Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

This is a new question, I swear!
OK, I won't stake my life on the assumption that no one ever posted this here, but I can't find it, therefore it must not exist.

US/UK dual citizen, living in the US, no current plans to travel to the UK or Europe and certainly no plans for moving in the next several years.

UK passport set to expire in the next 6 months or so... Renew or Not Renew?

He has no emotional attachment to maintaining a current UK passport, so none of those arguments will fly.
Are there any practical considerations (other than the moving, covered above) to argue for keeping the UK passport current, as opposed to renewing it "sometime in the future"?

I guess my only concern after reviewing UK passport threads would be the level/amount of documentation needed to prove his UK citizenship. Will it be different if the passport has been expired for X amount of time?

Any other related thoughts appreciated, thanks!

For reference, recent similar threads:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506273
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665135
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

At the moment, if it's been 10 years since it expired, he'll have to apply as a first time passport holder, which is a pain in the nuts...so basically he's got 10 years.

I recently got mine renewed and apparently it had expired about 3 years or so ago...but I'm a cheap sake and sent it to my mother to do from the UK.

So yeah, no real need to renew unless there are plans to move to the UK/EU or holiday in a country that the US requires a visa for but the UK doesn't and possibly to be used as proof on getting kids passports, don't know if they'll accept old ones or not for that purpose.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
At the moment, if it's been 10 years since it expired, he'll have to apply as a first time passport holder, which is a pain in the nuts...so basically he's got 10 years.

I recently got mine renewed and apparently it had expired about 3 years or so ago...but I'm a cheap sake and sent it to my mother to do from the UK.

So yeah, no real need to renew unless there are plans to move to the UK/EU or holiday in a country that the US requires a visa for but the UK doesn't and possibly to be used as proof on getting kids passports, don't know if they'll accept old ones or not for that purpose.
My husband's has been expired for a couple of years now....need to get it renewed, but how did you get your mother to do it, Bob? It is pretty expensive over here, and someone suggested doing it that way, but didn't know it could be done....
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wow... that's a toughie! None of my immediate family live in the UK now... but even then I'm not sure I'd let my UK passport expire. You just never know what might happen in the future... and sure, you can use a US passport to enter, but even a USC can be refused entry although it probably doesn't happen all that often. For me, there's some peace of mind knowing I can't be refused entry in a pinch!

I'll always keep a valid CDN passport... my mom and brother still live in Toronto and, at 82, mom's now in declining health.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband's has been expired for a couple of years now....need to get it renewed, but how did you get your mother to do it, Bob? It is pretty expensive over here, and someone suggested doing it that way, but didn't know it could be done....
I Fedex'ed her my passport, along with completed forms and photo...and she popped it in the mail and special delivery back to me.

Wasn't a problem whether is should have been or not
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I Fedex'ed her my passport, along with completed forms and photo...and she popped it in the mail and special delivery back to me.

Wasn't a problem whether is should have been or not
So you having the photo done here wasn't a problem? I wonder if it has to be countersigned if its been expired for a couple of years....
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:28 am

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I won't stake my life on the assumption that no one ever posted this here, but I can't find it, therefore it must not exist.

US/UK dual citizen, living in the US, no current plans to travel to the UK or Europe and certainly no plans for moving in the next several years.

UK passport set to expire in the next 6 months or so... Renew or Not Renew? Renew

He has no emotional attachment to maintaining a current UK passport, so none of those arguments will fly.
Are there any practical considerations (other than the moving, covered above) to argue for keeping the UK passport current, as opposed to renewing it "sometime in the future"? Probably Not

I guess my only concern after reviewing UK passport threads would be the level/amount of documentation needed to prove his UK citizenship. Will it be different if the passport has been expired for X amount of time?

US/UK dual citizen here as well. I was in the same sort of situation earlier this year. UK passport getting ready to expire and yet no plans or need for it in the upcoming months or years. I went ahead and spent the hard earned dollars anyway and renewed. It now gives me a sense of calm knowing it is current regardless if needed plus life experiences dictate that it is always easier to renew than start all over again.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So you having the photo done here wasn't a problem? I wonder if it has to be countersigned if its been expired for a couple of years....
I did my own photo and used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get them the right size and printed them out at Target.

Wasn't an issue and didn't need them countersigned because there wasn't a significant change in appearance, but my mother did say if they came back wanting a counter sig, her neighbour was willing to sign them, known her for about 15 odd years though.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
I did my own photo and used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get them the right size and printed them out at Target.

