Usa

Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Usa

Originally Posted by cutina
haha! and prepare to de descended on by thousands of nerds... they're holding the annual drosophila conference there this weekend

omg don't i know it ...usually of course it's held in nawlins but alas not so this yr for obvious reasons...get me outta here
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:55 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie#1
Hi Sarah,

We have plenty of opportunity to move out of here, husband works for Waste Management and fortunately can transfer nearly anywhere. However, everytime we talk about the east coast and down starting from North Carolina all we ever hear about is how poor the schools are (both boys are in elementary) and obviously we cannot afford to put them in private. Florida would be ideal as he has family down there and my dad has a house but again, schools bad and I think it would be too hot in the summer - also a bit too flat even though we have too many hills here. Phoenix was another option but the above applies and he won't entertain the west coast although I don't think we could afford it anyway.

How I ended up here - aargh!!!! I met husband through work and then I came to set up a new office here for the UK company - got together, got really homesick, just ready to go back and then found out I was expecting - panic!!! so I ended up staying. We have good quality of life, good schools, nice house etc... but like you know it really doesn't offer anything much else here.

How did you manage to meet your other half? Where do you think you would like to go - life is so much easier without kids.
Hi Debbie,
I work for a water waste management corp that has a HQ in P'burgh hmm maybe it could be the same one?
I met my other half when I came over in 2002 on a Camp America thing. It was in NE PA up in the pocono's, I taught for 5 months and he was helping out his Dad for the summer who was a manager. We got it on thanks to a lot of alcohol and somehow ended up falling for each other, we did the long distance thing until 2004 when we got hitched. No kids yet, don't plan on it for a while as we're too poor!
Why won't your husband entertain the idea of the West Coast? If he doesn't like California, then there's parts of Oregon - Salem and Portland - that are supposed to be really, really cool cities, same with Washington state.
As for Florida, there must be some decent schools somewhere surely? They can't all be shite, and I doubt P'burgh has the best schools in the country either! You could even look at different places in PA - Philadelphia, Lancaster, Harrisburg, even State College isn't that bad and a lot nicer than Pittsburgh imo!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I actually like living in this part of the NE. It is very rural without being out in the boonies, the countryside is very much like England. It is also a very safe area with almost no crime. I also like being close to several large cities, NYC 45/60 mins away, DC 4 hrs, Boston 6 hrs, Philly 2 hrs etc. The Jersey shore is about 45/60 mins away as is the mountains. Saying that I would at some point like to live in California. I would say if you have the opportunity to move around take it, see what you can while you can.
hardly new england though is it...CT doesn't count either, there tri-state, the unflusable one that no one wants
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, anything is worth a try. I will have to read more about it - thanks to you both for the info.
You need Chicago....

Chicago is... my kind of town...... Chicago is....... my kind of town.....
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Sooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey just think how lucky you are...you could be here in this hot humid ugly city
I agree Houston is a sh*%hole, but I like the people here. They're genuine and you can actually talk to them. Everywhere else I've lived the people have been either extremely self-centred automatons or downright obnoxious. There may be exceptions I don't know about--I haven't lived in every state.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty
I agree Houston is a sh*%hole, but I like the people here. They're genuine and you can actually talk to them. Everywhere else I've lived the people have been either extremely self-centred automatons or downright obnoxious. There may be exceptions I don't know about--I haven't lived in every state.
Its a bit Stepford Wifeish(?) here.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I am always flipping between this site and the moving back to the UK forum as I am one of those that would like to return back but am still here in the USA - Pittsburgh, PA to be precise. Anyway as we all know everyone in the UK always seems to think life if a bed of roses over here but never take into account the homesickness but I sometimes wonder if this is because I live in Pittsburgh. So my question is, how many of us living over here actually like/love it and would never dream of going back and is this because of the area you are living. I guess I am trying to find out if there is obviously a lot more to offer here than good old P.A.
I'd say it's living in Pittsburgh that's getting you down. When my spouse and I were looking to move to the US, Pittsburgh was an obvious place to move because my spouse had a job waiting for him there. However, I'd spent a week in Pittsburgh on biz and he'd spent three months training in Pittsburgh and we both agreed that we didn't want to live there. We took the plunge and moved to a city and state (NC) that neither of us had lived in or even visited in our lives.

So, if the only reason you and your spouse are living in Pittsburgh is to be close to family (his?), then you should think about moving elsewhere in the US. Pittsburgh is well served as an airline destination so cities in the NE and SE would not be too far of a flight away.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Sooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the rough

Where are you Jerseygirl?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you Jerseygirl?
New Jersey
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:10 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

We all seem to have been "dumped" in some city and it's not always the right one. When my husband was head hunted by a company in Huntsville, Alabama it did not conjour up in my mind one of those must live in places. However, it was a start. As it was, after coming over for the initial look round my husband was more than pleasantly surprised. Having now lived here for eleven years and have done a fair amount of US travel there are few places that would make me pack up and move. My husband has since changed jobs and now works for a company based in Chicago but works from home. They are regularly looking for people to transfer elsewhere in the US and we have taken the opportunity to have a look round, but for one reason or another be it high cost of living, traffic congestion or just lack of choice, we have chosen to stay put.

My goddaughter and her family live in Pittsburgh and have done for some 14 years. Once she is in college her parents plan on moving. Right now I think its their love of hockey that keeps them there, but if the Pens decide to move on out I am sure they will do the same. lololol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Actually on second thoughts its very Stepford wifeish/wifish(??) here.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:14 am
Just Joined

New Jersey
I'll just cross that one off the list shall I
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'll just cross that one off the list shall I

Not at all its very nice here, apart from the Stepford Wives.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. We don't live right in Houston (we are about 45mins south of downtown) but I think there are some of the friendliest and helpful people around here. We have been in Texas since the '80's and it certainly feels like home to us now
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You need Chicago....

Chicago is... my kind of town...... Chicago is....... my kind of town.....
Yes I agree Chicago as a city is wonderful if you live in a nice apartment on Lake Shore Drive. However if you have kids and want to live outside the city OMG. Miles and miles and miles of new housing developments all centered around country clubs and church. Sorry but that's not my way of living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.