Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Taxes for UK resident: PFIC & Sterling investment options? Peer to Peer?

US Taxes for UK resident: PFIC & Sterling investment options? Peer to Peer?

Old Nov 8th 2015, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

ollylonsf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Taxes for UK resident: PFIC & Sterling investment options? Peer to Peer?

Hi all,

These forums are great. I wanted to ask if anyone knew the status to peer-to-peer lenders in the UK, with regard to the US IRS and PFIC.

I still hold some sterling and am not ready to move it all to the US. However it's stuck in the UK earning nothing as cash, while I try and figure out the mine-field that is PFIC. I don't want to directly invest in shares (and struggle to find a UK broker that would accept a US resident).

I wondered if starting to do some peer to peer lending in the UK would be treated as a PFIC? Or more generally, if anyone knew tax implications of P2P lending?

Or more generally, how have people dealt with UK £ holdings whilst resident in the US?

Thanks guys,
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:20 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Taxes for UK resident: PFIC & Sterling investment options? Peer to Peer?

I would avoid anything other than a simple interest bearing account through with a bank or building society, individual shares or US registered ETFs that are also UK reporting.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: US Taxes for UK resident: PFIC & Sterling investment options? Peer to Peer?

Originally Posted by nun
I would avoid anything other than a simple interest bearing account through with a bank or building society, individual shares or US registered ETFs that are also UK reporting.
Hi!
Thanks for the reply! I've heard about us registered etfs that are UK Reporting but I've been unable to actually find any. What are they and how can I invest in then?
Thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollylonsf
Hi!
Thanks for the reply! I've heard about us registered etfs that are UK Reporting but I've been unable to actually find any. What are they and how can I invest in then?
Thanks!
Basically you are looking at US Vanguard ETFs....
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nun. Appreciate your help.
That's what I heard - and frankly what I'd prefer.

But when I asked Vanguard's uk operation they said that they are all domiciled in the UK or Ireland. And suggested I contact their US operations (which I assume would mean converting to dollars and investing dollars).

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ollylonsf
Thanks Nun. Appreciate your help.
That's what I heard - and frankly what I'd prefer.

But when I asked Vanguard's uk operation they said that they are all domiciled in the UK or Ireland. And suggested I contact their US operations (which I assume would mean converting to dollars and investing dollars).

Any suggestions?
UK Vanguard can't help you and US Vanguard will only open an account for you if you are a US resident. However, you can buy US Vanguard ETFs through UK platforms like Hargreaves and Lansdown. Sometimes these issues aren't as nasty as they appear for the regular investor as allowances lead to zero taxable income.