Wasn't an issue and didn't need them countersigned because there wasn't a significant change in appearance, but my mother did say if they came back wanting a counter sig, her neighbour was willing to sign them, known her for about 15 odd years though.
Ah ok... Thanks for the info, Bob.

Sorry for the hijack, M.....
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Yes, my fellow cheapskate, we think alike.
Right, so it turns out it doesn't expire until next year (I told him so!). At the age he will be pushing 10 years out from that, well, I guess we can revisit it any time in the next 10.

Regarding the first time vs renewal, the only document difference I see is the birth certificate.
Renew
First Time (if pp is expired 10+ years)
I don't think I found an actual gov't page that explains the 10 year thing, but I'll take your collective word on it.

Am still not 100% clear about using a photocopy of that full birth certificate.
Motivation: low.

Neglected to mention.. no kids and no potential. No moves to UK or EU. Any holidays can be done on US pp.
Check.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Wow... that's a toughie! None of my immediate family live in the UK now... but even then I'm not sure I'd let my UK passport expire. You just never know what might happen in the future... and sure, you can use a US passport to enter, but even a USC can be refused entry although it probably doesn't happen all that often. For me, there's some peace of mind knowing I can't be refused entry in a pinch!

I'll always keep a valid CDN passport... my mom and brother still live in Toronto and, at 82, mom's now in declining health.

Ian
Thanks for your thoughts Ian & Isabel_7; good perspectives.
I believe that an expired UK passport would be an accepted entry document (not ideal, just accepted if it came down to it).
Due to cost, I do not maintain a Canadian passport, but have no need to enter there as a citizen. I think DH feels much the same about the UK. With no family there, and all things considered, he really identifies as a US citizen.

Thank you all for the input though; I want to make sure I've got the info straight to give to him to decide.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I believe that an expired UK passport would be an accepted entry document
It is, but there's extra questioning and you've got to get the airline to allow you on the plane, which if told before the flight, they could well do, but I think it's told that day...it's really a question of being able to get on the plane rather than into the country though in this regards....but US passport will still suffice, for now at least.

As fore renew v first time, it's more hassle because you will need long birth certs of your parents and if they weren't born in the UK, you'd have the added pain of the proof you're eligible by decent, such as time spent in the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It is, but there's extra questioning and you've got to get the airline to allow you on the plane, which if told before the flight, they could well do, but I think it's told that day...it's really a question of being able to get on the plane rather than into the country though in this regards....but US passport will still suffice, for now at least.

As fore renew v first time, it's more hassle because you will need long birth certs of your parents and if they weren't born in the UK, you'd have the added pain of the proof you're eligible by decent, such as time spent in the UK.
Where does it say the parents' birth certificate is required? One parent was NOT born in the UK in this case.

And, re arguing about the expired pp being a valid entry document, I'm sorry I didn't s p e l l it out that yes, he has a US passport that he maintains and the only reason to enter the UK on a UK passport (expired or otherwise) would be because he intended to re-settle there.

All first time applicants

Born before 1 January 1983 in the UK

If you were born before 1 January 1983 in the UK you must provide:

* a photocopy of your current photo ID (foreign passport or residence card and driving licence) and
* your full (shows parents details) UK or British Overseas Territories birth certificate and
* the passport used to enter your country of residence or if not available a letter of explanation
* if your current surname differs from the name on your birth certificate you must provide the original name change document e.g. marriage certificate.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:37 pm

Where does it say the parents' birth certificate is required? One parent was NOT born in the UK in this case.
What I meant by that, btw, was not to argue it, but to sincerely find out. As frustrated as US-newcomers are with US bureaucracy-speak etc.. I have the same problem with UK gov't stuff.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

What I meant by that, btw, was not to argue it, but to sincerely find out. As frustrated as US-newcomers are with US bureaucracy-speak etc.. I have the same problem with UK gov't stuff.
Parents, I don't know which, there was a preference at one time, not sure when/if there is any more, don't think there is.

But it might be moot if you're keeping the US passport up to date as that could be used as ID with your own full birth cert.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

Are there any practical considerations (other than the moving, covered above) to argue for keeping the UK passport current, as opposed to renewing it "sometime in the future"?

He'll have up to 10 years to renew following expiration of his current passport. The UK Passport Service is changing from April this year (the service operated by the Foreign Office will be merged into UK based operations run by the Identity and Passport Service). You'll start to see some changes in terms of passport procedures in the coming months which may also result in a price change (i.e. similar to that in the UK but with an international postal fee added on top (as all passports will be produced in the UK).

Hope this helps.

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.