Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Patriotism.

US Patriotism.

Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Patriotism.

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
I felt you were referring to the public opinion as portrayed in the media ... "The Daily Mail and it's ilk".
Not really - I think that the Daily Mail was more interested in directing public opinion than truly reflecting it. Thus, the Fox News of its day....
Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Study of the social history of the time, I would argue shows that the publics reaction - as portrayed in the popular media, certainly for the most part, I should add - was one of abhorance and shock to the news from south africa rather than jingoistic support. Several decades before that may have been the case, Sudan for example, but the Boer era? I don't agree with your conclusions at all.
So, you don't agree that some Britons were well-informed and had misgivings about the imperialist adventure, while others knew little about international affairs, but were willing to cheer on the jingoists? I'd have thought mine was a pretty uncontroversial position.....? (Remember, you mentioned the Boer War - I didn't.)
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Not really - I think that the Daily Mail was more interested in directing public opinion than truly reflecting it. Thus, the Fox News of its day....

So, you don't agree that some Britons were well-informed and had misgivings about the imperialist adventure, while others knew little about international affairs, but were willing to cheer on the jingoists? I'd have thought mine was a pretty uncontroversial position.....? (Remember, you mentioned the Boer War - I didn't.)
I did a bit of research on the Boer War, because while I am a history enthuisiast, it pretty much wanes after 1700. Anyway, interesting read, not a pretty one by a long shot.

I know Wiki isn't your preferred source of info, but it does support your position about jingoism in the UK.

Since time immemorial whipping up popular support through emotions against what is perceived as the enemy has been what's turned the tide.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:15 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
And yes, the UK has Remembrance Day on November 11th every year to remember the dead of the World Wars and other conflicts. People buy red paper poppies to support military charities, and people actually observe a one-minute silence (unlike my experience over here, where nobody stops talking for the supposed minute's silence).
And, in the UK, it's not used as yet another excuse for a 'Sale'.

I could not believe it the first time I heard an advert for a Veteran's Day sale for one shop or another!! What's that all about? How does that have any relevance to taking the time to think of those who have sacrificed themselves for the sake of their country?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I did a bit of research on the Boer War, because while I am a history enthuisiast, it pretty much wanes after 1700. Anyway, interesting read, not a pretty one by a long shot.

I know Wiki isn't your preferred source of info, but it does support your position about jingoism in the UK.

Since time immemorial whipping up popular support through emotions against what is perceived as the enemy has been what's turned the tide.
We old folk are so predictable aren't we.... usually you & I are the only ones up & about between 8am and 10am on a Saturday and Sunday! I usually have to wait till like 2am the next morning to get a response from some of our younger and feistier correspondents!! Of course, by that time I've been asleep for four or five hours!!

I was only one-third serious about Wikipedia. I guess I wouldn't use it as final arbiter or as an authority. But, it is an amazing resource and getting noticeably more authoritative as the years go by. I'm registered on Wikipedia and do a bit of editing & cleaning up when I see it is needed. If I had more time, there are a couple of articles I would write where now there are just "stubs."

I work as a reference librarian in a liberal-arts college library. (And, US Government Documents Librarian.. if only Homeland Security knew..) Many times, students will ask me for guidance about their topic... often my first response is, "have you checked Wikipedia?" They are usually aghast and tell me their professor told them not to use Wikipedia or Google!!!!

So I tell that that what their professor probably MEANT was, don't quote Wikipedia in your bibliography or footnotes; but it is a great place to start.

My interest in history pretty much wanes prior to December 16, 1775.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

And the event I allude to happened in England not Massachusetts..
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We old folk are so predictable aren't we.... usually you & I are the only ones up & about between 8am and 10am on a Saturday and Sunday! I usually have to wait till like 2am the next morning to get a response from some of our younger and feistier correspondents!! Of course, by that time I've been asleep for four or five hours!!

I was only one-third serious about Wikipedia. I guess I wouldn't use it as final arbiter or as an authority. But, it is an amazing resource and getting noticeably more authoritative as the years go by. I'm registered on Wikipedia and do a bit of editing & cleaning up when I see it is needed. If I had more time, there are a couple of articles I would write where now there are just "stubs."

I work as a reference librarian in a liberal-arts college library. (And, US Government Documents Librarian.. if only Homeland Security knew..) Many times, students will ask me for guidance about their topic... often my first response is, "have you checked Wikipedia?" They are usually aghast and tell me their professor told them not to use Wikipedia or Google!!!!

So I tell that that what their professor probably MEANT was, don't quote Wikipedia in your bibliography or footnotes; but it is a great place to start.

Well it like anything else-we have to move with the times and take the best of what's offered out there online. Still, to me, nothing will ever take the place of a book, and a laptop is rather difficult to read lying in bed at night-
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:55 pm
Sursum corda

And the event I allude to happened in England not Massachusetts..
Jane Austen was born?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:51 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I dont deny that the british empire commited terrible things in the name of the uk of which the people were probably unaware, but to say that in this day and age being totally unaware of the wider world is acceptable is just ridiculous. I love america, but I think that the people have such a lack of knowledge about the outside world that its just embarassing.
I think what you miss is that many people choose to believe what they want to believe, irrespective of the facts. The fact that technology has increased the availability of information doesn't mean that people want to use it.

People who live in dominant nations tend to see the world differently than those who once tasted empire but no longer have it, who in turn see it differently from those who never had the power in the first place. Populations get drunk on power, then get defensive about it after they've lost it or if they never had it.

A lot of what you decry about the US is the byproduct of having power. Power tends to breed hubris; very few people (or nations) are capable of being judicious with it. When the US eventually falls off of its perch, the next guy will suck, too (probably in Mandarin.)

In other words, the availability of information doesn't matter. If people don't like the data, they simply ignore it. As a species, we are remarkably good at not allowing facts to get in the way of a good argument.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Jane Austen was born?
Exactly. The world was kinda boring before then...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
Sursum corda

Exactly. The world was kinda boring before then...
Are you exhibiting Pride or Prejudice?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Are you exhibiting Pride or Prejudice?
You know what they say; "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a British Expatriate who has time on his hands must be in want of a UK-related hobby or obsession."
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:08 am
Sursum corda

You know what they say; "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a British Expatriate who has time on his hands must be in want of a UK-related hobby or obsession."
Sense and Sensibility
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some very interesting replies!

A question for the Americans following this thread... would you buy something simply because it is american made?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:38 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Wow some very interesting replies!

A question for the Americans following this thread... would you buy something simply because it is american made?
If it was well made I would. Just because it has 'Made in the USA' stamped on it doesn't make for a guaranteed sale. However if the quality is equal I'm definitely going to purchase it. I have to support companies that keep jobs in America and not outsource them.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the great reading everyone!

When I meet people who are spouting all the traditional US lines, "saved your ass in WW2", "the US is the greatest country in the world", and I know they are not capable of a conversation beyond those statements, I just tell them I have parrots at home who will repeat things without really knowing what they are talking about too.

So thanks again to all of you non parrots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.