Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US vs UK Healthcare

US vs UK Healthcare

Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs UK Healthcare

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
hmmm...you could be correct, it has been about 10 years since i looked at the different degrees (back when i first started college), but regardless of MD or PhD, the fact that doctors (at least here) have to attend school for about 7-8 years and go through several years of hell as interns, does give them the right to a good salary. A friend of mine's sister just graduated as a doctor in the UK. She was younger than me I think and hadn't been in school as long. How long does one go to school to be a doc in the UK?
I think it's pretty much the same in the UK too, what with being an intern and all that....can't say I know too much about it...but Architects do seven years before there qualified, and they don't seem to charge nearly as much per hour as doc's do...unless you see a really top one I guess
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect anyone to come by my house after I have given birth especially not every day. If there is a problem, I don't need (or want) a midwife,I will go to my pediatrician. A midwife couldn't do anything for you in the US, unless they are licensed physicians - so what use would he/she be? And are those 'routine' tests given to the baby even necessary?

So you've never lived in the UK and I'm guessing never had a child either? To be fair to both systems, you probably shouldn't slam the UK if you've never experienced it.

While I think both systems need work, the US especially because of the cost of things, I still think they both have good ideas. Because I've had children in both countries I feel I can objectively respond to your post. When I had my older kids I was extremely young and I had no help, my mother died years ago, so I didn't have her to ask. I learned the hard way on how to take care of my kids and I survived, end of story. However, three years ago I had another child, in the UK. I ended up having an emergency c-section and was amazed at the level of good care I received, especially by the midwives! They were extremely understanding and really took their time, even though they were rushed off their feet because they have a real unfortunate midwifery shortage. I was in the hospital 7 days and they wanted me to stay longer. In the US, because of medical insurance, they would have had me shuffling out the door 3 days later if I was lucky. The first day home I had a visit by my GP and by the district nurse. Then for the next couple of weeks I had a midwife in daily, plus a visit by the health nurse, all extremely welcomed by me. I told my husband and whomever would listen that I thought this was excellent, and I still do. The help this would be to first time mothers would be invaluable.

In the long run, I feel you shouldn't really knock something you've never tried. I feel your post was pretty juvenile.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rete]I suppose that it depends on the healthcare insurance one has and your doctor. I had breast cancer in 1991. Never had to have a second opinion. From the date of finding on my baseline to the date of surgery was 2 weeks. Followup care was wonderful. Mammos every three months along with doctor's visits and the other assortment of caregivers to read mammos, etc. and health insurance paid everything without a quibble."

Things have gone down a bit since 1991 too....I forget who said it earlier but I believe the health system here will self-destruct too.
yes you are right, a lot depends on your health insurance but most people do not have a choice- they are committed to their employers choices (and employers can, and often do, change providers and plans every year). HMO's don't give people much of a choice and you'll find many of them will have to get 2nd and even 3rd opinions sometimes for major surgery.

"I have to ask why your daughter has not seen her OB/GYN for this condition and is not under his/her direct care rather than relying on an ER for treatment. The purpose of an ER is not for the treatment of a regular health problem but for emergency care only."

Of course she'd seen her OB/GYN, who gave her tablets to stop the vomiting, which she promptly threw up being as she couldn't even keep water down. It was her doctors office who told us to take her to ER each time- and it was an emergency each time, as she was throwing up blood and her stomach lining at this point. Hyperemesis G is a life threatening condition when untreated. But she has changed her OB/GYN since because she was not given the tests(re liver and kidney) that she should have been given with her condition, in fact there was no real care at all from her original doctor- she claimed she never got the messages from her office staff.

"I have to agree that our medical system in particular (as well as society in general) tend to turn blind eyes to the elderly. Negligent and abuse of our seniors who can no longer care for themselves are a disgrace. And Florida, a mecca for the elderly has more than its share if only because of its relative high percentage of elderly."

...Well my friend is a millionaire and her mother was well insured over and above the medicare- the problem was her mother was out of her living area (Punta Gorda) and there was a delay over getting her paperwork, so they left her untreated on a trolley in corridors in pain....apparently she'd had all the ER treatment allowed for 'freebies' and until her paperwork was in order they wouldn't do anything. My friend eventually got an ambulance to take her down to her local hospital in PG at her own expense. Yes the elderly suffer everywhere, how many old people have to sell their house and move in mobile homes because they can't afford their prescriptions otherwise- happens all the time in Florida, which as you say is a retirement State. But money was not the issue in this case- it was constipated bureaucracy leading to gross negligence...wish someone would write a prescription for that.

