Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK power converters

US/UK power converters

Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default US/UK power converters

Does anyone know what kind of converter to get so I can use small US appliances, eg, hairdryer, in the UK? Been looking around but a wee bit confused as to what I should get? Just want something cheap and simple.

Saw this on Amazon but not sure its the right thing? Heheh nice to see I have my priorities for my trip sorted out

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

Thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:43 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: US/UK power converters

That looks fine. Just make sure your hairdryer is not more than 1600W !
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There was a pretty decent thread on this about a month or so ago, can't be bothered looking for it, but I'm sure you could find it doing a quick search, not being narky or anything as people tend to think when suggesting the search, but it was a good thread with lots of info on what's good and where to's etc.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

That will work - anything that is dual voltage - ie from 110v to 240 v (check labels) will work with a travel adaptor (which is that on the link) If its only 110 then you need a step down power transformer or it will melt - not really worth it if you are travelling! Hotels do tend to have hairdryers though - and you can buy them over there too!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

you need to be careful with the watts too - some mobile phone chargers wont work unless they are travel chargers (most are to be fair but my father in law got stung in NY earlier this year)
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:52 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
That will work - anything that is dual voltage - ie from 110v to 240 v (check labels) will work with a travel adaptor (which is that on the link) If its only 110 then you need a step down power transformer or it will melt - not really worth it if you are travelling! Hotels do tend to have hairdryers though - and you can buy them over there too!
On our first trip back to the UK my wife brought her hairdryer with her (and bought a convertor) but it never did work very well, constantly changing speeds, running from hot to cold, and a strange burning smell

In the end we bought a UK hairdryer for about a tenner that we take with us every time we go back. So much easier.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:05 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i don;t think that is a transformer and it should only be used for short periods of time with high power item like a hairdryer if the voltage does not need to be changed. my wife tried to use a similar thing and her hairdryer died a death

easier to go to argos and get something for 10 quid

these guys sell proper transformers

http://www.dvdoverseas.com

to be honest, most small appliances you may as well chuck

i got a transformer for my coffee machine and my stero becasue to replace the machine would have cost $1500 and a $50 transformer was worth the effort (works flawlessly for the last year)
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:59 pm
Banned

imerkedve is an unknown quantity at this point

They Sell Them At Walmart As Well For Us$20