not that particular about me staying a bit longer". I forwarded her the link provided in this thread and also a link which said that it's virtually impossible to change status once inside France.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:12 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I did speak to her about visa's and if she had it pinned down month ago, and the subject came up again at the weekend.

The only thing I know is that she does have a return ticket, because it was cheaper than a one way, and I have no idea when that return is scheduled for - a month / a week ????

Personally, I think it's a case of "it's only little ole me, I'm sure that they're not that particular about me staying a bit longer". I forwarded her the link provided in this thread and also a link which said that it's virtually impossible to change status once inside France.
There's no telling some people though. I've been trying to explain to a friend's daughter who is a USC, living in Europe with her European husband and daughter, that they can't just up sticks and move to the US without the appropriate visas. So far, it's fallen on deaf ears. Some people appear to think that, because they don't agree with the rules, the rules won't apply to them.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:34 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Some people appear to think that, because they don't agree with the rules, the rules won't apply to them.
I don't know whether it's a matter of not agreeing, so much as it is a matter of not knowing. It seems that the OP's friend hasn't done any research at all and is just assuming that there are no potential issues.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:42 pm
Are we there yet?

Perhaps it is that... I sort of see it as "Well I'm not a terrorist, and becasue I'm a decent person, they wont really mind if I stay a bit longer" - What people don't realize is that immigration isn't about individuals, and if you break the rules, the consequences could impact the rest if your life.

This friend LOVES France. If she doesn't get this done properly, she may be banned from visiting for 10 years....
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:43 pm
Bloody Yank

Personally, I think it's a case of "it's only little ole me, I'm sure that they're not that particular about me staying a bit longer".
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that she doesn't have much international travel experience.

Border control officials are paid to keep people out. If she sends up too many red flags, then she increases the risk of getting more scrutiny.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:47 pm
Bloody Yank

Perhaps it is that... I sort of see it as "Well I'm not a terrorist, and becasue I'm a decent person, they wont really mind if I stay a bit longer" - What people don't realize is that immigration isn't about individuals, and if you break the rules, the consequences could impact the rest if your life.

This friend LOVES France. If she doesn't get this done properly, she may be banned from visiting for 10 years....
"I really like France, therefore France must really like me!"
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: USC travelling to Europe - visa question

TBH I've seen Hollywood movies eg. 'Under the Tuscan Sun' where the actress Diane Lane plays an American woman who just happens to go on a short holiday in Italy, falls in love with a 'fixer-upper' property in Tuscany, buys it and proceeds to renovate it. No mention of visas whatsoever......

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/under_the_tuscan_sun/

Maybe your friend should consider spending 3 months in France then 3 months in Quebec, Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.