Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Patriotism.

US Patriotism.

Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Patriotism.

Patriotism in this country is a form of mind control. You are either 'for us' or 'against us' (sound familiar?). Whenever a politician mentions 'the troops' everyone seems to fall into almost religious silence. 'The troops' are the holy grail of patriotism. As a Brit, it all just seems a little fake and forced(even though the intention may be real. It is ok to love your country). A country is great because it just is, if a country has to keep reminding itself of its greatness, how great can it be??
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
But then in the middle of it all was this (photos). We didn't really expect to see this kind of thing - is it unusual for a 4th of July Parade?
In what way? In the small town parade here, anyone can march as long as they have no political advertising or fireworks.

Holy Jesus y Maria.. the parade must be getting ready to start; we just got buzzed by a 'miltary flyover'. Yikes, I wonder who it was?!

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 4th 2008 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
Patriotism in this country is a form of mind control. You are either 'for us' or 'against us' (sound familiar?). Whenever a politician mentions 'the troops' everyone seems to fall into almost religious silence. 'The troops' are the holy grail of patriotism. As a Brit, it all just seems a little fake and forced(even though the intention may be real. It is ok to love your country). A country is great because it just is, if a country has to keep reminding itself of its greatness, how great can it be??
I tend to agree with Jack Dee that the great thing about being English is that when someone says it's St George's Day, you can reply, "Oh is it?" in a totally bored voice.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Patriotism is love for one's country, but I dont think that love should be blind. What annoys me about US patriotism is how so many people can talk about supporting the troops and defending freedom, and yet have no idea about what is going on around the world. The people who actively went to the streets to protest against this bullshit war are the true patriots because they actually care about the US's role in the world. I know people who talk about supporting the troops and defeating 'the terrorists in Iraq' and yet could not tell you anything about the situation. I've met people who still think that the 9/11 attackers were Iraqi! I dont see how you can simultaneously love your country and yet know nothing about it. To me patriotism requires taking an active interest in your country and speaking out when you feel something is wrong, not just blindly waving flags at every opportunity.
Not a bad statement. I do wholeheartedly support the troops because, well, I used to be one, but I also 100% support anyone who'll try and bring a conclusion to the whole Iraq farce as soon as possible, rather than prolonging it for the greed of war profiteers; as is currently the case, it is only them who are benefiting.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
In what way? In the small town parade here, anyone can march as long as they have no political advertising or fireworks.
we just didn't expect to see anything that in some quarters, by some people, could be seen as "unpatriotic". There was also some outright political advertising in our parade - some would-be congressman had an entire float to himself and he and his family were yelling about how he was "rollin' onto congress".
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Patriotism is love for one's country, but I dont think that love should be blind. What annoys me about US patriotism is how so many people can talk about supporting the troops and defending freedom, and yet have no idea about what is going on around the world.................
Is that any different from the populist jingoism of the UK in the late 19th & early twentieth century? I doubt if the average yahoo on the streets of London knew where Afghanistan or Zululand were.. but they were very willing to cheer on the Daily Mail (and its ilk) & the Government when they sent the troops over to kill the natives & be killed. The Americans learned the Imperialist lesson well when they "Remembered the Maine."
Goes with the territory of being the superpower..
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So we just got back from cheering on our local 4th of July parade. Most of it was the usual kind of stuff: marching bands, a beauty queen, bagpipes, vintage cars, a truckload of grizzled WW2 veterans, fire engines, brownies, Trash Gordon from Sesame Street, and Governor John Corzine. But then in the middle of it all was this (photos). We didn't really expect to see this kind of thing - is it unusual for a 4th of July Parade? What do our resident Americans think?
"People's Organization for Progress"... that sounds like a Communist front. "Pas d'ennemis a gauche" ... the old guy carrying the sign looks like a fellow-traveller from way back. One of the problems with the GWOT, we spend so much time looking for rag-heads hiding in our midst, we let our guard down with the commies...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

we just didn't expect to see anything that in some quarters, by some people, could be seen as "unpatriotic". There was also some outright political advertising in our parade - some would-be congressman had an entire float to himself and he and his family were yelling about how he was "rollin' onto congress".
Well - I was never for the war in Iraq - against it from day one. I was certainly in the minority with that view. That being said, I support our troops, meaning I support the men and women who have joined our military and are willing to sacrifice for our country. To me supporting the troops doesn't mean you have to support the war in Iraq - those are separate. I have no issue with the photos you posted - to stand up for what you think is right to me is patriotic.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
"People's Organization for Progress"... that sounds like a Communist front...
well dodgy if you ask me

http://www.njpop.org/
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Patriot... Anarchist... Terrorist... Freedom Fighter... it all depends on your POV.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:15 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Not a bad statement. I do wholeheartedly support the troops because, well, I used to be one, but I also 100% support anyone who'll try and bring a conclusion to the whole Iraq farce as soon as possible, rather than prolonging it for the greed of war profiteers; as is currently the case, it is only them who are benefiting.
Amen.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

a little bit goes a long way God knows on political campaigning, but from a PR standpoint there's an obvious link and opportunity.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:22 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by simongb
Sorry, I don't see it that way, I see it as reminding us for one day that this is where we started and how we started-that we are Americans and in the best sense-no better, no worse than anyone else.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:27 pm
Sursum corda

So we just got back from cheering on our local 4th of July parade. Most of it was the usual kind of stuff: marching bands, a beauty queen, bagpipes, vintage cars, a truckload of grizzled WW2 veterans, fire engines, brownies, Trash Gordon from Sesame Street, and Governor John Corzine. But then in the middle of it all was this (photos). We didn't really expect to see this kind of thing - is it unusual for a 4th of July Parade? What do our resident Americans think?
Well it reminds me of the parades of my childhood except we weren't at war anywhere, so you just had the VFW and the Color Guard for a military statement..

I got a kick out of seeing the sign for Lemonade.

Sincerely, thank you for posting the pics.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Just talked to my daughter - she got to drive the National Seashore Fire Truck in her town's parade! She doesn't work for the National Park Service; but all their firefighters were shipped out yesterday, to help with the fires in California. I'll be doing the atheist's equivalent for praying for their safe return...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.