British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USA graduate trainee positions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-graduate-trainee-positions-637815/)

justwinbaby Oct 27th 2009 9:23 pm

USA graduate trainee positions

Does anyone know if its possible to get any type of visa if you are accepted into a graduate position with a US company? I've read the article but there's no specific mention of this.

Also it would be interesting to hear the route taken by the British expats currently living in the US - how and under what visa you were able to qualify and the time frame involved.

Thanks,

Rob :)

ian-mstm Oct 27th 2009 9:33 pm

Re: USA graduate trainee positions

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049619)
Does anyone know if its possible to get any type of visa if you are accepted into a graduate position with a US company?

I'm trying to get my head around the concept of a "graduate position" with a US company. Can you clarify what you mean, please? Are you talking about you having a graduate degree and working for a US company? Or are you talking about working for a US company in the capacity as a supervisor?

Ian

md95065 Oct 27th 2009 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049619)
Does anyone know if its possible to get any type of visa if you are accepted into a graduate position with a US company? I've read the article but there's no specific mention of this.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "a graduate position" ...

Assuming that you just mean "a job for which a university degree is one of the minimum requirements" then it is just the same as for any other job - if you and the job position qualify for an H1 visa then the employer can apply for one for you.

justwinbaby Oct 27th 2009 9:50 pm

Sorry, I thought that was the standard terminology. So far as I understand it means careers where they look to take freshly graduated students and there's a defined career training path for them within the company. I've attached an example that I've applied for which might explain better what I mean.

http://www.curriebrown.com/standard.php?page=graduates

Also, I'd be really grateful to hear the stories around how you all managed to get visas/citizenship for the US, as I'm sure for those on here that are looking to do this it would be good to see how it has been done before and apply this to our own situations.

Thanks for your replies

Rob

mayhemuk Oct 27th 2009 10:01 pm

Graduate schemes in UK companies always used to put these creme de la creme employees on fast track paths to promotion and management.
There was one at IBM(UK) Ltd when I worked there but have no idea whether it was replicated in IBM worldwide.

So what I think is happening here is the OP has secured employment with 'Coporation'(UK) Ltd and wants to know if that enables access to any Visas because of this.

I would say not automatically. It might enable him to reach a status within the company quicker to apply for an overseas position and sponsorship from the Corp. in obtaining a Visa but ultimately the Visa is issued by US Govt not the Company so usual barriers apply.

penguinsix Oct 27th 2009 10:15 pm

"Graduate Schemes" are not very common in the US with major companies, but they do have things such as internships and work co-ops, and for some entities there are things like fellowships for mid-career individuals to get experience in a slightly different field with the training and whatnot.

A common route to a US visa is to get in with a graduate scheme of a major multi-national in the UK and then prove yourself after a few years and be transferred to the US office (much in the same way as major US corporations will transfer promising individuals to their foreign office to get some leadership experience). You should look at the visas for intracompany transfer.

We had a poll awhile back on 'how did you get here'. About 50% were family-based visa, predominantly marriage to an American. The other half were work-based, and it was mainly intracompany transfers, with H1B (technical skills) and E visa (investors) making up the remainder.

Bob Oct 27th 2009 10:26 pm

get married....or work at a place for a while that can transfer you are the best routes.

Have a read of the wiki as it'll go over the most common routes....you might want to look at a J1 for an internship if you fancy coming over for a short while and have recently graduated.

justwinbaby Oct 27th 2009 10:30 pm

Ok, thanks for your advice. It was really a graduate scheme to start in the US but I didn't want to go through all the interview process if ultimately it would end with me not being granted a visa even though I had an employment offer.

It's interesting to hear how you all got there, so infuriating how difficult it is but guess its the same for everyone. Worst part is my girlfriends american and so marriage would be the easy easy option but I know she wouldn't consider this for at least another 8-10 years!

C'est la vie:unsure:

dbj1000 Oct 27th 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049879)
Ok, thanks for your advice. It was really a graduate scheme to start in the US but I didn't want to go through all the interview process if ultimately it would end with me not being granted a visa even though I had an employment offer.

It's interesting to hear how you all got there, so infuriating how difficult it is but guess its the same for everyone. Worst part is my girlfriends american and so marriage would be the easy easy option but I know she wouldn't consider this for at least another 8-10 years!

