Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK dual taxation treaty and pension income

US/UK dual taxation treaty and pension income

Old May 18th 2022, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Rowen123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US/UK dual taxation treaty and pension income

[QUOTE=celticgrid;13115908]In my more recent experience a small change to the process...The IRS send the necessary paperwork to the Inland Revenue (copy to you) directly. I did not need to receive a certificate from the IRS and then send it to HMRC.[/QU

Thank you for responding, so did you send the filled out HMRC paperwork to the IRS with the 8802 form for certificate- then they sent on?
Because we were told to apply for the certificate first- what was your process?
Old May 18th 2022, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, do you remember if the 6166 form had to be certified by anyone, or just as it came from the IRS
Old May 19th 2022, 12:31 am
Just Joined

I think after reading through the posts in regards to this issue I'm clear- also the form on the HMRC website is a little different than the one sent to me by the advisor, so thank you again!
Old May 19th 2022, 1:05 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rowen123;13115983]Thank you, do you remember if the 6166 form had to be certified by anyone, or just as it came from the IRS[/

I have only done these for companies so far, but I fax the form 8802 with a cover letter and proof you have paid the fees and months later I get the form 6166 per county I requested. This is “certificate” from the department of Treasury certifying that the entity is a US company that is tax resident / has filed tax returns. The wording varies but which county you request it for, but some mention a double tax convention etc..
Old May 19th 2022, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I sent in the 8802 form, received the 6166, and was confused about the HMRC form- where to send it when Im done filling out- and it looks like it gets sent back to the IRS because theres an area on the form that requires a stamp verifying the 6166. Then the IRS sends it on to HMRC.
Was also confused about when to send to HMRC.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

TerryGoX is an unknown quantity at this point

I am following with great interest - I have my copy of the IRS 6166 - which is rather curt and to the point - but on the P85 is asks for a stamp from the IRS as mentioned by Rowen123 - I cant imagine sending the P85 to the IRS and them doing anything with it - I thought the 6166 was doing this task and in some way I would send to the HMRC. I fear not following the most optional route and having my paperwork in some black hole.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
The instructions on the HMRC website show an IRS address the filled out form is to be sent to- they then stamp to authenticate and either send it back to you to send it on, or send it on - from what I've read. I thought the same as you- another step I thought was covered by the 6166 form! I haven't sent yet but am probably going to call the number on the letter they sent and hope to get through to confirm before I do it.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You send the form to the IRS and they certify it and inform HMRC. When I did mine in 2009 the IRS sent the information to HMRC, took just over 2 months if memory is still good. Looking at the current stuff online it still seems to be done that way.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: US/UK dual taxation treaty and pension income

Thank you so much for confirming and saving me the call
Old Jun 4th 2022, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

TerryGoX is an unknown quantity at this point

What then is the use of paying $85 to get the 6166 form? The address in the P85 notes is the same as the one I sent my 6166 application to. I just started getting my UK state pension and they are not deducing any tax as they say they assumed I had NT status as I lived in the US. I plan to call HMRC to seek their advice and if a copy of the 6166 will cover the need to get the P85 signed. The Philadelphia IRS office that needs to process the P85 is very slow and it took 3 months for them to create a 6166 form

Old Jun 4th 2022, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Interesting, thanks for that information.
The address I have on my letter is different than the one in the HMRC instructions. A different zip code than the one in the instructions. I have not applied for the pension yet but will this month, its a private pension, when I contacted the pension originally they knew nothing about anything in regards to dual taxation.
It only took me 2 months to get the certificate which is pretty fast considering the amount of forms they are processing.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

The more I've read the more I agree with you- maybe the stamping area at the bottom of the form is for people who send in the form without the 6166 which IS the certification after all.
I'm planning on sending the form to HMRC with the 6166- not the IRS.