Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Patriotism.

US Patriotism.

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:00 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Patriotism.

Originally Posted by elfman
one question might be to what extent singing "God bless America" at baseball games and driving around with "support the troops" stickers on cars actually translates to any tangible efforts to make life better for miltary personnel or keep them safe from unnecessary harm. For a great many people I suspect that the singing/stickers is as far as their "support" actually goes.
Singing 'God Bless America' might not help the troops directly but it does serve as a reminder and a way to unite the home front, which is just as important as the battle front, of what is going on. I'm sure you've heard the phrase 'United We Stand, Divided We Fall'. Well that's the edict that is being put into practice. Plus there are very few occasions where you'll have a mass gathering of US citizens.

As for your comment on the stickers. The support goes beyond the sticker. You can't assume that patriotism ends at that. Placing something like a bumper sticker or a yellow ribbon magnet on a car is only part of it. There are care packages that are put together by those who don't even know people out in the field that are sent. There are pen pal relationships developed with soldiers who have no one at home. We vote citizens into office in good faith that they will support the troops with legislation. We fight at home to make sure that veterans come back to ample health care for their physical and mental well being. We take care of spouses and dependents that have loved ones fighting over seas. We do it all.

However, I'm thinking that your thoughts might be influenced by the attitudes that I read about towards troops in the UK. You may not share in the mindset but I do have to wonder. I read this article through a thread that was posted on TIO about how when the troops come home there is no great welcome home or a pat on the back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-heroes.html

Perhaps not the right source to quote with it being the Daily Mail but it does make a statement about attitudes. Also the idea that Parliament is considering an Armed Forces Day in 2008 blows my mind away when other countries have had something similar on the calendar for decades. We actually have 2 days on the calendar, Memorial Day and Veterans Day. If there's something similar on the UK calendar please let me know.

http://news.aol.co.uk/brown-consider...12194709990002
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:06 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Doesn't every British household have picture of the Queen on the wall?
Not the Queen but my dad has a picture of JFK (the person not the airport) up on the wall next to his chair in the living room.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Singing 'God Bless America' might not help the troops directly but it does serve as a reminder and a way to unite the home front, which is just as important as the battle front, of what is going on. I'm sure you've heard the phrase 'United We Stand, Divided We Fall'. Well that's the edict that is being put into practice. Plus there are very few occasions where you'll have a mass gathering of US citizens.

As for your comment on the stickers. The support goes beyond the sticker. You can't assume that patriotism ends at that. Placing something like a bumper sticker or a yellow ribbon magnet on a car is only part of it. There are care packages that are put together by those who don't even know people out in the field that are sent. There are pen pal relationships developed with soldiers who have no one at home. We vote citizens into office in good faith that they will support the troops with legislation. We fight at home to make sure that veterans come back to ample health care for their physical and mental well being. We take care of spouses and dependents that have loved ones fighting over seas. We do it all.

However, I'm thinking that your thoughts might be influenced by the attitudes that I read about towards troops in the UK. You may not share in the mindset but I do have to wonder. I read this article through a thread that was posted on TIO about how when the troops come home there is no great welcome home or a pat on the back.

Perhaps not the right source to quote with it being the Daily Mail but it does make a statement about attitudes. Also the idea that Parliament is considering an Armed Forces Day in 2008 blows my mind away when other countries have had something similar on the calendar for decades. We actually have 2 days on the calendar, Memorial Day and Veterans Day. If there's something similar on the UK calendar please let me know.

You're reading other people's posts in a blinkered fashion.

Putting a Chinese-made yellow ribbon magnet on a 2-mile-per-gallon Tahoe does nothing whatsoever to support the troops, and that's the point being made by elfman. It's a point that has nothing to do with British attitudes to our armed forces. His point (and mine) is that there's plenty of lip service given to supporting the troops over here, but few people actually do anything about it. Clearly you're the exception, and as you've told us, you've lived in military communities where one would expect many more people to actually actively support the troops.

"Unity at home" was used as a phrase to demonize any opponent to the Iraq war. If you weren't trumpeting your support of the war, you were branded unpatriotic. Choosing not to support this impossibly terrible war has nothing to do with supporting the troops, or being patriotic.

And yes, the UK has Remembrance Day on November 11th every year to remember the dead of the World Wars and other conflicts. People buy red paper poppies to support military charities, and people actually observe a one-minute silence (unlike my experience over here, where nobody stops talking for the supposed minute's silence).

Don't somehow assume that America has a monopoly on patriotism and supporting its armed services.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:21 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The flag was hijacked a long time ago. It's the preserve of the loony right hiding their disgusting bigotry behind pseudo patriotism, car dealers, and show houses in new home developments.
Ha HA. perhaps SUV car deaLers and new development realtors are new terrorists in these changed times!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious. I suggest you check the origins of Veterans Day! Memorial Day, iirc, has its origins in the aftermath of the civil war.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 3rd 2008 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

As for your comment on the stickers. The support goes beyond the sticker.

I'm sure it does - for some people.

We vote citizens into office in good faith that they will support the troops with legislation. We fight at home to make sure that veterans come back to ample health care for their physical and mental well being. We take care of spouses and dependents that have loved ones fighting over seas. We do it all.

The Bush administration must have been a very great disappointment to you on all those counts.

However, I'm thinking that your thoughts might be influenced by the attitudes that I read about towards troops in the UK.

