Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Patriotism.

US Patriotism.

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Patriotism.

Originally Posted by elfman
one question might be to what extent singing "God bless America" at baseball games and driving around with "support the troops" stickers on cars actually translates to any tangible efforts to make life better for miltary personnel or keep them safe from unnecessary harm. For a great many people I suspect that the singing/stickers is as far as their "support" actually goes.
You'd rather they "sponsor-a-sniper"?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
This thread is bombarding me with "John McCain for President" adverts.

Anyway, I'd like to know what an acceptable show of patriotism is? I mean, the ribbon thing I've never really liked but what more do you expect?
Voting and doing jury duty. Most Americans don't.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

As I do many times when researching a reply to a post, I turned to the dictionary. This time I actually turned to two dictionaries, the Merriam-Webster and the Oxford. The word I looked up was "Patriot" and the definitions were, perhaps not surprisingly, slightly different. The first was: "a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it." and the second: "one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests" . Any guesses which was which? Maybe the difference is meaningless, but I found it interesting.

A couple of the previous posts got me thinking and I want to get those thoughts down before I lose them. First the question of military service dictating patriotism. The way I see it, the mere act of wearing the uniform does not a patriot make. True, some of our greatest patriots have been soldiers, but so have some of our greatest traitors and criminals. The desire to serve our nation is an admirable reason to commit a period of your life to our Armed Forces, but not everyone joins for that reason. Much like our police, some join to serve their community and some join, or continue to serve, for less honorable reasons.

Second, bumperstickers and other such public displays of personal conviction are more a proclamation of your beliefs to all those who may see it than an action that actually supports anything at all. This goes for the left as well as the right as a sticker demanding that the reader "Coexist" accomplishes about as much as a "Support Our Troops" magnet. IMHO, of course.

To me, a Patriot is someone who loves their Country more than they love themselves. Someone who treats Country as you would a family member, with love and respect, yet not letting that devotion obscure your vision when it comes to seeing those mistakes and imperfections that we all have. No Nation and no Family is all good or all bad, and you cannot let your dissatisfaction dimish your pride in the positive. With family as with country, when you see need it's your duty to fill that need, though it might mean some personal sacrifice. To me, a good Patriot is a good parent, a good worker, and a good citizen.

BTW, the first definition above was the Oxford, the second was Merriam-Webster.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/patriot?view=uk
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Are Americans too Patriotic or could other countries follow their example in taking so much pride in their country?

With 4th of July just about upon us most houses around here are flying their flags. Lots of people fly them year round. I seldom see anyone fly a flag in the UK
If flying or waving the flag is patriotic, then, yes, many Americans are just that. I know that my Canadian husband always bitched that his country didn't show their flag anywhere near as much as Americans and it ticked him off. It wasn't until the debacle at their Parliament with the Quebec senator that made Canadians take their flags out and hang them from their flagpoles or on their houses.

Regardless of what was the cause of our fight for independence, it was fought and successful. It is a day that we enjoy celebrating and for a vast number of Americans, I'm sure the celebration has nothing to do with freedom but rather having a day off and tradition.

I celebrate it for the day that it is, a day to celebrate the beginning of our independence. I celebrate it because so many men, women, children, died in the Revolution and other wars to allow us to keep that independence. I feel that I honor their sacrifice by showing my pride in my country, the country they were willing to give all their valued.

You don't have to like my reasons and you can lambaste Americans from here to doomsday. It is a national holiday, get over it. We don't begrudge you Guy Fawkes Day when you build large bonfires.

The 4th of July is not about politics or politicans.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 3rd 2008 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear Rete. Yet again, it appears you didn't read the thread before posting. Nobody's lambasting you, and I've seen no sign of any real criticism of your precious nation or its patriotism, for that matter. But once again, don't let that stop you from jumping to the defence of... well, something or other.

'Get over ourselves'? You first!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh dear Rete. Yet again, it appears you didn't read the thread before posting. Nobody's lambasting you, and I've seen no sign of any real criticism of your precious nation or its patriotism, for that matter. But once again, don't let that stop you from jumping to the defence of... well, something or other.