"Lack of health insurance coverage is a national problem. I don't know what the immigration status of your British friends or if they were working but if so they would have had, in at least the majority of cases, health insurance through their employer. Unfortunately, trying to obtain insurance for a pre-existing condition is almost impossible."

...Yes it sure is a national problem- over 40% of the population doesn't have health insurance. Scary.
The Brit couple were on one of those silly E visas- granted. They owned a shop in Orlando and doing well...their insurance company dropped them and they could not get another to cover their daughter because of her heart condition (she was born in the US), so they went back to UK.

"Do you also know that many of the US nurses are not US citizens or at least were not when they started. Go to a hospital such as Mt. Vernon Hospital in NY and you will see that their nursing students are recruited from the Philipphines. The nursing staff there went on strike in the 80's because the hospital would no longer accept US residents for the nursing school program and would only accept applications from foreign students. I have friends who are US born citizens who are RN and LPNs and they are only allowed to work 2 12 hour shifts a week. I agree with you wholeheartedly, the medical fields in the US are a big business. However, if one chooses their hospital carefully along with their careprovider (doctors) then the treatment you receive for any diagnosed disease or illness is topnotch. I have had breast cancer, kidney problems and no diabetes and at all times my care by both doctors and hospital was excellent."

...there's a 3 year waiting list for the nursing programmes here and has been for the last 10 years, and the vast majority of nurses in our local hospitals are USCs, and British nurses are deemed better trained, so I was told by a doctor from Sarasota Memorial.
For many there isn't an excellent hospital within driving distance and very few have the luxury of choice anyway- your insurance (if you have it) will dictate your choices. And I disagree that the treatment will be top notch- in some hospitals in the country, yes, but nowhere near ALL. But I'm glad you had great treatment.

Yep the mighty dollar rules, we agree on that, if you have the money you can get the best treatment available in the US....if you don't have the money and can't afford insurance then God help you. Its the profit margin which counts in hospitals here, not the patient.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So you've never lived in the UK and I'm guessing never had a child either? To be fair to both systems, you probably shouldn't slam the UK if you've never experienced it.

While I think both systems need work, the US especially because of the cost of things, I still think they both have good ideas. Because I've had children in both countries I feel I can objectively respond to your post. When I had my older kids I was extremely young and I had no help, my mother died years ago, so I didn't have her to ask. I learned the hard way on how to take care of my kids and I survived, end of story. However, three years ago I had another child, in the UK. I ended up having an emergency c-section and was amazed at the level of good care I received, especially by the midwives! They were extremely understanding and really took their time, even though they were rushed off their feet because they have a real unfortunate midwifery shortage. I was in the hospital 7 days and they wanted me to stay longer. In the US, because of medical insurance, they would have had me shuffling out the door 3 days later if I was lucky. The first day home I had a visit by my GP and by the district nurse. Then for the next couple of weeks I had a midwife in daily, plus a visit by the health nurse, all extremely welcomed by me. I told my husband and whomever would listen that I thought this was excellent, and I still do. The help this would be to first time mothers would be invaluable.

In the long run, I feel you shouldn't really knock something you've never tried. I feel your post was pretty juvenile.
I was not trying to come across as juvenile obviously, so apparently I didn't explain myself well enough (I was too lazy to type). I was not trying to slam the UK system. I did live in the UK, granted it was for a short period of time. And though I have never given birth, many of friends have and I have been there for them during that time. I suppose my first thought is that mid-wifery is something that is out-of-date and old-fashioned - a profession that is no longer needed with today's pediatricians and ob/gyn's. My questions would be, what can a midwife do for me that going to a doc couldn't do and why would I need one? I can see how having someone come by and help would benefit a first time mother, however, I'm a very private person myself, and do not like the idea of any care-giver coming by my house to help out. I just would not be comfortable with the idea of house calls by doctors or nurses. I suppose I'm the type that doesn't want a stranger coming into my house. If someone was going to help me out, it would my family or my friends first.

Maybe my thoughts on this subject will change after I have my first child, but for the moment, this is just my feelings on the topic.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 20th 2004 at 10:22 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I was not trying to come across as juvenile obviously, so apparently I didn't explain myself well enough (I was too lazy to type). I was not trying to slam the UK system. I did live in the UK, granted it was for a short period of time. And though I have never given birth, many of friends have and I have been there for them during that time. I suppose my first thought is that mid-wifery is something that is out-of-date and old-fashioned - a profession that is no longer needed with today's pediatricians and ob/gyn's. My questions would be, what can a midwife do for me that going to a doc couldn't do and why would I need one? I can see how having someone come by and help would benefit a first time mother, however, I'm a very private person myself, and do not like the idea of any care-giver coming by my house to help out. I just would not be comfortable with the idea of house calls by doctors or nurses. I suppose I'm the type that doesn't want a stranger coming into my house. If someone was going to help me out, it would my family or my friends first.

