Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Security Clearance for Non-USC

Wikiposts

US Security Clearance for Non-USC

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Security Clearance for Non-USC

Originally Posted by nun
I've never heard of them actually making it a condition of getting the clearance
It does happen, but it's not common. In the cases I've seen, renouncing UKC has certainly not sped things up - probably there was some underlying reason for requiring the renunciation that was not entirely satisfied by doing as they asked. But, IMVHO, if you're not prepared to renounce, you're not ready for a clearance - it's more than just a career move.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think you'll find that isn't correct. My family in Zimbabwe, as did all Brits there if they wanted to stay, were forced to renounce their British citizenship in order to get Zimbabwean citizenship. This they did and then promptly went back to the British High Commission filled out the form paid the fee and were British again.

My family renounce one week and claimed in back two weeks later.
With respect, I am correct. Section 13(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 gives a (once-only) entitlement to a former British citizen to resume citizenship but only if the renunciation is to acquire or retain another citizenship or nationality.

Resumption following renunciation for any other reason is under section 13(3) of the Act and is discretionary.

If you don't believe me you may wish to peruse Chapter 17 of the Home Office Nationality Instructions:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/pol.../IDIs1/nivol1/

As for your family in Zimbabwe, they lost their Zimbabwe citizenship (which isn't worth much anyway) when they re-acquired their British citizenship, so it's not clear on what exactly they gained from that exercise.

Incidentally, Embassies and High Commissions don't process resumption cases - they are forwarded to the Home Office for decision.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It does happen, but it's not common. In the cases I've seen, renouncing UKC has certainly not sped things up - probably there was some underlying reason for requiring the renunciation that was not entirely satisfied by doing as they asked. But, IMVHO, if you're not prepared to renounce, you're not ready for a clearance - it's more than just a career move.
I actually don't see why someone with dual citizenship is inherently more or less trustworthy than the exact same person (and the same circumstances) would be without a dual citizenship.

It is of course the prerogative of the U.S. to make whatever rules it likes, but reality is that if they are not prepared to trust you as a dual citizen, who's to say they will trust you after you give up your other citizenship?

There have been cases (anecdotal) where this has happened - people have renounced their other citizenship and still been denied security clearance. Unfortunately, if the profile of person that they want is someone who has no ties outside the United States, the reality is that as a naturalized American or an American who has spent time overseas, you're probably not going to fit the mold.

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 2nd 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:05 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I actually don't see why someone with dual citizenship is inherently more or less trustworthy than the exact same person (and the same circumstances) would be without a dual citizenship.
Dual citizens are not necessarily less trustworthy, but they are a greater security risk because of their foreign contacts.

I think it comes down to potential conflict of interest. That's why that are also suspicious of any foreign family. You might have divided loyalties and there is the potential of you choosing another countries interests over those of the US.

I worked on the Joint Striker Fighter for a year and the British guys form BAe Systems were always pissed off because they were excluded from certain meetings. As a dual national I got to go to those meetings, what if some MI5 guy came along and asked me what happened in those meetings for the "good of the UK". What should I do, be loyal to the US or to the UK. Well I know what I would have done, but you can see that its a potential security issue.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:07 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I
Unfortunately, if the profile of person that they want is someone who has no ties outside the United States, the reality is that as a naturalized American or an American who has spent time overseas, you're probably not going to fit the mold.
That sums it up, foreign connections are NOT good. That's obvious from the questions they ask on the form.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree, plenty of stories in the UK Media supporting such a view.

It is of course the prerogative of the U.S. to make whatever rules it likes, but reality is that if they are not prepared to trust you as a dual citizen, who's to say they will trust you after you give up your other citizenship?
You could certainly argue that somebody prepared to renounce themselves for carrer advancement may have larger loyalty issues. Do it once, why not do it twice.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:41 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by nun
Dual citizens are not necessarily less trustworthy, but they are a greater security risk because of their foreign contacts.
But wouldn't these foreign contacts present a security risk anyway, even if the person was no longer a foreign citizen?

I worked on the Joint Striker Fighter for a year and the British guys form BAe Systems were always pissed off because they were excluded from certain meetings. As a dual national I got to go to those meetings, what if some MI5 guy came along and asked me what happened in those meetings for the "good of the UK". What should I do, be loyal to the US or to the UK. Well I know what I would have done, but you can see that its a potential security issue.
Seriously, you would have a lot of good reasons to say no, not least the fact that espionage is a serious offence. There are also "false flag" operations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_flag

But it is legitimate to ask the question in the same circumstances who would be more at risk of being coerced: a person who has retained British citizenship, or a person who has given it up? In many instances, the latter person would ironically be more at risk of coercion unless such person had no family or property ties remaining in the U.K. and no plans ever to return.