Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK Citizen, travel on UK passport

US/UK Citizen, travel on UK passport

Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute
Default US/UK Citizen, travel on UK passport

Quick query. I became US Citizen recently, have applied for my passport, but it hasn't arrived as yet. I've got to fly back to the UK urgently, still have my UK passport (but of course no green card, as I handed it back in at the Citizenship Ceremony). Will I have a problem if I try to travel on just my UK passport do you think?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Citizen, travel on UK passport

Originally Posted by paul32x
Quick query. I became US Citizen recently, have applied for my passport, but it hasn't arrived as yet. I've got to fly back to the UK urgently, still have my UK passport (but of course no green card, as I handed it back in at the Citizenship Ceremony). Will I have a problem if I try to travel on just my UK passport do you think?
You may be delayed on your entry to the US and get a bit of a telling off because you should now enter the US using a US PP. You cannot be refused entry as you are now a USC.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, be careful you're not refused boarding on the return leg. Airlines generally won't carry UK passport holders to the US without a valid ESTA or US visa/green card.

Travel under the VWP (i.e. through ESTA) requires a return or onward ticket away from the US.

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Dec 8th 2012 at 6:19 pm. Reason: Return ticket
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Also, be careful you're not refused boarding on the return leg. Airlines generally won't carry UK passport holders to the US without a valid ESTA or US visa/green card.
Good point.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. I'll just have to see if I can find a way of putting it off until it arrives -- don't want to get into trouble!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
Thanks very much. I'll just have to see if I can find a way of putting it off until it arrives -- don't want to get into trouble!
If you have to travel, is there someone at home in the US who could send your US passport to you in the UK by courier. Would mean of course you are stuck in the UK until you get it.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you have good reason to expect your US passport to arrive before you are going to return from the UK, and if there is someone at your home address, they could FedEx it to you in the UK

I was warned that if I returned to the US on a British passport I should expect at least a couple of hours of delays and interviews/ interrogation.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you have to travel, is there someone at home in the US who could send your US passport to you in the UK by courier. Would mean of course you are stuck in the UK until you get it.
That's a good idea, never thought of that. UPS is usually only a couple of business days between the US and UK, so that might be a possibility. Thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Cool, my new passport arrived yesterday, and that was without the expedited service!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666

Travel under the VWP (i.e. through ESTA) requires a return or onward ticket away from the US.
It's strongly inadvisable for a U.S. citizen to present himself or herself to the United States authorities as a non-citizen, so trying to use a foreign passport to get ESTA clearance is a bad idea.

If you have to leave the U.S. (in an emergency) without a passport, it would be a much better option to go to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, explain the situation and ask for a temporary U.S. passport to get back to the United States.

(the original poster got his passport, but this could be useful for anyone else).