Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Divorce Laws

USA Divorce Laws

Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold
Default USA Divorce Laws

hi,i married a US citizen but have since split and am back in the UK.I found she divorced me under false pretences,i.e.,saying she knew not of my whereabouts when she did.she was awarded the house in full because of this.anyone know a trustworthy attorney/lawyer in the Boston area.Im in touch with one lawyer but wonder if im just wasting my money taking ex wife to caught,thx for any help,chris
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Divorce Laws

Originally Posted by chukka
hi,i married a US citizen but have since split and am back in the UK.I found she divorced me under false pretences,i.e.,saying she knew not of my whereabouts when she did.she was awarded the house in full because of this.anyone know a trustworthy attorney/lawyer in the Boston area.Im in touch with one lawyer but wonder if im just wasting my money taking ex wife to caught,thx for any help,chris
Sorry, no idea, but might be worth asking at the Motley Fool - I expect they have a legal board.

www.fool.com
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Would depend on how much equity you believe you have in the property
and if you like long drawn out aggravation ..and of course at the end of the day ..even if you win ..she will say its all spent and offer $10 a month
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

A divorce decree entered into based on fraud is ripe for reexamination, especially if it was done so by default. But you will probably need to prove a few things, such as she knew where you were (phone records, emails, letters, etc) and that you were not notified of the court hearing.

You'll also need some numbers on the property, i.e. mortgage, payments left, free and clear, etc. and any other assets she might have poached (checking, savings, air miles, the dog).

http://www.findlaw.com
http://www.marhub.com/

Both have lawyer locators.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea, but I'll ask the bird in the office when she gets back from holidays in a few days as I'm sure she'll know someone, she seems to know plenty in the mass area for some reason...not completely random, she was the port authority lawyer bird a few years back, not the company lawyer.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry, no idea, but might be worth asking at the Motley Fool - I expect they have a legal board.

www.fool.com
If you have no idea, then why post anything at all??
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Good point! Why did you post?

Damn, why did I post? Aw, screw it!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Excuse me.... *I* may not know, but I posted a link to a site where there are bound to be people who do...

What's up with you anyway?
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Would depend on how much equity you believe you have in the property
and if you like long drawn out aggravation ..and of course at the end of the day ..even if you win ..she will say its all spent and offer $10 a month
thx ray.house is worth in excess of $600,000 ,will they rule fairly as im in UK and shes US citizen?,thx again,any info is helpful
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinsix
A divorce decree entered into based on fraud is ripe for reexamination, especially if it was done so by default. But you will probably need to prove a few things, such as she knew where you were (phone records, emails, letters, etc) and that you were not notified of the court hearing.

You'll also need some numbers on the property, i.e. mortgage, payments left, free and clear, etc. and any other assets she might have poached (checking, savings, air miles, the dog).

http://www.findlaw.com
http://www.marhub.com/

Both have lawyer locators.

thx,i e mailed her 1 week before the court case,she has since got a mortgage on the property.was mortgage free when i left
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
No idea, but I'll ask the bird in the office when she gets back from holidays in a few days as I'm sure she'll know someone, she seems to know plenty in the mass area for some reason...not completely random, she was the port authority lawyer bird a few years back, not the company lawyer.
thx mate,didnt think id get much response to my question,thank you all
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
Excuse me.... *I* may not know, but I posted a link to a site where there are bound to be people who do...

What's up with you anyway?
and i appreciate that
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the house was purchased after the marriage, I'd think any court would think you have a claim to it. Even if she owned it before - and you contributed significantly, you should.

Divorce laws vary by state - some just say 50/50 - others say "equitable distribution", taking into account contributions during the marriage and circumstances. Might even be other methods.

But imo, you should have a claim.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
As long as the house was purchased after the marriage, I'd think any court would think you have a claim to it. Even if she owned it before - and you contributed significantly, you should.

Divorce laws vary by state - some just say 50/50 - others say "equitable distribution", taking into account contributions during the marriage and circumstances. Might even be other methods.

But imo, you should have a claim.
she already owned the house,i invested in the renovation work.she put my name on deeds for this reason .im just wondering if its even worth pursueing really,not if im entitled to anything,thx
Old Dec 27th 2007, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

she already owned the house,i invested in the renovation work.she put my name on deeds for this reason .im just wondering if its even worth pursueing really,not if im entitled to anything,thx
You'd have to check into the divorce laws for your state.

It is likely to matter how much you invested in it - compared to the total value of the house. And if you have any proof of that.

On the plus side - she did add you to the deed. Although, that is not generally the definitive thing in US divorces.

I think it would really depend on how much you stand to get, if it'd be worth it to pursue. There would be attorney fees of course...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.