Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Schools..... Comparing them to UK ones

I enquired about a sixth form college place for my son when we were thinking of going back this year.

They had a reference form to be filled out by the US school and wanted copies of the syllabuses to compare the level of attainment, and his grades. Although we didn't continue the application, I got the impression they would have considered his application on this basis even though the format was very different from what a 16-year-old at a UK school would have.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
She probably wouldn't be finished with school here at 16, well not enough to go on to University. However, in saying that, there are no rules written in stone and you will definitely have to talk to the high school your children attend. That really is the best way to get any kind of valid answers to your questions.
I think he means the kind of college you can go to at 16 in the UK, either sixth-form or college of further education..
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he means the kind of college you can go to at 16 in the UK, either sixth-form or college of further education..
I stand corrected, I'm back to thinking of college and university as one and the same.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I stand corrected, I'm back to thinking of college and university as one and the same.
It is very confusing.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of a "set of exams" and then graduate, Bob. If you're thinking of finals, they have those every semester through high school. Some kids now have to pass their state competency tests to graduate, however I don't know if that's everywhere yet.
Well it was a gist kind of thing, and I though most states had some kind of competency tests these days to go with their last set of finals. But then I only really know people who teach in the new england states.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:09 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff
Help....

I have been offered the opportunity to work in Virginia for 2 years from November 2011.

The main stumbling block is my eldest daughter is doing very well at high school here in the UK and in September 2011 will go into Year 10. She is expected to do a number of GCSE's a year early and then have the opportunity to concentrate on some advanced science qualifications for the last year of High School. Whilst it is hard to think so far ahead, after High School she is considering an International Baccalaureate at college before going to University.

I have got as far as looking through Virginia's Department of Education Website, but I cannot find any decent information on schools, standard of education, comparing High School qualifications etc...

Can any of you point me in the right direction, please ? !

Thanks.

Carl.
ID let her finish school in the UK
done and over with at 16 and a half unless she stays on, here they are near 18 when finihsed

And my US nephews and neices, all pretty bright dont have a clue when it comes to geography-(whats the capital of wales --HUH ?, whats the monatary unit in Sweden -Wha ?? etc)

Oh and 3 of my relatives went to Richmond schools-be afraid, be very afraid...
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:08 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
And my US nephews and neices, all pretty bright dont have a clue when it comes to geography-(whats the capital of wales --HUH ?
Would the average British person know the capital of California? California is many, many times the size of Wales and has greater than 12X the population so it's not that ridiculous a question. How about a more obscure state of more similar size like New Hampshire? I highly doubt it. In fact, I seriously doubt a British person on the street could point to New Hampshire on a map.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Would the average British person know the capital of California? California is many, many times the size of Wales and has greater than 12X the population so it's not that ridiculous a question. How about a more obscure state of more similar size like New Hampshire? I highly doubt it. In fact, I seriously doubt a British person on the street could point to New Hampshire on a map.
A very good point. It's easy to mock the geography knowledge of Americans, but your average Brit is pretty lacking in basic knowledge about the US.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

True, and Wales is a poor example, but people should have a general grasp of capital cities of most large countries.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It is very confusing.
It is...in the UK now college is 16 to 18...then hopefully onto university.

In the US...college or school means uni...18 to twentysomething.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

From personal exp' here most of the kids in the US wouldn't know the capitals of most of the States here anyway!

just sayin'
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
From personal exp' here most of the kids in the US wouldn't know the capitals of most of the States here anyway!

just sayin'
When my older daughter was in 5th grade, that was something that had to be mastered. They had to memorize and know the capitals of each state. She did, with no problem. I would imagine that its still something most schools work on. Whether they see it as something that is extremely necessary to know or not, I haven't the foggiest.

I would suggest that "most" kids is a pretty big generalization for a pretty big country.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishtart

just sayin'
My kids seem to have absolutely no clue about geography and how different countries operate. My son didn't know Algeria was in Africa, but then again looking on the football thread, neither did a couple of people on here.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

When my older daughter was in 5th grade, that was something that had to be mastered. They had to memorize and know the capitals of each state. She did, with no problem. I would imagine that its still something most schools work on. Whether they see it as something that is extremely necessary to know or not, I haven't the foggiest.

I would suggest that "most" kids is a pretty big generalization for a pretty big country.
I think that things have changed as far as what 'kids' are expected to learn here in the last ten years or so...i'm generalizing mainly about teenagers, (graduates from the last few years) maybe I have just lived in places that are like this, but I haven't met many younger people here that can give correct answers to the which capital=which Sate Q.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Mum just asked me if we're flying or driving to Hawaii.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.