British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US SIM card in UK phone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-sim-card-uk-phone-932634/)

Mattw7 May 11th 2020 11:23 am

US SIM card in UK phone

Afternoon everyone,

Hoping that someone may have some experience of this situation recently.

We are expecting to be moving to the US this year (Covid pending). I’m just wondering if I will just be able to put a US SIM card on some kind of sim only contract in my UK phone and it work in the US?

I need a new phone but don’t want to get an expensive one that won’t work with a US SIM card when we move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Olly_ May 11th 2020 11:55 am

Re: US SIM card in UK phone

Most likely it will work but compatibility will depend on the exact model - what phone are you considering?

Mattw7 May 11th 2020 12:29 pm

A newish iPhone (10 perhaps).

durham_lad May 11th 2020 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mattw7 (Post 12851284)
A newish iPhone (10 perhaps).

We bought our iPhones, version 10, in the US and put in UK SIMs so I'm sure it will work in reverse. Waiting until you are in the US and buying your iPhone at an Apple store will be less expensive, which is why we buy our iPhones while visiting our daughter in the USA every 2 or 3 years.

When we first moved to the UK from the US we had to make sure the iPhones we bought were unlocked but I believe all iPhones that Apple sell are unlocked, just make sure that if you buy your iPhone in the UK it is unlocked as you will be wanting sim-only phone plans.

ivanidea May 11th 2020 1:31 pm

I brought my iPhone 6 from the UK to USA, and put in a T-Mobile sim. This is still working fine.

Guindalf May 11th 2020 2:55 pm

As long as you make sure you're buying an unlocked iPhone. you should have no problems.

capin May 11th 2020 4:52 pm

I moved North Carolina in 2015 and bought my iphone with me. I bought a pay as you go SIM card from Verizon and had no end of problems with it Verizon's support was pathetic but after trawling the internet and phone forums, I found out that Verizon "white list" handsets to be used on their network. Back then, only Verizon handsets would work with a Verizon prepay SIM.

postbox134 May 11th 2020 6:43 pm

I bought my Honor (Huawei) over with me last year, works like a dream on AT&T (and I still have my 3 UK sim in there too). Only got a couple of questions at work about data security despite the same phone in the UK office being fine :)

robtuck May 11th 2020 7:10 pm

It will depend on the network/carrier in each country - T-Mobile is a good example of one that would work in both USA & UK. Essentially it is the network being used by the originating Country you need to consider, then match that with a USA provider on the same frequency (alongside ensuring the Handset itself is not locked to a network).

OldWindsor May 11th 2020 7:17 pm

As long as the phone is unlocked you should be fine. Most of the US providers can sell sim only deals and you can provide the IMEI to check it works with your phone. We did this last week and got 3 months of calls and data for £65 with Mint Mobile.. Great value!

Mattw7 May 12th 2020 4:38 pm

Thank you all for the advice!