Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

usa similar to oz?

usa similar to oz?

Old May 27th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: usa similar to oz?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Decentralization and greater allocation of authority to states, provinces, etc. would be hallmarks of confederation. Ugacrew has the right definition; what you describe as "federalism" would be described here as "confederation."

Federalism, in the context of US political history, suggests power being stripped away from the states and allocated to the federal level. The US began as a confederation, but scrapped it for a stricter form of federalism because the decentralization model was unsuccessful. The move to federalism delegated more power to the top tier, taking some of it away from the states.

Canada is a confederation, as is Switzerland. Both of these systems are considered to be variants of federalism, but in terms of describing a system in which districts cede sovereignty to a national government, the US system is more federalist than are the others.
Having lived in Canada I can say that their provinces have more autonomy than Australia's states and perhaps even more than European Union countries. It always makes me smile when I hear the Quebec sovereignists rattling on about how they are hampered by Ottawa. They need a reality check.

It sounds like US states have a level of autonomy similar to that of Australian states. However, there are 50 of them which must make life interesting.

The Queen is completely irrelevant to Australia's political system.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:21 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang

The Queen is completely irrelevant to Australia's political system.
Oh really? I remember listening to 774 Melbourne where there was a discussion about the first female holding the position of Governor-General. I remember that she was quite a controversial person at that. Yet somehow she assumed the role. Also, the last time I checked Australia was not a republic but a commonwealth of the UK. Heck, your Parliament is headed by the Queen of England. So Australian government still has ties to the UK as loose and as noninfluential as it may be.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:44 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Oh really? I remember listening to 774 Melbourne where there was a discussion about the first female holding the position of Governor-General. I remember that she was quite a controversial person at that. Yet somehow she assumed the role. Also, the last time I checked Australia was not a republic but a commonwealth of the UK. Heck, your Parliament is headed by the Queen of England. So Australian government still has ties to the UK as loose and as noninfluential as it may be.
In theory, the monarchy is powerful, with the prime minister sitting at its pleasure and with laws passing through it.

But in practice, Parliament makes law, the monarch is largely seen as a figurehead, and the Queen largely stays on the sidelines. The monarchy doesn't hold much power and doesn't involve itself in daily affairs. They do get to live in big homes, make their share of TV appearances, and live on a glamorous version of the dole.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:58 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In theory, the monarchy is powerful, with the prime minister sitting at its pleasure and with laws passing through it.

But in practice, Parliament makes law, the monarch is largely seen as a figurehead, and the Queen largely stays on the sidelines. The monarchy doesn't hold much power and doesn't involve itself in daily affairs. They do get to live in big homes, make their share of TV appearances, and live on a glamorous version of the dole.
Oh I know. I'm acknowledging the tie that exists on more than one level that can't be refuted. That's all. I'm not saying that any decree the Queen makes goes. That would be silly.