Maybe my thoughts on this subject will change after I have my first child, but for the moment, this is just my feelings on the topic.
Midwives are used here in the US as well. They are a wonderful institution and not out of date as you might think. A midwife, nurse, etc wouldn't take the place of a doctor. The doctors were all there when I had my baby....but it was the midwife that was there constantly. She knew how I was feeling, could suggest different things, usually because they have tons of on the job training. The midwife is very much the "nurse" in the maternity ward. Just as you would need a nurse, you would need a midwife. I can understand being apprehensive of something you're not sure of, but to slam it is pretty harsh.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

. I suppose my first thought is that mid-wifery is something that is out-of-date and old-fashioned - a profession that is no longer needed with today's pediatricians and ob/gyn's. My questions would be, what can a midwife do for me that going to a doc couldn't do and why would I need one?.

Here in the US midwives are called ob/gyn nurses. They're the ones that are with you right through your labor, who only stand aside for the few minutes it takes for the doc to catch the baby so he can bill you for the delivery!!!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

hmmm...you could be correct, it has been about 10 years since i looked at the different degrees (back when i first started college), but regardless of MD or PhD, the fact that doctors (at least here) have to attend school for about 7-8 years and go through several years of hell as interns, does give them the right to a good salary. A friend of mine's sister just graduated as a doctor in the UK. She was younger than me I think and hadn't been in school as long. How long does one go to school to be a doc in the UK?

Now the question is, since I went to school for 7 years, can I demand as good a salary? ehheeh..sadly, I don't think so.

Hopefully you'll get out of school soon dunroving and start to earn the salary that 10 yrs in school should get you.
Doctors in the UK train for 4 years in medical and then work under the supervision of a medical consultant for another year, then go on to do a practical intern kind of job.
As to your questions about midwives and in turn health visitors visiting after the birth of a child, they provide valuable support and care at a very vulnerable time for both children and women. Most can also prescribe meds often needed at this time and give valuable health promotion messages.The US is very behind in public health and the preventative messages which reduce illnesses in later life.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by izibear
Here in the US midwives are called ob/gyn nurses. They're the ones that are with you right through your labor, who only stand aside for the few minutes it takes for the doc to catch the baby so he can bill you for the delivery!!!
I'm not sure but i think i'm right in suggesting that the obs/gyn nurses here are not trained to the same level as midwives back home who mostly have degrees in maternal and newborn health and work as autonomous practitioners in normal pregnancy and deliveries.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
As to your questions about midwives and in turn health visitors visiting after the birth of a child, they provide valuable support and care at a very vulnerable time for both children and women. Most can also prescribe meds often needed at this time and give valuable health promotion messages.The US is very behind in public health and the preventative messages which reduce illnesses in later life.
It's helping out with all that post natal depression I keep hearing about isn't it...
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:35 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sunflower Girl

Midwives in the UK are autonomous practitioners in their own right. They can prescribe pain relief drugs during labour and actually deliver the baby themselves. The doctor is only ever called in when there are serious complications. If an episiotomy has been performed during the labour they perfom it and suture the mother afterwards. They can deliver babies using forceps and are the ones to take the baby from the surgeon after the baby has been delivered by caesarean section. They are responsible and accountable for all the mothers care before/during/after labour.

The routine tests are the ones that would detect any life threatening diseases the baby may have but are undetectable by visual examination.Their hips are tested to check for congenital hip deformities, not apparent at birth unless checked. If not detected these children suffer a childhood of pain and suffering and if treatment or surgery is delayed or missed completely, may never be repaired. The blood tests can detect rare conditions and although rare can be fatal. All babies are given a shot of vitamin K which halps prevent haemorrhagic disease. Again, not every baby born will have this disease but for the sake of a cheap and effective treatment of vitamin K, why not. I'd hate my baby to be the one with the rare disease. In some areas babies are checked for TB and given a BCG if necessary.

