British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USA graduate trainee positions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-graduate-trainee-positions-637815/)

tonrob Oct 27th 2009 12:07 pm

Re: USA graduate trainee positions

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8050008)
So it's pretty obvious to those of us who've lived in both places..........that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8050086)
I now live in California and can honestly say I think you are talking out of your ar*e. I can't be bothered to go into details, as the chances of you actually getting over here unless you get married are pretty slim.

Maybe if you manage it you will realize that you were talking a load of bollox.

Sorry OP - gonna have to side with these two...

Ozzidoc Oct 27th 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8050106)
Sorry OP - gonna have to side with these two...

whataboutmemememememememe?

Bob Oct 27th 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049959)

Thanks to the BE community for your help anyway, and congratulations on managing to leave this dull, rainy ****hole and get to the States - I hope you all appreciate it as much as you should!

It rains more here in Boston than in the UK and it really is much more dreary during the winter.

I'd not bother reading the daily tat or you'll soon realise the US isn't any different.

Shame shit, different pot.

Edit: to add, 50% that's a laugh, that's at the top end of the scale not on your whole salary just a portion of it...see how much of your salary your losing because it goes to medical insurance and then complain.

tonrob Oct 27th 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8050110)
whataboutmemememememememe?

What about youyouyouyouyouyou? :confused:

Ozzidoc Oct 27th 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8050131)
What about youyouyouyouyouyou? :confused:

My post above!! :)

tonrob Oct 27th 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8050104)
Ditto. !!

And I'll touch on one detail - taxes! You (OP) are soooo off the mark!!

Bugger! Missed that one! :ohmy:

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8050135)
My post above!! :)

I'm siding with you too!!!! :)

caleyjag Oct 27th 2009 12:21 pm

There are no neds/chavs here. He's right about that at least.

Ozzidoc Oct 27th 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8050114)
It rains more here in Boston than in the UK and it really is much more dreary during the winter.

I'd not bother reading the daily tat or you'll soon realise the US isn't any different.

Shame shit, different pot.

Edit: to add, 50% that's a laugh, that's at the top end of the scale not on your whole salary just a portion of it...see how much of your salary your losing because it goes to medical insurance and then complain.

Bob - EEK! I wasn't even including the healthcare costs! I was thinking of Fed/state/city income taxes and property taxes.

Ozzidoc Oct 27th 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8050149)
Bugger! Missed that one! :ohmy:

I'm siding with you too!!!! :)

:)

We essentially cross posted :)

mayhemuk Oct 27th 2009 12:42 pm

You don't see what you might identify as a ched/nav here but don't think rude yoof with no respect for other's property don't exist.

A friend lives on a corner lot on the same road as a high school. He stood in his front yard one day and the kids just walked around him as they took a short cut (Saving them maybe 10 yards) across his lawn.
And a sly aside to a straggling kid led to the kid's fast food wrappers ending in the back yard as he went around the corner.

I earn an OK wage but I bust my ass for it. And am fortunate to be attached to my wifes medical plan so we're competently covered but it's still a bit of a wedge each month (especially now nipper is here)
Though I just had a good reveiw with my employer I've never felt so insecure in a job. (At will employment laws)
And for all the lolly I'm earning I get 5 days a year in which I can plan a vacation. Plus a few long weekends for sure!

I think qualify of life is in the head. I wouldn't be here if I wasn;t married to a USC. I think if I was going anywhere I wanted it'd be back home to the UK or maybe New Zealand.

Oh and people are very poor at driving over here in general. There's sloppy driving in the UK for sure but I never felt I was taking my life in my hands so much until I was over here.

dbj1000 Oct 27th 2009 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049997)
I could go on all day about why the USA is infinately better but I'll keep it short. Btw this is only a comparison of California and the UK;

1) The people in every single way. Britain's alcohol addiction is quite frankly disgusting, and this is across the board with bost young/old and rich/poor. At 22 going out and seeing girls and guys getting as drunk as they possibly can do every friday and saturday and having no self respect or regard for others around them is embarassing. But equally hearing my old boss brag about how much wine they have in their desk drawers is just as sad

2) The anger of the british people in every walk of life. Football (soccer) is the most perfect example of this. Every game needs police divides because people from different towns can't possibly sit at sport events together without fighting. Suppose its that small island identity but there are so many chavs here now I can't wait to leave. Football in america has a much lighter more enjoyable atmosphere that eminates from the people there just being more content with life than here.

3) The weather is atrocious. Summer has become a non event and the autumn and winter is enough to make you suicidal. How I miss the evening strolls down californias beaches...

4) The ability to work hard and not give up over 50% of this away in tax, knowing that your paying for social security of lazy chavs popping out babies and illegal immigrants.

5) How much britain lives in the past and still think its important when its really not.

6) The incompetancies in customer services of UK companies is now a joke compared to the US.

I could continue for hours but its getting late. I live with an american girl over here to do university and she HATES it here. She honestly didnt realise how far the american stereotype of america is nothing like the relaity and I'm inclined to agree. Face it - Britain gets worse and worse each year and I can't wait to leave. The US may not be perfect but for the most part it is light years ahead of the UK for quality of life

What hilarious bollocks!

I'm so glad you got in the jab against immigrants though. They're all a bunch of bastards, those damn immigrants!

dbj1000 Oct 27th 2009 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 8050152)
There are no neds/chavs here. He's right about that at least.

Until you brought down the whole tone of California with that hoodie you're wearing!

elfman Oct 27th 2009 1:20 pm

I could go on all day......

...and you'd still be talking complete bollocks

caleyjag Oct 27th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 8050290)
Until you brought down the whole tone of California with that hoodie you're wearing!

It's a Berkeley hoodie. Doesn't count. The hoodie was in California before I was.

However you can rest assured that I am doing my best to lower the tone here at every possible opportunity.

It's working.

Mummy in the foothills Oct 27th 2009 1:41 pm

I could go on all day about why the USA is infinately better but I'll keep it short. Btw this is only a comparison of California and the UK;

1) The people in every single way. Britain's alcohol addiction is quite frankly disgusting, and this is across the board with bost young/old and rich/poor. At 22 going out and seeing girls and guys getting as drunk as they possibly can do every friday and saturday and having no self respect or regard for others around them is embarassing. But equally hearing my old boss brag about how much wine they have in their desk drawers is just as sad

2) The anger of the british people in every walk of life. Football (soccer) is the most perfect example of this. Every game needs police divides because people from different towns can't possibly sit at sport events together without fighting. Suppose its that small island identity but there are so many chavs here now I can't wait to leave. Football in america has a much lighter more enjoyable atmosphere that eminates from the people there just being more content with life than here.

3) The weather is atrocious. Summer has become a non event and the autumn and winter is enough to make you suicidal. How I miss the evening strolls down californias beaches...

4) The ability to work hard and not give up over 50% of this away in tax, knowing that your paying for social security of lazy chavs popping out babies and illegal immigrants.

5) How much britain lives in the past and still think its important when its really not.

6) The incompetancies in customer services of UK companies is now a joke compared to the US.

I could continue for hours but its getting late. I live with an american girl over here to do university and she HATES it here. She honestly didnt realise how far the american stereotype of america is nothing like the relaity and I'm inclined to agree. Face it - Britain gets worse and worse each year and I can't wait to leave. The US may not be perfect but for the most part it is light years ahead of the UK for quality of life

:rofl: What a load.