US Schools?

Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:14 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: US Schools?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
he remembered our camping trips in Italy & France with Eurocamp and much preferred them LOL! (Actually we're doing it this Summer in Italy at his request).
Gosh, I remember going with my parents to France and Italy with Eurocamp when I was a teenager and I loved it too! Great not having to take a tent and all the gear and just have everything set up for you....hoping to do this again with my parents next year so my kids can experience it!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
What I said was:-
"My youngest is falling behind in some subjects and it seemed to me that the time could be better spent in helping the children to improve the skills they have learnt. My husband said that all 'testing' has been completed so no other work is required ... but surely education is more than just 'tests'?"

In other words, even though all the tests had been completed, could the teacher not have spent some time in helping the children to improve the skills they had learnt ... especially for those children who didn't happen to be straight A students.

What I said was sarcastic, but not at your expense. I thoroughly hate that children are taught nothing more (at times) than to pass these standardized tests. And yes, they should be helping all children. But, in this day and age unless your child is ADHD (or whatever the letters are for Attention Deficit) or ready to kill the whole student body with a single gun blast, then he or she will be pushed aside. I'm not a big fan of public schooling.

The celebration at the end of any school year is pretty normal. I think, even when I was younger and schools were not trying to teach the impossible in 5 minutes time, that everyone looked forward to the end of the year and teachers wisely knew they wouldn't get much more instruction into anyone.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Seriously considering giving up my day job and opening 'camp lottie'
I'll be your partner...Geeze!!!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The celebration at the end of any school year is pretty normal. I think, even when I was younger and schools were not trying to teach the impossible in 5 minutes time, that everyone looked forward to the end of the year and teachers wisely knew they wouldn't get much more instruction into anyone.
Last couple days perhaps...but the last week is a bit extreme isn't it?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Last couple days perhaps...but the last week is a bit extreme isn't it?
Why? Do you think kids can't tell when the end of school is near? Do you think their minds will be focused? Especially young kids?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Do you think kids can't tell when the end of school is near? Do you think their minds will be focused? Especially young kids?
We always had the last couple days to mess about a bit, and didn't have a problem doing any work till then, just give the kids work and tell them to knock it off....There's always something they could be doing, it is what there at school for, if it were just a week of messing around, why bother with turning up to school...
Old Jun 11th 2005, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What I said was sarcastic, but not at your expense. I thoroughly hate that children are taught nothing more (at times) than to pass these standardized tests.
Agreed! My youngest really does want to improve, simply because she wants to be the same as her siblings who are all straight A students. I guess I just expected this to be covered at school, but I now realise that it will be up to me to help her improve her reading and writing!

I did notice that just before the 'Star' (is that what it's called?) tests began I received a few letters from the school ... stating that all students should get a nutritious breakfast and plenty of sleep during this very important time ... with the added request for parents to donate snacks. I remember thinking that I didn't need to be told to feed my children or make sure they got enough sleep .. but also wondered why the school would want to give the impression that these basic requirements were only important during testing!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:48 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ours had to go in for one day after memorial day to make up for days lost to hurricanes last year. What did they do? Fek all. They were even told not to bring any books in with them.
Well, at least the childcare issues were taken care of that day!

NC Penguin