Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA The Meli Melo

USA The Meli Melo

Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice
Default USA The Meli Melo

Hello there,

I'm so thankful for the quality of this forum and the gems of advice to be found as well as the fact that it makes it possible for me to relate to other British Expats.

Actually, I haven't posted for a while so here goes... any advice/responses/debate - more than welcome!

I was thumbing through/scrolling down the replies and noticed some present and past Oregon dwellers...

I moved to Portland, OR in March 03 (UKC) and am now thinking of leaving - not a lot of jobs here (like many cities at the moment I'm sure)/quite a small City/high property taxes, over liberal government, highest unemployment in the USA/lots of homeless - in fact I'm sure there are more homeless people in Portland per square inch than in London!

You may not know it but Portland and the surrounding towns where the majority of Oregon's jobs lie also has rather expensive housing ($190k gets you something you may want to live in and it's on the small side) as well as the fact that it rains a heck of a lot as well - and I studied in Manchester for four years!!

On the plus side, Portland is a very attractive, leafy place with beauty in abundance in the form of nearby mountains, gorges, high desert...The people are very friendly BUT:

As I am contemplating moving, can you tell me what other States I might look into? Colorado seems interesting - what is it like in terms of beauty, affordability, climate, traffic congestion, employability, people?

California would be great too but I fear it is far too expensive to buy a house and the traffic worse than London...

Atlanta anyone?

Texas? Would a Brit fit? Arizona??

Also, any other suggestions as to places to move to would be of help.

I worked as an IT Executive Search Consultant in London and also here in Portland but the market stinks as we all know so I'm open to other opportunities...

I've also lived in Montpellier, S.France and loved the Mediterranean way of life. I've tried Connecticut/New York when I first got here as a K1'er in Nov 02 but wasn't impressed with the state of the roads/brash accents and East Coast aggression.

I hear on this group that Florida gets very humid and the pay/job scenario is not one to write home about. What about other suggestions?

I hope my frank descriptions have been digested in the way they were light-heartedly intended!

Marguerite
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA The Meli Melo

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
Hello there,

<<snip>>

On the plus side, Portland is a very attractive, leafy place with beauty in abundance in the form of nearby mountains, gorges, high desert...The people are very friendly BUT:

As I am contemplating moving, can you tell me what other States I might look into? Colorado seems interesting - what is it like in terms of beauty, affordability, climate, traffic congestion, employability, people?

California would be great too but I fear it is far too expensive to buy a house and the traffic worse than London...

Atlanta anyone?

Texas? Would a Brit fit? Arizona??

Also, any other suggestions as to places to move to would be of help.

I worked as an IT Executive Search Consultant in London and also here in Portland but the market stinks as we all know so I'm open to other opportunities...

I've also lived in Montpellier, S.France and loved the Mediterranean way of life. I've tried Connecticut/New York when I first got here as a K1'er in Nov 02 but wasn't impressed with the state of the roads/brash accents and East Coast aggression.

I hear on this group that Florida gets very humid and the pay/job scenario is not one to write home about. What about other suggestions?

I hope my frank descriptions have been digested in the way they were light-heartedly intended!

Marguerite
In the current economic climate, the choices about where to move are somewhat limited.

You've got to identify your priorities and follow them through, I think.

These are:
move to where you can get a job BUT
i) it's not an area you might like/have considered
ii) cost of living may be higher than before
iii) you may be earning less than you'd anticipated

On the other hand, if you continue to hold for a job that fits your exact experience/industry you could be waiting a very long time, especially if you have little/no employment history in the US.

I fell into the latter category myself when I first moved to the US (middle of 2002). I have a very strong work ethic and was so frustrated at not being able to find any vacancies in my field so I eventually took a job unrelated to my work history/experience.

It's getting your foot in the door into the American workplace that's all important.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:42 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I have family in Atlanta.
Yes there is work there, but house prices are really high.
You are now having to move further and further out to find a decently priced home.
But isn't this the same everywhere.

Florida can be humid, here in Tallahassee the summers are a killer and there was me thinking Singapore was humid.
This place beats it hands down, but the rest of the year is great.
Wages are low, but the cost of living / housing is too.
So yes we only just scrape 100k between us but it'sbetter than we would have ever done in the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice

Thanks so much for your thoughts and advice! Anymore welcome...

Does anyone live in Maine?

I visited Kennebunkport (Bush holiday spot) and Boothbay Harbour in Autumn 01 and LOVED it - not sure about the job front though and I bet the Winters can get a bit nippy.

Thankfully Vermont's skiing and Ben and Jerry's ice-cream are Winter warmers - as is the proximity of georgeous Québec and its French people.

So, who knows Maine then?

M
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it's back to France for you. Ha! Just Joking. Anyway, you might look into Texas as I have friends there who seem to like it quite a bit. I can tell you that the cost of living in Texas probably isn't as high as in Portland. The summers can be hot, but the winters are quite mild in comparison with the northern states. Not sure about the job market though, but I doubt it's any worse than Portland.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA The Meli Melo

..... As I am contemplating moving, can you tell me what other States I might look into? ....
Try North Carolina. The winters aren't too harsh, the summers aren't as oppressively hot as Texas, or hot and humid as Florida, and the price of property, and related property taxes, are remarkably modest in most parts of the state.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:01 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Two suggestions for you.

Try this website:
http://www.bestplaces.net
to compare cost of living / climate / crime, etc

Try this website
http://www.findyourspot.com
for a fun quiz to find out where your perfect place to live (in the US)

BTW, I have lived in both NC and CO. It is warmer in NC!

Last edited by ScousePete; Feb 6th 2004 at 4:04 am.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys - I'll let you know where I decide
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - I'll let you know where I decide
Also, try this site for a cost of living comparison:

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/citypick.html