'Get over ourselves'? You first!
Rete jumping into a thread where she has absolutely no idea of the cultural subcontexts is one of our regular BE amusements, though.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Voting and doing jury duty. Most Americans don't.
I'd be surprised if the Brits did!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be surprised if the Brits did!
As far as voting goes, in the last Presidential election approximately two thirds of eligible voters registered to vote and of those 70% voted. So under 50% of eligible voters actually voted. In the UK almost everyone gets registered to vote and 61% voted (unusally low, historically over 70% have).
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As far as voting goes, in the last Presidential election approximately two thirds of eligible voters registered to vote and of those 70% voted. So under 50% of eligible voters actually voted. In the UK almost everyone gets registered to vote and 61% voted (unusally low, historically over 70% have).
But don't you automatically get registered to vote in the UK? I don't even remember if I registered.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But don't you automatically get registered to vote in the UK? I don't even remember if I registered.
Sorry, that's what I meant by "almost everyone gets registered" - the process is essentially semi-automatic in the sense that it's difficult not to be registered. I guess that wasn't clear. So the UK voting turnouts are essentially of the entire eligible voting population whereas that is not the case in the US.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
One can support the troops in making sure they get the care they need, but that doesn't mean you have to support any war.

Agree

Anyways, I completely concur with Dbj..right after 9/11, everyone was on the 'patriot' bandwagon.."let's go kill us some terrorists, God Bless America"..yadda, yadda, yadda. Everyone was quick to make sure they took their hat off during the national anthem, and wear lapel pins, and put bumper stickers all over their cars. It was all a front to make themselves look good, and feel good about themselves - they only did it because everyone else was doing it, because it probably meant very little to most people.

I will most likely never wear a flag pin, put bumper stickers on my car, fly the flag or sing 'God Bless America.' I want God (if he/she exists) to bless the world because everyone is deserving of blessings. To sing GBA just shows how arrogant we are to think we are the only country that deserves to be blessed. I'm ashamed of the benchmarks that are now being used by the Right to show patriotism. To be a real patriot, one needs to show it by their actions and contributions to society, not flimsy symbols that will be gone tomorrow.
Wow Sunflowergirl - I don't see any arrogance in these lyrics:

"God bless America,
Land that I love,
Stand beside her and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above;

From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam,
God bless America,
My home, sweet home.
God bless America,
My home, sweet home."

Where does it say - God Bless America - everyone else should go to hell?

And for the record, I don't wear a flag pin, or have a magnet on my car. But when I stand for the anthem, for America the Beautiful, etc. I am silent and respectful. It's not an act for others - it means something. I would also stand for the anthems of other nations - it's a sign of respect.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

To sing GBA just shows how arrogant we are to think we are the only country that deserves to be blessed.
Then what are your feelings when England sings 'God Save the Queen'? Are you equally as arrogant then?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Then what are your feelings when England sings 'God Save the Queen'? Are you equally as arrogant then?
I don't sing 'God Save the Queen' because I'm not British. I'm a born and bred American. To me, asking God to save someone, who is (was) their leader, is not the same as asking God to bless an entire country.

I just can't stand the premise of the whole 'God Bless America' phrase, period. No matter what the lyrics actually are, it seems everyone I meet just ticks me off with the arrogance that God will bless America because we so right deserve it, and everyone else can go to hell. Maybe it's a Southern attitude I'm seeing being in somewhat rural, mostly Conservative, bible-thumping KY, and the attitudes are different in other areas. But here, it just rubs me the wrong way.

For the record, KJ, I also stand and am silent (or sing) the national anthem. I've never been present anywhere where another anthem was being played, but I would respect someone else's equally as much. I just can't stand the overt, over-zealousness I see here.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 4th 2008 at 2:08 am.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I have a good friend who's in an organization that supports troops in Iraq and who is also adamently opposed to the war. Here's their website:

http://www.bluestarmoms.org/

I really admire her work for this organization. She continually gets branded as being unpatriotic, "stabbing the troops in the back" etc for her opposition to the war. And yet she continues to devote her energies to actually helping the troops.
Ha, I have many friends in a different organization, and they are opposed to the war in Iraq.... I know I certainly was when I was there

Thats what always cracks me up about some of this patriotism tied with the military thing. Most of the people in the military couldn't give a crap, in the sense those who have no inkling about it do. People who join under that misguided theme generally get that knocked out of them very quickly. All the lip service that is given is fine and dandy, and its nice to hear "back home", but the fact of it is that when you are there, it doesnt matter either ways.

But, I do have to say, away from the military and on a "Pride in the nation" basis, the US does put the UK to shame.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tootsie Frickensprinkles;6531536]
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

That's only public buildings .. not private residence. In spite of some of the rubbish that's been spouted over the last few years about the restriction/banning of people flying Union flags or George crosses so as not to 'offend' others, there has never been any such rule.

The Union flag has slowly but surely been repatriated from the BNP, fortunately.
if there were restrictions for flying a flag on public buildings what makes you think there were none for private residences ? Brits actually needed to obtain local planning permission to raise a flagpole (often very difficult if not nearly impossible to get).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.