Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My Mum just asked me if we're flying or driving to Hawaii.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:57 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone with young kids, there is a great game called 'Scrambled States of America' it works on State Capitals, locating the State's on a map and the State's nickname. Fun while being educational
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

For anyone with young kids, there is a great game called 'Scrambled States of America' it works on State Capitals, locating the State's on a map and the State's nickname. Fun while being educational
I couple of months ago my daughter left her car at our house while she went on holiday. Her car has Ontario plates. My husband decided to get the car serviced for her and took it to our local dealership. The guy in the service department took one look at the plates...got a map of the US out and tried to find the state of Ontario.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I couple of months ago my daughter left her car at our house while she went on holiday. Her car has Ontario plates. My husband decided to get the car serviced for her and took it to our local dealership. The guy in the service department took one look at the plates...got a map of the US out and tried to find the state of Ontario.
I'll reword my post to young children and car mechanics
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd drive, given the option.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I think that things have changed as far as what 'kids' are expected to learn here in the last ten years or so...i'm generalizing mainly about teenagers, (graduates from the last few years) maybe I have just lived in places that are like this, but I haven't met many younger people here that can give correct answers to the which capital=which Sate Q.
I don't really know if its a mandatory 5th grade thing anymore, or if it was just generalized to California. I think in saying that most kids don't know their capitals is just a generalization. Its amazing how different some school districts/cities/States, etc can be. Are schools pushing geography? Don't know. Is it required knowledge to get into college or do a menial job? That may be the answer.