British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USA Divorce Laws (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-divorce-laws-501703/)

bxpuser7543 Dec 26th 2007 7:16 am

USA Divorce Laws

hi,i married a US citizen but have since split and am back in the UK.I found she divorced me under false pretences,i.e.,saying she knew not of my whereabouts when she did.she was awarded the house in full because of this.anyone know a trustworthy attorney/lawyer in the Boston area.Im in touch with one lawyer but wonder if im just wasting my money taking ex wife to caught,thx for any help,chris

Elvira Dec 26th 2007 2:14 pm

Re: USA Divorce Laws

Originally Posted by chukka (Post 5705048)
hi,i married a US citizen but have since split and am back in the UK.I found she divorced me under false pretences,i.e.,saying she knew not of my whereabouts when she did.she was awarded the house in full because of this.anyone know a trustworthy attorney/lawyer in the Boston area.Im in touch with one lawyer but wonder if im just wasting my money taking ex wife to caught,thx for any help,chris

Sorry, no idea, but might be worth asking at the Motley Fool - I expect they have a legal board.

www.fool.com

Ray Dec 26th 2007 2:37 pm

Would depend on how much equity you believe you have in the property
and if you like long drawn out aggravation ..and of course at the end of the day ..even if you win ..she will say its all spent and offer $10 a month

penguinsix Dec 26th 2007 2:45 pm

A divorce decree entered into based on fraud is ripe for reexamination, especially if it was done so by default. But you will probably need to prove a few things, such as she knew where you were (phone records, emails, letters, etc) and that you were not notified of the court hearing.

You'll also need some numbers on the property, i.e. mortgage, payments left, free and clear, etc. and any other assets she might have poached (checking, savings, air miles, the dog).

http://www.findlaw.com
http://www.marhub.com/

Both have lawyer locators.

Bob Dec 26th 2007 4:31 pm

No idea, but I'll ask the bird in the office when she gets back from holidays in a few days as I'm sure she'll know someone, she seems to know plenty in the mass area for some reason...not completely random, she was the port authority lawyer bird a few years back, not the company lawyer.

ironporer Dec 26th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5705756)
Sorry, no idea, but might be worth asking at the Motley Fool - I expect they have a legal board.

www.fool.com

If you have no idea, then why post anything at all??

dbj1000 Dec 26th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 5706748)

Good point! Why did you post?

Damn, why did I post? Aw, screw it!

Elvira Dec 26th 2007 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 5706748)

Excuse me.... *I* may not know, but I posted a link to a site where there are bound to be people who do...

What's up with you anyway?

bxpuser7543 Dec 27th 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5705795)
Would depend on how much equity you believe you have in the property
and if you like long drawn out aggravation ..and of course at the end of the day ..even if you win ..she will say its all spent and offer $10 a month

thx ray.house is worth in excess of $600,000 ,will they rule fairly as im in UK and shes US citizen?,thx again,any info is helpful

bxpuser7543 Dec 27th 2007 10:00 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5705819)
A divorce decree entered into based on fraud is ripe for reexamination, especially if it was done so by default. But you will probably need to prove a few things, such as she knew where you were (phone records, emails, letters, etc) and that you were not notified of the court hearing.

You'll also need some numbers on the property, i.e. mortgage, payments left, free and clear, etc. and any other assets she might have poached (checking, savings, air miles, the dog).

http://www.findlaw.com
http://www.marhub.com/

Both have lawyer locators.

thx,i e mailed her 1 week before the court case,she has since got a mortgage on the property.was mortgage free when i left

bxpuser7543 Dec 27th 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5706011)
No idea, but I'll ask the bird in the office when she gets back from holidays in a few days as I'm sure she'll know someone, she seems to know plenty in the mass area for some reason...not completely random, she was the port authority lawyer bird a few years back, not the company lawyer.

thx mate,didnt think id get much response to my question,thank you all

bxpuser7543 Dec 27th 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5706896)
Excuse me.... *I* may not know, but I posted a link to a site where there are bound to be people who do...

What's up with you anyway?

and i appreciate that

Tracym Dec 27th 2007 11:24 am

Originally Posted by chukka (Post 5705048)

As long as the house was purchased after the marriage, I'd think any court would think you have a claim to it. Even if she owned it before - and you contributed significantly, you should.

Divorce laws vary by state - some just say 50/50 - others say "equitable distribution", taking into account contributions during the marriage and circumstances. Might even be other methods.

But imo, you should have a claim.

bxpuser7543 Dec 27th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5708497)
As long as the house was purchased after the marriage, I'd think any court would think you have a claim to it. Even if she owned it before - and you contributed significantly, you should.

Divorce laws vary by state - some just say 50/50 - others say "equitable distribution", taking into account contributions during the marriage and circumstances. Might even be other methods.

But imo, you should have a claim.

she already owned the house,i invested in the renovation work.she put my name on deeds for this reason .im just wondering if its even worth pursueing really,not if im entitled to anything,thx

Tracym Dec 27th 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by chukka (Post 5708848)
she already owned the house,i invested in the renovation work.she put my name on deeds for this reason .im just wondering if its even worth pursueing really,not if im entitled to anything,thx

You'd have to check into the divorce laws for your state.

It is likely to matter how much you invested in it - compared to the total value of the house. And if you have any proof of that.

On the plus side - she did add you to the deed. Although, that is not generally the definitive thing in US divorces.

I think it would really depend on how much you stand to get, if it'd be worth it to pursue. There would be attorney fees of course...