Reload this Page >

US SIM card in UK phone

US SIM card in UK phone

Old May 11th 2020, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Mattw7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US SIM card in UK phone

Afternoon everyone,

Hoping that someone may have some experience of this situation recently.

We are expecting to be moving to the US this year (Covid pending). I’m just wondering if I will just be able to put a US SIM card on some kind of sim only contract in my UK phone and it work in the US?

I need a new phone but don’t want to get an expensive one that won’t work with a US SIM card when we move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 11th 2020, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US SIM card in UK phone

Most likely it will work but compatibility will depend on the exact model - what phone are you considering?
Old May 11th 2020, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

A newish iPhone (10 perhaps).
Old May 11th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattw7 View Post
A newish iPhone (10 perhaps).
We bought our iPhones, version 10, in the US and put in UK SIMs so I'm sure it will work in reverse. Waiting until you are in the US and buying your iPhone at an Apple store will be less expensive, which is why we buy our iPhones while visiting our daughter in the USA every 2 or 3 years.

When we first moved to the UK from the US we had to make sure the iPhones we bought were unlocked but I believe all iPhones that Apple sell are unlocked, just make sure that if you buy your iPhone in the UK it is unlocked as you will be wanting sim-only phone plans.
Old May 11th 2020, 1:31 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my iPhone 6 from the UK to USA, and put in a T-Mobile sim. This is still working fine.
Old May 11th 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you make sure you're buying an unlocked iPhone. you should have no problems.
Old May 11th 2020, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved North Carolina in 2015 and bought my iphone with me. I bought a pay as you go SIM card from Verizon and had no end of problems with it Verizon's support was pathetic but after trawling the internet and phone forums, I found out that Verizon "white list" handsets to be used on their network. Back then, only Verizon handsets would work with a Verizon prepay SIM.
Old May 11th 2020, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

postbox134 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my Honor (Huawei) over with me last year, works like a dream on AT&T (and I still have my 3 UK sim in there too). Only got a couple of questions at work about data security despite the same phone in the UK office being fine
Old May 11th 2020, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on the network/carrier in each country - T-Mobile is a good example of one that would work in both USA & UK. Essentially it is the network being used by the originating Country you need to consider, then match that with a USA provider on the same frequency (alongside ensuring the Handset itself is not locked to a network).

Old May 11th 2020, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

OldWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as the phone is unlocked you should be fine. Most of the US providers can sell sim only deals and you can provide the IMEI to check it works with your phone. We did this last week and got 3 months of calls and data for £65 with Mint Mobile.. Great value!
Old May 12th 2020, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the advice!