Then you are thinking wrongly, and I suggest that reading the Daily Mail will give you a greatly distorted picture of life and attitudes in the UK.

You may not share in the mindset

Which mindset? The Daily Mail? Certainly not. Do I oppose the war in Iraq? I certainly do, but I would never, ever, allow that to translate into any disrespect for the men and women in the British Armed forces.

there is no great welcome home or a pat on the back.

If you only ever read the Daily Mail you could be forgiven for thinking that. And you'd be wrong (see links).

And lets not forget that for most of the war in Iraq there has been a ban in place on photographing dead US soldiers coffins, the press have been banned from attending repatriation ceremonies, and the repatriation flights into places like Dover AFB have been deliberately scheduled so as to arrive in the dead of night to minimize the publicity.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...ingParades.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...ndonParade.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...stnutTroop.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...Deployment.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...ianExpress.htm

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...tishPublic.htm
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
. His point (and mine) is that there's plenty of lip service given to supporting the troops over here, but few people actually do anything about it. Clearly you're the exception, and as you've told us, you've lived in military communities where one would expect many more people to actually actively support the troops.

"Unity at home" was used as a phrase to demonize any opponent to the Iraq war. If you weren't trumpeting your support of the war, you were branded unpatriotic. Choosing not to support this impossibly terrible war has nothing to do with supporting the troops, or being patriotic.
Indeed. I have a good friend who's in an organization that supports troops in Iraq and who is also adamently opposed to the war. Here's their website:

http://www.bluestarmoms.org/

I really admire her work for this organization. She continually gets branded as being unpatriotic, "stabbing the troops in the back" etc for her opposition to the war. And yet she continues to devote her energies to actually helping the troops.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:48 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with elfman on this, all the "Support our Troops" stuff smacks of tokenism. I mean every time I've been to ATL there is always a group of soldiers either coming from or going to Iraq, and sure enough there will always be someone from USO rounding them up and parading them through the airport like a bunch of showponies. The thing is if you look at the soldiers' faces many of them are visibly uncomfortable and/or embarassed by it all. I can understand the reasoning behind it all, but I just don't think it has any benefits.

Then again, it's better than it was during Viet Nam, when the crowd would be more likely to spit at the soldiers than clap...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ash UK/US;6528864] I seldom see anyone fly a flag in the UK

/QUOTE]

The Times March 2008
Ministers will this week announce the lifting of restrictions on flag flying that have been in force since 1924. They will allow public buildings to erect flagpoles and fly the union jack and national flags, including the cross of St George, the Saltire of Scotland and the red dragon of Wales every day.

At present, flying national flags from public buildings is restricted to 18 days a year, which include the Queen’s birthday and Remembrance Day.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

My old Dad never got a parade when he came home from National Service in Cyprus in 1957.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
My old Dad never got a parade when he came home from National Service.
neither did my old man - but he never went further than Crail in Scotland, and doesn't speak with a great deal of fondness about his years in the RAF.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I really admire her work for this organization. She continually gets branded as being unpatriotic, "stabbing the troops in the back" etc for her opposition to the war. And yet she continues to devote her energies to actually helping the troops.
One can support the troops in making sure they get the care they need, but that doesn't mean you have to support any war. Every death is a waste of a life, and we should do anything we can do to help prevent that. The people who think we are still in Iraq for a reason just have blinders on.

Anyways, I completely concur with Dbj..right after 9/11, everyone was on the 'patriot' bandwagon.."let's go kill us some terrorists, God Bless America"..yadda, yadda, yadda. Everyone was quick to make sure they took their hat off during the national anthem, and wear lapel pins, and put bumper stickers all over their cars. It was all a front to make themselves look good, and feel good about themselves - they only did it because everyone else was doing it, because it probably meant very little to most people.

I will most likely never wear a flag pin, put bumper stickers on my car, fly the flag or sing 'God Bless America.' I want God (if he/she exists) to bless the world because everyone is deserving of blessings. To sing GBA just shows how arrogant we are to think we are the only country that deserves to be blessed. I'm ashamed of the benchmarks that are now being used by the Right to show patriotism. To be a real patriot, one needs to show it by their actions and contributions to society, not flimsy symbols that will be gone tomorrow.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
neither did my old man - but he never went further than Crail in Scotland, and doesn't speak with a great deal of fondness about his years in the RAF.
I think most of those that did National Service have a jaded view of the Military. My dad was for some reason put in the Military Police (RMP) and spent most of his time fighting with our own soldiers. Pulling them out of brothels and settle local grievances, like non payment of taxi fares and the busting up of bars.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is bombarding me with "John McCain for President" adverts.

Anyway, I'd like to know what an acceptable show of patriotism is? I mean, the ribbon thing I've never really liked but what more do you expect?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;6531448]
Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I seldom see anyone fly a flag in the UK

/QUOTE]

The Times March 2008
Ministers will this week announce the lifting of restrictions on flag flying that have been in force since 1924. They will allow public buildings to erect flagpoles and fly the union jack and national flags, including the cross of St George, the Saltire of Scotland and the red dragon of Wales every day.

At present, flying national flags from public buildings is restricted to 18 days a year, which include the Queen’s birthday and Remembrance Day.
That's only public buildings .. not private residence. In spite of some of the rubbish that's been spouted over the last few years about the restriction/banning of people flying Union flags or George crosses so as not to 'offend' others, there has never been any such rule.

The Union flag has slowly but surely been repatriated from the BNP, fortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.