C'est la vie:unsure:

Then you'll be over here in... oh, about 8-10 years!

justwinbaby Oct 27th 2009 11:06 pm

I think the diffuclty of having to live in different countries for a decade might ruin that plan but who knows:fingerscrossed:

Thanks to the BE community for your help anyway, and congratulations on managing to leave this dull, rainy ****hole and get to the States - I hope you all appreciate it as much as you should!

dbj1000 Oct 27th 2009 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049959)
I think the diffuclty of having to live in different countries for a decade might ruin that plan but who knows:fingerscrossed:

Thanks to the BE community for your help anyway, and congratulations on managing to leave this dull, rainy ****hole and get to the States - I hope you all appreciate it as much as you should!

I'd love you to explain why, exactly, you believe we should appreciate it. I have my own ideas, but I can guarantee you that they don't align with your ideas of why America is the promised land.

For the record, the grass here in Texas is brown throughout most of the year.

justwinbaby Oct 27th 2009 11:27 pm

I could go on all day about why the USA is infinately better but I'll keep it short. Btw this is only a comparison of California and the UK;

1) The people in every single way. Britain's alcohol addiction is quite frankly disgusting, and this is across the board with bost young/old and rich/poor. At 22 going out and seeing girls and guys getting as drunk as they possibly can do every friday and saturday and having no self respect or regard for others around them is embarassing. But equally hearing my old boss brag about how much wine they have in their desk drawers is just as sad

2) The anger of the british people in every walk of life. Football (soccer) is the most perfect example of this. Every game needs police divides because people from different towns can't possibly sit at sport events together without fighting. Suppose its that small island identity but there are so many chavs here now I can't wait to leave. Football in america has a much lighter more enjoyable atmosphere that eminates from the people there just being more content with life than here.

3) The weather is atrocious. Summer has become a non event and the autumn and winter is enough to make you suicidal. How I miss the evening strolls down californias beaches...

4) The ability to work hard and not give up over 50% of this away in tax, knowing that your paying for social security of lazy chavs popping out babies and illegal immigrants.

5) How much britain lives in the past and still think its important when its really not.

6) The incompetancies in customer services of UK companies is now a joke compared to the US.

I could continue for hours but its getting late. I live with an american girl over here to do university and she HATES it here. She honestly didnt realise how far the american stereotype of america is nothing like the relaity and I'm inclined to agree. Face it - Britain gets worse and worse each year and I can't wait to leave. The US may not be perfect but for the most part it is light years ahead of the UK for quality of life

fatbrit Oct 27th 2009 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049997)
I could go on all day about why the USA is.....

So it's pretty obvious to those of us who've lived in both places..........that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

N1cky Oct 28th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by justwinbaby (Post 8049997)
I could go on all day about why the USA is infinately better but I'll keep it short. Btw this is only a comparison of California and the UK;

1) The people in every single way. Britain's alcohol addiction is quite frankly disgusting, and this is across the board with bost young/old and rich/poor. At 22 going out and seeing girls and guys getting as drunk as they possibly can do every friday and saturday and having no self respect or regard for others around them is embarassing. But equally hearing my old boss brag about how much wine they have in their desk drawers is just as sad

2) The anger of the british people in every walk of life. Football (soccer) is the most perfect example of this. Every game needs police divides because people from different towns can't possibly sit at sport events together without fighting. Suppose its that small island identity but there are so many chavs here now I can't wait to leave. Football in america has a much lighter more enjoyable atmosphere that eminates from the people there just being more content with life than here.

3) The weather is atrocious. Summer has become a non event and the autumn and winter is enough to make you suicidal. How I miss the evening strolls down californias beaches...

4) The ability to work hard and not give up over 50% of this away in tax, knowing that your paying for social security of lazy chavs popping out babies and illegal immigrants.

5) How much britain lives in the past and still think its important when its really not.

6) The incompetancies in customer services of UK companies is now a joke compared to the US.

I could continue for hours but its getting late. I live with an american girl over here to do university and she HATES it here. She honestly didnt realise how far the american stereotype of america is nothing like the relaity and I'm inclined to agree. Face it - Britain gets worse and worse each year and I can't wait to leave. The US may not be perfect but for the most part it is light years ahead of the UK for quality of life

I now live in California and can honestly say I think you are talking out of your ar*e. I can't be bothered to go into details, as the chances of you actually getting over here unless you get married are pretty slim.

Maybe if you manage it you will realize that you were talking a load of bollox.

Ozzidoc Oct 28th 2009 12:07 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8050086)
I now live in California and can honestly say I think you are talking out of your ar*e. I can't be bothered to go into details, as the chances of you actually getting over here unless you get married are pretty slim.

Maybe if you manage it you will realize that you were talking a load of bollox.

Ditto. !!

And I'll touch on one detail - taxes! You (OP) are soooo off the mark!!