Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

!!USA TOUR!!

!!USA TOUR!!

Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

bigal24 will become famous soon enough
Default !!USA TOUR!!

Hi there all I am asking you all for a bit of info and advice, good or bad!!
I am taking a break from work and know you are able to visit to usa for up to 90 days on the visa waiver, I am looking to go for around 8 weeks and would like to visit every state - something I have always thought of doing! I would like to buy a car for around $2000 to do it in - is this possible and sell it before I return to the UK? What would be the insurance be like? Is it possible to do? Any ideas of what to do in the states I visit? Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: !!USA TOUR!!

How much would it cost to rent a car for that long?

$2000 might get you a just OK car and you might get a small return on it but keep in mind with a rental you should be covered if it breaks down etc and you get to hand it back with out the hassle, of course this might cost a whole lot more, I don't know but I would for sure check it out.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:05 pm
Austin TX

astor is an unknown quantity at this point

8 weeks for 48 states? 6 states per week..less than 1 day per state...
I drive twice Canada to Mexico and back..different routes..I did it average 2 state per day just stopping to sleep-no sightseeing or very little.
I suggest take a close look the map of US and plan a directional route-east to west/north to south or curve shape etc. You may skip some states or not go even near but you will enjoy more.I ma sure you do not want to make a race or for record breaking trip..
google maps are great for planning this type of adventure!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
How much would it cost to rent a car for that long?

$2000 might get you a just OK car and you might get a small return on it but keep in mind with a rental you should be covered if it breaks down etc and you get to hand it back with out the hassle, of course this might cost a whole lot more, I don't know but I would for sure check it out.
I did roughly 11 weeks split between Canada and the US back in 2002. None of the major rental agencies would touch this (most stating that they would only rent for 30 days max) and those that would were cost-prohibitive.

In the end I found a smaller, local agency (admittedly this was in Vancouver) who rented me a (almost brand new) Nissan Sentra for the equivalent of about sixteen quid a day (including insurance).

Yes, time (and probably costs) have moved on, but the lesson here is look for smaller outfits (we basically grabbed the Yellow Pages and a phone) as the big boys can be a trifle inflexible.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigal24
would like to visit every state - something I have always thought of doing!
Sort of depends when you're planning on coming over too. Winter in the Northern states isn't a lot of fun, and you'll be baked alive in Texas, Louisiana, etc during the Summer.

I would select a few must-see sites/states. Stephen Fry devoted as little as 2-mins of coverage to certain states during his trip doing exactly the same thing... that should be a hint!

BTW, good luck driving to Hawaii
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother on just one trip, pick a region of the country and do that and perhaps another region another time or you'll spend the whole time getting cauliflower arse sitting in the car all day and night getting to the places.

Also, rent a car or look at places that need a car delivered because it's a waste of time buying as you won't be able to register the car and get it inspected not being resident of any US State and on top of that, insurance would be horrendous and you've got all the incidentals like tax on the car, registration tax, cost of plate, inspection and any other state/county/town taxes.

Might be worth travelling by train to get to regions your interested in and rent locally to tour those areas?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't bother on just one trip, pick a region of the country and do that and perhaps another region another time or you'll spend the whole time getting cauliflower arse sitting in the car all day and night getting to the places.

Also, rent a car or look at places that need a car delivered because it's a waste of time buying as you won't be able to register the car and get it inspected not being resident of any US State and on top of that, insurance would be horrendous and you've got all the incidentals like tax on the car, registration tax, cost of plate, inspection and any other state/county/town taxes.

Might be worth travelling by train to get to regions your interested in and rent locally to tour those areas?
Cauliflower arse...I love it!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there all I am asking you all for a bit of info and advice, good or bad!!
I am taking a break from work and know you are able to visit to usa for up to 90 days on the visa waiver, I am looking to go for around 8 weeks and would like to visit every state - something I have always thought of doing! I would like to buy a car for around $2000 to do it in - is this possible and sell it before I return to the UK? What would be the insurance be like? Is it possible to do? Any ideas of what to do in the states I visit? Thanks for your help!!!!!
All 48 states in 56 days? I suppose it's possible, in theory, but I don't know why anybody would do that. You won't be doing anything but driving and sleeping. You do realize how vast the USA is, don't you?

Buying a car is easy, all you need is money. The hard part will be getting it registered, titled, plated, insured. Very difficult as a tourist.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by astor
8 weeks for 48 states? 6 states per week..less than 1 day per state...
Piece of cake:

http://www.timbotrip.com/trip-schedule/

That guy actually inspired me to take to the road shortly after he did, with a much humbler schedule and route, but on the other hand, I wound up getting married because of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22748375@N08/

He did it with a 84 Scirocco, I did it with a 87

Maybe you'll get some ideas out of it.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:19 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas of what to do in the states I visit? Thanks for your help!!!!!

Al.

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, and have been all over the country.

If I were you, I'd stay west of the Mississippi. As far as I am concerned, driving in the majority of the East of the USA you may as well drive around Shropshire.......

take in a few cities, but don't make the cities the focus of your drives.

I'd spend a lot of time in Cali, Montana, Utah, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado.........
mainly just because the scenery is so far removed from what you'd be used to in the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Cauliflower arse...I love it!!
indeed...well I can't be the only one with an arse that looks like cauliflower after driving more than 6 hours
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

beachblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow I think all you will have time to remember is all the different gas(petrol) stations you visit. That trip is something you should probably take a good year planning. It;s going to be a hell of an 8 week journey. I agree with previous posters split it in to three or four visits.

Good Luck
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Al.

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, and have been all over the country.

If I were you, I'd stay west of the Mississippi. As far as I am concerned, driving in the majority of the East of the USA you may as well drive around Shropshire.......

take in a few cities, but don't make the cities the focus of your drives.

I'd spend a lot of time in Cali, Montana, Utah, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado.........
mainly just because the scenery is so far removed from what you'd be used to in the UK.

I endorse this message.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

bigal24 will become famous soon enough

HI ALL THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION SO FAR! I WOULD BE ABLE TO INCREASE THE LENGTH OF MY TRIP TO 11 WEEKS INSTEAD OF THE 8. I JUST DONT WANT TO PUSH IT TOO MUCH TO THE MAXIMUM VISA STAY THATS ALL!
THANKS AGAIN I HAVE A FEW IDEAS.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Mate,

In all honesty I think you would have a much better time if you focused on a specific region.

This is my suggestion:

EPIC SHIT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.