When mother and baby are discharged home the midwife visits at home to check that the baby is feeding properly and gaining weight, often new mothers don't have a clue and some mothers don't have the money and so their babies do not grow as expected. Some babies get infections and need antibiotics. The midwives are the first point of contact and prevent the doctor being called out to something that could be dealt with very well by a midwife. I can remember waiting thankfully for my midwife to call when I had mastitis and couldn't feed my son. I was in a complete panic that he wasn't getting any milk. I was actually very ill and couldn't have fed anyway but I just thought it was all part of being a new mother! The midwife checks the mother to make sure she has no infection and her "sore" areas are healing ok. (sorry guys)! They also make note if they suspect any child abuse and pass it on to a Health visitor. The Uk system follwing the birth of a baby is second to none. These are the reasons why midwives are better than a paediatrician that you may or may not go to see if you don't even know you have a problem. Your family or friends are not trained to care for a new mother and her newborn baby. The midwife doesn't come to your house to "help out"! She does her job of making sure mother and baby are safe and healthy and then leaves to see the other 30 on her list for that day! Also House calls are not the norm in the US but in the UK we are used to calling a nurse, midwife or doctor out if we are absolutely unable to get out of bed and go to the GP. I think that perhaps because of your misunderstanding of how the UK system works it is clouding your opinions. Also,being a UK trained nurse myself, I happen to know that doctors don't know everything....neither do nurses or midwives but between the different types of care given by each, they complement each other.

Maggie

Old Sep 21st 2004, 2:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: US vs UK Healthcare

Excellent posts from Maggs and AmerLisa.

I'm so grateful that my babies were born in the UK and I was able to receive wonderful care from the midwives and <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Health">health</a> visitors.

When my daughter was born I'd had a caesarian section and was actually in hospital for ten days. During that time a physiotherapist (aka physical therapist in the US) would visit the <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed">bed</a>side once a day to give me exercises to speed up my recovery and the nurses and ancillary hospital staff were so helpful and kind.

Two days after arriving home I was awoken in the morning by my baby crying for a feed....then I noticed that I was lying in a large pool of blood with some big blood clots - the <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed">bed</a> was absolutely soaked. I was alone with the baby and quite frightened. Luckily, I knew that the midwife would be due to arrive within the next hour or so and would be able to advise on what to do. When the midwife arrived she pointed out that my hospital notes showed that the placenta had been 'ragged' rather than smooth (the baby was overdue so the placenta was deteriorating). She was concerned that there may have been a small part of the placenta still inside me and phoned my GP immediately and she calmed me down - I dreaded the thought of having to go back to hospital for a D&C as I couldn't have had my baby with me.

The GP paid a home visit and was very comforting. After checking my temp and checking me over I was prescri<a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed">bed</a> antibiotics. The midwife was very good and was phoning to check on me, but fortunately the antibiotics must have done the trick as I had no recurrence.

I dread to think how I would have coped in the same scenario over here in the US.....having to somehow get dressed whilst feeling faint/weak and wait with a newborn in the ob/gyn's office or going to an ER....and probably then having to battle with an <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Insurance">insurance</a> claim to boot.

The NHS is the 'Jewel in the Crown' of British lifestyle as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 21st 2004 at 2:27 am.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

And though I have never given birth, many of friends have and I have been there for them during that time.
No offense intended... but that one sentence instantly makes your whole argument null and void in my opinion.

I have baby sat children from being 13 years old (children of all ages)... I read just about every book on child birth & care in the libary, spent hours researching the info online and took birthing/childcare classes while I was pregnant with my daughter BUT there is nothing that can fully prepare you for being a mother... I had my daughter in the US... for all those worrying (and what seem so silly now) questions that EVERY new mother has I would have loved having a midwife calling by to ask. Instead I was shoved out the door after 2 days and told to see my doc in 2 weeks.

Ash
Old Sep 21st 2004, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

If someone was going to help me out, it would my family or my friends first.
Should also have added some of the 'advice' I was given was down right scarey :scared:
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
It's helping out with all that post natal depression I keep hearing about isn't it...
that's one of the things they do and post natal depression in mothers has been shown to have a great impact on the future learning and mental health of the child
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but will do so again in here because it's relevant. I am very much into reading books and love listening to one of the book review programs on BBC Radio5 Live. One day the book reviewed was one written by an American woman (who is a writer) about her experience with the British NHS. She was on holiday in London at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

On the day before she was due to fly back to the USA she collapsed in Oxford Street, London and rushed to hospital where her baby was delivered prematurely and safely. However, complications of some sort developed and she and her baby had to stay in hospital much longer than intended and during this time they both received excellent treatment. As she said on the radio, it was faultless in every way and she was so impressed with the kindness and attention she received on the NHS, from the doctors and nurses, that she decided to write a book about it, which she did.

In the program she praised the British NHS and although she was under no obligation to make any form of payment for her treatment, nor was she ever pressurised in any way to do so, she asked for all details of the costs involved. This she refunded, PLUS MORE, so impressed was she with the way the NHS dealt with her and her baby. Both are now well and happy back in New York, USA.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.