Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Tax Returns

US Tax Returns

Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:11 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 269
newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by greenteal View Post
good thread.
So i believe i need to file for an extension, send the ITIN applications forms off to the IRS and meet up in person.
That is what we did, although that was 5 years ago. There may be a trip to the nearest IRS office that can authorise you - ours was 3 hrs away
newadventure is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:21 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 820
Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

As far as the ITIN applications are concerned a CAA would be wise.
Cook_County is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 6:58 pm
  #18  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,802
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by greenteal View Post
good thread.
similar situation, relocated in October 2018, used Deloitte for 2018, now on my own.
Just gone through everything using Turbo Tax, seems quite straightforward, but I haven't got an ITIN number for my wife and 3 kids. So i believe i need to file for an extension, send the ITIN applications forms off to the IRS and meet up in person.
I might pay the extra money through Turbotax for a CPA to check over everything.
You have until April 15 to file your return. Why not apply for the numbers and see if you can avoid the extension.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:08 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

yes will try to, i believe it might take 8-10weeks in processing.
and they were accepting appointments end of Feb.
greenteal is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:40 pm
  #20  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

One question when applying for the ITIN.
Just noticed one of my sons UK Passports has expired. Didnt even Realize.
His US Visa though is valid.
Would this be a problem when applying for the ITIN?
greenteal is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:51 pm
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 395
Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by greenteal View Post
One question when applying for the ITIN.
Just noticed one of my sons UK Passports has expired. Didnt even Realize.
His US Visa though is valid.
Would this be a problem when applying for the ITIN?
Well more importantly you might want to check his I-94 because usually CBP only admit people until their passport expiration date - he could be out of status
Olly_ is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:59 pm
  #22  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by Olly_ View Post
Well more importantly you might want to check his I-94 because usually CBP only admit people until their passport expiration date - he could be out of status
I-94 expires next year, we had a 3year work visa L-1a and my wife/kids on the L2.
can extend upto 7years in total.
greenteal is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:56 am
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 395
Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Each person is issued their own I-94 - have you actually checked your son's at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/ ?
Olly_ is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:15 am
  #24  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Yes for sure. as i mentioned, all our I-94 are the same expiry as mine.
so our status here is not the issue.
It was whether when applying for a New ITIN number, would his expired passport become an issue in terms of getting him classed as a dependent.
thanks
greenteal is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:38 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Phyzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 98
Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by greenteal View Post
good thread.
similar situation, relocated in October 2018, used Deloitte for 2018, now on my own.
Just gone through everything using Turbo Tax, seems quite straightforward, but I haven't got an ITIN number for my wife and 3 kids. So i believe i need to file for an extension, send the ITIN applications forms off to the IRS and meet up in person.
I might pay the extra money through Turbotax for a CPA to check over everything.
When I did this a few years a go you needed a reason to get the ITIN, which was to file taxes. I prepared our returns on TurboTax, printed it and took it with the ITIN applications to the IRS office. They then completed the ITIN verification process, numbers were attached to the file which then processed the tax return.
It takes longer to get any refund, but no need for the extension as the official date of filing was when we visited the office.
Phyzz is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:42 pm
  #26  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
greenteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by Phyzz View Post
When I did this a few years a go you needed a reason to get the ITIN, which was to file taxes. I prepared our returns on TurboTax, printed it and took it with the ITIN applications to the IRS office. They then completed the ITIN verification process, numbers were attached to the file which then processed the tax return.
It takes longer to get any refund, but no need for the extension as the official date of filing was when we visited the office.
hey thanks for that. Yes thats what i'm planning to do. just about finished everything on Turbotax. will finalise the ITIN forms today and print it all off. will most likely send everything in the Post, because our meeting with the IRS is not until 3rd March. we would all have to go to that appointment, which is a little tricky for us as a family. thanks again
greenteal is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2020, 7:42 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
steveyell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax Returns

benwuk Interested in your experience of PWC and your first year tax return experiences. I have moved to California 3 weeks ago on an 3yr L1 Visa and my company are also engaging PWC to handle the first yr return, using a combination of US and UK tax specialists knowledge.

Just keen to ensure I start of on the right footing in what sounds an evermore complex area.

Thanks
steveyell is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:05 am
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 820
Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Returns

Originally Posted by steveyell View Post
benwuk Interested in your experience of PWC and your first year tax return experiences. I have moved to California 3 weeks ago on an 3yr L1 Visa and my company are also engaging PWC to handle the first yr return, using a combination of US and UK tax specialists knowledge.

Just keen to ensure I start of on the right footing in what sounds an evermore complex area.

Thanks
The work will mainly be carried out in Bangalore. The tasks offered will be limited to those agreed in PwCs service level agreement with your employer. This may include taking positions that lower your employer's risk rather than those to your specific advantage.
Cook_County is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.