usa taxes

Old May 14th 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Hillsforest. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default usa taxes

Hi,

Im currently contracting to a usa company during the h1b visa application (the company that will be my employer in usa all being well with the visa). being paid into uk account.

Once I make the move in October will the IRS be interested in my UK income up to the point I move or is that nothing to do with IRS?

thanks.

Last edited by Hillsforest.; May 14th 2012 at 8:22 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: usa taxes

Originally Posted by Hillsforest.
Once I make the move in October will the IRS be interested in my UK income up to the point I move or is that nothing to do with IRS?
The US will tax you on your worldwide income for the entire year (Jan-Dec). However, if you have already paid taxes on the money deposited in the UK, the US/UK tax treaty will usually see to it that you avoid double taxation. That said, you must still declare the UK income for the entire tax year.

Ian
Old May 14th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,

So I declare my taxes in the uk properly then file a tax return in usa at correct time detailing any money earned in uk. Then the tax treaty should mean i am not re-taxed on the uk income, and just pay normal taxes in usa for the couple of months i will have been there?

The company are paying for my tax advice for the first year, any pointers on a good person to use? I'll be in Atlanta area. My situation should be fairly easy compared to some.

No property owned here, no investments etc other than pension. No uk income once ive moved.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillsforest.
Then the tax treaty should mean i am not re-taxed on the uk income, and just pay normal taxes in usa for the couple of months i will have been there?
Yes. In a nutshell, you include your UK income at the beginning of the US tax return, and subtract it out later as having already been taxed.

The company are paying for my tax advice for the first year, any pointers on a good person to use?
Indeed... Pete Newton.

Ian
Old May 14th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. In a nutshell, you include your UK income at the beginning of the US tax return, and subtract it out later as having already been taxed.

Indeed... Pete Newton.

Ian
Thanks mate i'll give him a shout when my visa is approved
Old May 14th 2012, 11:30 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The US will tax you on your worldwide income for the entire year (Jan-Dec). However, if you have already paid taxes on the money deposited in the UK, the US/UK tax treaty will usually see to it that you avoid double taxation. That said, you must still declare the UK income for the entire tax year.

Ian
I don't agree with this. The IRS will tax you on your US source income, but will only tax you on your worldwide income from the date that you become US resident. The UK will tax you on your worldwide income until you become US resident when HMRC will only tax your UK source income.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I don't agree with this. The IRS will tax you on your US source income, but will only tax you on your worldwide income from the date that you become US resident. The UK will tax you on your worldwide income until you become US resident when HMRC will only tax your UK source income.
But, as you know, it is more complicated than that because it depends on whether the OP will be considered by the IRS to be resident or non-resident (for tax purposes) for the US tax year in question. While it is likely that if the OP moves in October 2012 they will be considered non-resident for US tax purposes it still depends on other factors such has how much time they have spent in the US over the last 3 years.

The first year is always complicated which is why the OP should take advantage of his new employer's offer to pay for professional tax advice.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
It depends on whether he choses to be taxed as a resident or non resident alien for the first year (since he won't meet the substantial physical presence test, he can chose either). His taxes should be calculated both ways to determine the best status for tax purposes since a resident has more deductions.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on Michael's last post.

If you come to the US early in the year then you should figure on having your UK income taxed by the US (and you'll get the credit for it), but if you're coming late in the year you'll have to decide what's best for you financially, either you can chose to be taxed on worldwide income all year (and get the associated credits and (usually better) tax rates that are then available to you if you file that way), or you can chose to be taxed on US income before you arrive, and worldwide income after you arrive (which means there are credits and tax rates no longer available to you, but might work out the best overall).

You really have to wait and see, depending in your income over the year and when you arrive. Sorry, the answer to most of these type of questions are "it depends."
Old May 14th 2012, 8:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
Ditto on Michael's last post.

If you come to the US early in the year then you should figure on having your UK income taxed by the US (and you'll get the credit for it), but if you're coming late in the year you'll have to decide what's best for you financially, either you can chose to be taxed on worldwide income all year (and get the associated credits and (usually better) tax rates that are then available to you if you file that way), or you can chose to be taxed on US income before you arrive, and worldwide income after you arrive (which means there are credits and tax rates no longer available to you, but might work out the best overall).

You really have to wait and see, depending in your income over the year and when you arrive. Sorry, the answer to most of these type of questions are "it depends."
IMHO I'd just keep things as simple as possible, that's what I did in my first year. I met the "substantial presence test" and so filed as a US resident, but I did not include any UK income that I received before moving to the US.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

That would be simple but wrong, Nun! You are taxed on all your worldwide income all year, if you file as resident all year. Luckily for you the IRS don't know any person's circumstances, so unless you get audited, things like this often slip by.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
IMHO I'd just keep things as simple as possible, that's what I did in my first year. I met the "substantial presence test" and so filed as a US resident, but I did not include any UK income that I received before moving to the US.
If you filed as a resident, then you must claim worldwide income for that year. Just hope the IRS is not looking at this site.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:29 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Isn't there another way: file as dual status. That's what I did (it was a long time ago, but I see the IRS still publishes rules for dual status returns so I guess it's still valid). This means you are only resident for tax purposes from the moment you arrive in the USA.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Isn't there another way: file as dual status. That's what I did (it was a long time ago, but I see the IRS still publishes rules for dual status returns so I guess it's still valid). This means you are only resident for tax purposes from the moment you arrive in the USA.
Apparently you correct for the first year.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=96433,00.html
Old May 15th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dual status is the same as we have described, you are non-resident before you arrive and resident after you arrive. You have to make a choice (i.e. make a short statement with your return) to choose this option, but it is sometimes financially beneficial over filing resident (and including worldwide income) for the entire year.

(And just noticed I shouldn't have said "Ditto on Michael's post" above, I didn't read it carefully enough.)

To clarify, your options are:
a) file as resident all year, and be taxed on worldwide income all year
b) choose to be treated as a non-resident before you arrive (only US income) and a resident (worldwide income) after you arrive (dual-status)

Last edited by Jscl; May 15th 2012 at 12:40 am. Reason: added clarification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.